Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I finally got my lens back. I don't know if it is because it was taken apart but currently there is no lens wobble. They did not send me pictures so don't know what lens impact looks like and I haven't had a chance to see how the pictures look with the lens. Will keep you posted but plan to try it out before I deal with Square Trade.

10-10-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The link takes me to Google Maps App download - which I don't use. But if your pin is on downtown Denver, the story going around the Forum (and quietly sort of affirmed) is nearly everyone was let go and the remaining employees placed in Ricoh B2B locations, primarily in New Jersey.

As for as supply of K-1's shipped to B&H and Adorama, I know for a fact K-1's were allocated in advance to the entire USA Dealer network. The big NY dealers accepted more pre-orders than they were ever going to be able to fill - and they knew it - and they retained the 'Available' date (late March) on their websites until just before actual release. Then they blamed Pentax for not supplying them.

I was pretty angry about that so I canceled my preorder and was able to purchase a K-1 over the counter locally from a B&M Dealer Day 3. The NY Dealers have permanently lost my trade even if it costs me more to buy locally.
I was in Denver three weeks ago and I can confirm that Pentax has moved from the building. I went up to the floor indicated and the doors are locked and no one is there. I called the 1800 number and they moved to somewhere in New Jersey?
10-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I tried my lens out today. Prior to sending it in to precision the lens would autofocus fine at short focal lengths and would periodically focus accurately at 70 mm. Manual focus was not a problem at all. Now it won't focus at all. Yes I told precision not to fix it but I didn't tell them to make it worse then it was. Totally unbelievable.
10-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
but I didn't tell them to make it worse then it was
That's inexcusable. Sorry to hear about that. What a bummer.

Maybe a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? Especially since they sent back a now unusable lens, that was previously usable for some of the range with AF, and usable for all of the range via manual focus.

I occasionally check on companies there and have used feedback as a reason not to buy from them. Most good companies don't like negative feedback there. I don't know what their policy is now, but years ago the BBB went to bat for me with good results.

Anybody know if they are the only game in town for the other major camera manufacturers too? If not, feedback with the BBB might save some Nikon, Canon & other users similar problems, as they would know to look elsewhere.

10-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

Well I tried my lens out today. Prior to sending it in to precision the lens would autofocus fine at short focal lengths and would periodically focus accurately at 70 mm. Manual focus was not a problem at all. Now it won't focus at all. Yes I told precision not to fix it but I didn't tell them to make it worse then it was. Totally unbelievable.
Sadly, I'm not surprised. I would express your thoughts at Ricoh Imaging/Pentax customer support... explain the history and the end result. See if they will work with you. You might have to persist.. but I'm hoping you get a more positive result.
10-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Pecision got my lens on Sept 1. The lens was 2 months old and had a wobble in the barrel. So Precision first told me 5-7 business days so I contacted them on the 15th and they told me they had shipped it to the factory in colorado. No idea what factory they are talking about and I couldn't contact the factory. So I called Precision several times since and they said they had no idea how long it would take. They called me on the 26th and said the factory said the lens had impact damage. I told them no way it had any impact damage and if it had I would have sent it to Square trade because I have accidental coverage. They told me they would talk to the factory and call me back. I called them yesterday and they said they were waiting on pictures from the factory showing the impact damage. I told them I did not care about any pictures and wanted my lens sent back. I feel like my lens is being held hostage and honestly have no idea how they could be calling it impact damage. So immensely frustrated and wondering what I did to to have caused it and worried after it is fixed will it happen again. I just want my lens back. All I can say is be careful if you have this lens. Maybe I got one that wasn't solid but I am literally scratching my head over this.
Amy, I've been looking at this lens, but boyo'boy! it's stupid money for what it is, especially compared to the Tamron it is and the Sigma alternative. The reviews are also so-so. Perhaps a Sigma 2.8/24-70 would be a better option?

The 2.8/70-200 I bought is frankly stunning, faultless . . . as lenses go, perfection imo.
10-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the support everyone. I'm just extremely disappointed and I have spent so much $ with Pentax and just wanted them to stand behind their product. I will file a claim with Square trade on Monday and hopefully will be able to get it fixed quickly. Had the lens for 2 months. In the shop for about 6 weeks and now back in the shop. Togger I wanted a WR lens and unfortunately Sigma is not. I do agree they make some excellent products.

10-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #38
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm just extremely disappointed and I have spent so much $ with Pentax and just wanted them to stand behind their product. I will file a claim with Square trade on Monday and hopefully will be able to get it fixed quickly. Had the lens for 2 months. In the shop for about 6 weeks and now back in the shop. Togger I wanted a WR lens and unfortunately Sigma is not. I do agree they make some excellent products.
Yes.. if Pentax won't do anything, it seems squaretrade and other 3rd party warranties are our only option when buying Pentax lenses. I apparently kicked up enough dust with Pentax support (not Precision but Ricoh Imaging/Pentax directly) that they eventually resolved my lens issue. But Precision didn't try to claim impact damage on mine either.. they just simply couldn't figure out how to adjust infinity focus hahhaha.

Interestingly, I've noticed (and continue to notice) that it seems to be mostly lens issues with Precision. On the whole, I've seen far less complaints on the forums (both here and abroad) with Precision's ability to support camera bodies versus their support for K mount lenses.

I, perhaps naively, think if us squeaky wheels squeak enough that Ricoh Imaging will actually correct the repair services issue in the USA by giving Precision Camera Repair the boot and either taking support in house or finding some other service centers who care.

Please keep us informed of how ST handles the situation. I may go the ST route myself..
10-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I, perhaps naively, think if us squeaky wheels squeak enough that Ricoh Imaging will actually correct the repair services issue in the USA by giving Precision Camera Repair the boot and either taking support in house or finding some other service centers who care.
Unfortunately there is no 'house' into which to take repairs - there is no House at all - and there isn't really another contract repair shop either (aside from C.R.I.S.).
10-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #40
mee
Veteran Member

Unfortunately there is no 'house' into which to take repairs - there is no House at all - and there isn't really another contract repair shop either (aside from C.R.I.S.).
Yes sadly that seems true.. well... right now there isn't. But there are tons of repair shops. Ricoh would need to spend the $$$ on getting some of them within the Pentax fold.

I suggested that lens rentals open a repair facility (and charge highly for their services). They said they have (are?) considering a repair services venture.. but I'm sure that takes a lot of time to stand up. Only issue, with pentax, is even if Lens Rentals did offer repair services, they'd still likely get the big 'n-o' from Ricoh about ordering parts. That seems to be the larger issue for 3rd party support. Ricoh is squeezing it's hand, not letting go of the parts ordering.
10-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ricoh is squeezing it's hand, not letting go of the parts ordering.
Do you suppose that might be a condition of the contract with Precision?
10-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #42
mee
Veteran Member

Do you suppose that might be a condition of the contract with Precision?
I have no inside knowledge. But it is fairly common knowledge that is exactly what Nikon did so I'm going to assume (rut roh, I said the 'a' word haha) that is what Ricoh is doing too.

With Nikon, if you're not in their inner circle of 20 or so authorized repair facilities then you're probably not getting parts. Even if you've been repairing Nikon cameras for decades as an insured repair shop. Been that way since 2012 or so I think. A few months ago I noticed there was an organization looking to change that via push from Congress! But I think, at the time, it was limited to 3 or 4 states with representation pushing for 'unlocking' of parts sales.

From looking at it on this side of the window, I'd say Ricoh did a very similar thing. Except they limited parts to a single shop. I can't imagine it NOT being a part of the back scratching circle.. (we'll accept your low-ball contract for beans, but you have to ensure we're the only game in town)
10-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am sending to square trade today. When I spoke to the gentleman on the phone he said you do realize we will probably send it off to the manufacturer for repair
10-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes.
10-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Had the lens for 2 months. In the shop for about 6 weeks and now back in the shop.
This is sad history, particularly since you probably could have gotten the lens replaced by the seller within the first month of ownership. I hope you get fast and satisfactory response from Fair Trade.

Steve