Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is sad news.. you mean this (Google maps short link: Google Maps ) is no longer there??
The link takes me to Google Maps App download - which I don't use. But if your pin is on downtown Denver, the story going around the Forum (and quietly sort of affirmed) is nearly everyone was let go and the remaining employees placed in Ricoh B2B locations, primarily in New Jersey.

As for as supply of K-1's shipped to B&H and Adorama, I know for a fact K-1's were allocated in advance to the entire USA Dealer network. The big NY dealers accepted more pre-orders than they were ever going to be able to fill - and they knew it - and they retained the 'Available' date (late March) on their websites until just before actual release. Then they blamed Pentax for not supplying them.

I was pretty angry about that so I canceled my preorder and was able to purchase a K-1 over the counter locally from a B&M Dealer Day 3. The NY Dealers have permanently lost my trade even if it costs me more to buy locally.

09-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The link takes me to Google Maps App download - which I don't use. But if your pin is on downtown Denver, the story going around the Forum (and quietly sort of affirmed) is nearly everyone was let go and the remaining employees placed in Ricoh B2B locations, primarily in New Jersey.

As for as supply of K-1's shipped to B&H and Adorama, I know for a fact K-1's were allocated in advance to the entire USA Dealer network. The big NY dealers accepted more pre-orders than they were ever going to be able to fill - and they knew it - and they retained the 'Available' date (late March) on their websites until just before actual release. Then they blamed Pentax for not supplying them.

I was pretty angry about that so I canceled my preorder and was able to purchase a K-1 over the counter locally from a B&M Dealer Day 3. The NY Dealers have permanently lost my trade even if it costs me more to buy locally.
It takes me (on two different computers) to the google maps website (in browser).

In any case yes the link goes to street view at 686 17th street or so in denver, CO. I remember a forum member much earlier in the year (or was it last?) visiting there and meeting Martha and the other Ricoh staff there.

That would be another set back if true that they were let go..

update: I see on linked in that martha now works as a manager for another company for about 5 months now. yikes.

Last edited by mee; 09-30-2016 at 04:33 PM.
09-30-2016, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

686 17th street or so in denver, CO
I'm not making any promises but if I find the time this weekend or whenever I'll drive there for grins and see what's really out there. It's a good 20 minutes from where I live...
09-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It takes me (on two different computers) to the google maps website (in browser).

In any case yes the link goes to street view at 686 17th street or so in denver, CO. I remember a forum member much earlier in the year (or was it last?) visiting there and meeting Martha and the other Ricoh staff there.

That would be another set back if true that they were let go..

update: I see on linked in that martha now works as a manager for another company for about 5 months now. yikes.
Jim Malcolm 'left' March 30. Coincidentally the end of Ricoh's Fiscal Year.

Here's the only direct contact info I can find on the website. It's from the K-1 Press Release - this is who you contact at Pentax for info about K-1:

For More Information, Contact:
Barbara Hagin
Breakaway Communications for Ricoh
(415) 358-2484
bhagin@breakawaycom.com

They've even outsourced the Press Releases now.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-30-2016 at 09:04 PM.
09-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

K57XR: Ok no worries if you don't, but it would be interesting to know.. btw you live in a gorgeous area. Looking at that business district, and a few other areas randomly on street view, it is so clean and orderly. That's so nice.

monochrome: hmmm.. that's rather sad news in all respects. It seems Ricoh is not done stripping clean the 'infrastructure' ..including their own house. Why would they do that?
09-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A wobbly barrel is an assembly error. It isn't impact damage.
I guess it depends on the lens. I took in a Tokina zoom as part of a package deal a few years back that had a wobble when extended. On disassembly the chassis had a crack that extended the full length of the lens. There was no obvious external indication of impact or mistreatment other than a bent filter ring. That is why I caution people on this site that not all drop or impact damage is obvious and that any symptom should be taken seriously.

Steve
09-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess it depends on the lens. I took in a Tokina zoom as part of a package deal a few years back that had a wobble when extended. On disassembly the chassis had a crack that extended the full length of the lens. There was no obvious external indication of impact or mistreatment other than a bent filter ring. That is why I caution people on this site that not all drop or impact damage is obvious and that any symptom should be taken seriously.

Steve
The problem I have is I didn't drop it and there is no indication externally of any issue

09-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
The problem I have is I didn't drop it and there is no indication externally of any issue
OK...there was no intent to suggest you have been careless with your gear. My comment was in response to monochrome's comment, not your particular issue. It may be that your lens had a casting flaw or similar from the factory. Who knows and without seeing Ricoh's photos, it is not possible to dissect their logic in denying warranty repair or replacement. The good news is that you have a Fair Trade policy on the lens. Chances are they will cut you a check on the spot and all will be good.

Steve
09-30-2016, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Veteran Member

It may be that your lens had a casting flaw or similar from the factory. Who knows and without seeing Ricoh's photos, it is not possible to dissect their logic in denying warranty repair or replacement. The good news is that you have a Fair Trade policy on the lens. Chances are they will cut you a check on the spot and all will be good.
What about those relying on their Pentax warranty to honestly handle their claim? Do we need 2 warranties now in case Precision decides not to honor the terms of the warranty they are contracted to support? It doesn't speak well for them...
10-03-2016, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK...there was no intent to suggest you have been careless with your gear. My comment was in response to monochrome's comment, not your particular issue. It may be that your lens had a casting flaw or similar from the factory. Who knows and without seeing Ricoh's photos, it is not possible to dissect their logic in denying warranty repair or replacement. The good news is that you have a Fair Trade policy on the lens. Chances are they will cut you a check on the spot and all will be good.

Steve
Steve no worries. i didn't take you message that way. yes i told them i had the warranty but they should stand behind their product. Really wondering if i want to buy anymore pentax because I never want to have to deal with precision or pentax not standing behind their warranty
10-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Really wondering if i want to buy anymore pentax because I never want to have to deal with precision or pentax not standing behind their warranty
If they include the photos with your lens, you might want to post them here. I am curious as to what they labeled as impact damage.

Steve
10-06-2016, 12:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I got a call from precision and can't say I'm happy. I don't trust them and unfortunately I have to wait until it gets back from JAPAN via Connecticut to send it off to square trade to be repaired.

Hello Ms. Pearsall,

As we just discussed on the phone we are working with Management at Ricoh to expedite the return of your Pentax 24-70 lens from the parent factory in Japan. The request to return the lens unrepaired was already in process, I reached out to them and requested that the return shipment be expedited so that you can work with Square Trade to have this issue resolved. I will provide you with the tracking number of the shipment from Japan to Precision Camera and personally oversee the return of the lens to you as soon as it arrives at our facility in CT.

I apologize for the mis-communication informing you that the lens was at the factory in Colorado. We have updated this information with our call center agents and are working with Ricoh Management to put new procedures in place to expedite the repair process for products that need repair at the parent factory.

Please reach out to me directly with any additional questions you may have.

Best Regards,

Dave Marsh

David Marsh | Vice President - Sales & Marketing | Precision Camera, Inc.
E: DMarsh@PrecisionCamera.com | A: 7 Anngina Drive, Enfield, CT 06082 | T: 860.272.2117 | M: 860.967.4699

I am not sticking up for anyone here, just throwing out some ideas.

It seems Precision claimed impact damage, and then sent it to Pentax for further evaluation? Or to have it repaired by Pentax and have you pay for the repair? Or why did they send it to Pentax in Colorado?

It seems Pentax probably sent it (or intended to send it) to Tamron, the maker of the lens. (If it were a Pentax produced lens that needed to go back to where it was made that would be Vietnam, not Japan.) Traditionally, Tamron has a good reputation for customer service, so I'm kind of guessing that Tamron would have fixed it or replaced it if they had been allowed to do so, but we don't really know as the process was short circuited. (And I don't blame you for doing so considering you had the Square trade warranty.)

But if I had a bad 24-70mm I would have considered it encouraging that it was going back to Tamron. Ultimately they were/are responsible for the construction of the lens and ultimately it's up to them (and Pentax/Ricoh) to make it good. Unfortunately, Precision could seem to care less if Pentax/Ricoh's reputation is good or bad and hence they have a bad reputation among Pentaxians and for good reason. But if you managed to get past them and have Pentax and Tamron involved I would think they would have eventually made it right, given the chance to do so.

My real point is, this is part of the game when you buy Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon. Repairs or warranties involve middle men and these middle men are less than interested in your complete happiness. And Ricoh is pretty disorganized in US right now as well. I'm not saying it's right, but it is the way it is. It's also why the 24-70 doesn't cost $2400, and why the K1 doesn't cost $3500.

I had a problem with a Canon 16-35mm F2.8 a few years back and had the manager of Canon service in California calling me with updates after they dropped the ball. That's NEVER going to happen with Pentax and I just accept that.

Again just throwing out a different perspective, not saying anyone is wrong. (Except Precision for not caring and Ricoh for not communicating and using Precision in the first place.)
10-06-2016, 05:42 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I am not sticking up for anyone here, just throwing out some ideas.

It seems Precision claimed impact damage, and then sent it to Pentax for further evaluation? Or to have it repaired by Pentax and have you pay for the repair? Or why did they send it to Pentax in Colorado?

It seems Pentax probably sent it (or intended to send it) to Tamron, the maker of the lens. (If it were a Pentax produced lens that needed to go back to where it was made that would be Vietnam, not Japan.) Traditionally, Tamron has a good reputation for customer service, so I'm kind of guessing that Tamron would have fixed it or replaced it if they had been allowed to do so, but we don't really know as the process was short circuited. (And I don't blame you for doing so considering you had the Square trade warranty.)

But if I had a bad 24-70mm I would have considered it encouraging that it was going back to Tamron. Ultimately they were/are responsible for the construction of the lens and ultimately it's up to them (and Pentax/Ricoh) to make it good. Unfortunately, Precision could seem to care less if Pentax/Ricoh's reputation is good or bad and hence they have a bad reputation among Pentaxians and for good reason. But if you managed to get past them and have Pentax and Tamron involved I would think they would have eventually made it right, given the chance to do so.

My real point is, this is part of the game when you buy Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon. Repairs or warranties involve middle men and these middle men are less than interested in your complete happiness. And Ricoh is pretty disorganized in US right now as well. I'm not saying it's right, but it is the way it is. It's also why the 24-70 doesn't cost $2400, and why the K1 doesn't cost $3500.

I had a problem with a Canon 16-35mm F2.8 a few years back and had the manager of Canon service in California calling me with updates after they dropped the ball. That's NEVER going to happen with Pentax and I just accept that.

Again just throwing out a different perspective, not saying anyone is wrong. (Except Precision for not caring and Ricoh for not communicating and using Precision in the first place.)

If I get any pictures I will post. Maybe I should have waited to see the cost but at the time I thought it was somewhere in the US and they wouldn't tell me anything but in Colorado. If originally I had known it was in Japan I may have been more patient but even if they send me the pictures it still doesn't tell me how it happen and now I have to make up a story with square trade to say I dropped it or I may end up in a horrible vortex of them saying pentax needs to fix it and pentax saying it has impact damage. At this point I hope to get it back Friday or Monday. Such an extremley frustrating situation and dread the thought of ever having to deal with Precision.I want a working lens so now I have to turn around and deal with Square trade and how long that will take...GRR
10-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

If I get any pictures I will post. Maybe I should have waited to see the cost but at the time I thought it was somewhere in the US and they wouldn't tell me anything but in Colorado. If originally I had known it was in Japan I may have been more patient but even if they send me the pictures it still doesn't tell me how it happen and now I have to make up a story with square trade to say I dropped it or I may end up in a horrible vortex of them saying pentax needs to fix it and pentax saying it has impact damage. At this point I hope to get it back Friday or Monday. Such an extremley frustrating situation and dread the thought of ever having to deal with Precision.I want a working lens so now I have to turn around and deal with Square trade and how long that will take...GRR

I understand the frustration. This is a situation that should have been a seamless no-hassle event for you. I had my own ordeal with them and now loathe the thought of having to use them again (even though I have another lens that I'd like repaired). It is the number one aspect of Pentax I would like corrected due to how bad it is. Over new lenses, over lower prices, over fancy camera technologies. Just repair the repair services in this country.

They aggravate the situation by having a stranglehold on repair services here. It isn't just a Ricoh/Pentax situation as the other brands do it. However, what makes the Pentax situation worse is by having the lone repair facility. With Canon or Nikon if you don't like Precision then fine, pick one of the many other authorized repair facilities they offer. That makes more sense to me.

It isn't a big deal when the lone repair facility does a competent, honest job every time.. but this place does not, so it makes it so frustrating and potentially problematic using Pentax in this country. I feel for you, Amy, because I've been there.
10-06-2016, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bet is, in order to get better pricing from Precision, Precision required they be the exclusive authorized repair contractor. In order to ensure that, Pentax also stopped selling parts to the 'public'.

This is a symptom of a failed regional Distributor business model. Virtually everything is outsourced to a contractor, so the incentive is to do less than required, rather than overserve the customer.