Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Pentax K30 after a fall !!

Hello dear forum.
My camera fell of my hands and now it has the following problem:

I need to keep the exposure -2 in order to take an almost normal photo. Otherwise the photo is overexposed, but...
if I turn on my flash (on camera flash) then everything goes back to normal (I must put the ev to 0 otherwise my photo is underexposed).

Does anyone has any clue on what that might be and what to do in that case?
Should I try and open my camera?

Thank you all in advance

10-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christos29 Quote
Does anyone has any clue on what that might be and what to do in that case?
Should I try and open my camera?
Sorry to hear this, Christos29. If you don't know what your doing, you might end up with a bigger problem.
I guess you could gently shake the camera to see if there area any loose pieces. If it was mine, I would
take the battery out and let it sit for a few hours. Removing power MAY reset the electronics. If that doesn't help,
it would be best to contact your closest authorized repair facility. Good luck.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-penta...e-listing.html
10-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that it is a K30 I would wonder if the aperture actuation is not working right. Since P-TTL flash can adjust light based on what it gets back from the preflash it can adjust to the aperture not working as expected.

Face the camera towards youself - set it to f/22 or something nutty small. Fire the shutter while looking in the lens with enough light to see the aperture. Does it close down to a tiny hole or does it look bigger than expected. Now try f/4, then f/8 - compare it to a similar manual aperture lens of the same focal length if possible.

Also do you have multiple lenses you can try?
10-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your replies. I left the camera without battery for 8 hours and the problem still exists. Also I tried multiple lenses and I saw the aperture and it seemed to be ok. Small enough and big enough when it should...
The problem disappears when I shoot through live view or when I use the flash. So I guess there is some problem with the light sensor?
The next thing to do is to go to some service center.

Thank you very much again for your replies.
Ciao!!!

10-12-2016, 02:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds actually more like a slow shutter problem. Flash exposure is more or less unaffected by shutter speed.