Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kjphilippona's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wrong Side of Heaven
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 884
Can not fine focus adjust Tamron 70-200 on my K-3

I have tried to fine adjust the focus on my K-3 with the Tamron 70-200 mounted. Even at the max -10 the lens still shows back focus on my Datacolor SpyderLensCal Autofocus Calibration Aid. Is there any thing i can do

10-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,795
I had two copies of this lens in a row with front-focusing that couldn't be adjusted out using AF fine adjustment. My Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 was the same. Sadly, I gave up on the 70-200 and bought the DA*60-250 instead. However, I sent my 28-75 in to Tamron's UK distributor and service center, and they returned it after about a week, properly calibrated (it works perfectly now with -4 AF fine adjustment). I'd suggest you send yours in too... I'm sure they'll be able to sort it out.
10-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 542
if the lens is back focusing you need positive adjustment, not negative
10-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kjphilippona's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wrong Side of Heaven
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 884
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
if the lens is back focusing you need positive adjustment, not negative
Sorry for wrong wording At -10 on the camera, the fine focus is around 2 closest to the camera.

10-18-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 690
It needs calibrating. If it's in warranty, send it to them and it should be mostly free (apart from postage). Their warranty is location dependent, I'm not sure how long it is on the other side of heaven, but here it is 5 years as long as you register it at purchase.
10-18-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,795
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Their warranty is location dependent, I'm not sure how long it is on the other side of heaven, but here it is 5 years as long as you register it at purchase.
Plus - here in the UK, at least - even if your lens is outside of warranty or (shock horror ) "grey market", they will still accept it as a chargeable service job. Not cheap, but not that expensive either... I think about 80 - 90 inc VAT, and the lens comes back calibrated, tested and clean.
10-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 690
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Plus - here in the UK, at least - even if your lens is outside of warranty or (shock horror ) "grey market", they will still accept it as a chargeable service job. Not cheap, but not that expensive either... I think about 80 - 90 inc VAT, and the lens comes back calibrated, tested and clean.
Yes, I took the grey market risk myself and can get it done three times for the money I saved on my two lenses. Not that I needed it, thankfully.
Save
10-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
GolNat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA-Delaware
Posts: 131
I am having a similar issue with my Tamron 17-50. At 2.8 it didn't look very sharp. I set the in camera adjustment to -10 and it is a lot better but I feel like maybe it could be even more so if I send it in for calibration. Mine is grey market as I bough it used from Japan but for what I paid I wouldn't mind spending a little to make it better. I was going to try calling the US repair department to see if they can give me an estimate on cost.

10-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,795
QuoteOriginally posted by GolNat Quote
I am having a similar issue with my Tamron 17-50. At 2.8 it didn't look very sharp. I set the in camera adjustment to -10 and it is a lot better but I feel like maybe it could be even more so if I send it in for calibration
Are you using a tripod and a reliable test subject? Also, have you tried the full range of calibration settings one by one, from +10 through 0 to -10, and confirmed that it is more in focus at -10 than any of the other settings? If you've done that, and you're absolutely sure it's a case of having reached the limit of adjustment, then calibration would almost certainly help.
10-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
GolNat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA-Delaware
Posts: 131
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Are you using a tripod and a reliable test subject? Also, have you tried the full range of calibration settings one by one, from +10 through 0 to -10, and confirmed that it is more in focus at -10 than any of the other settings? If you've done that, and you're absolutely sure it's a case of having reached the limit of adjustment, then calibration would almost certainly help.
I did not do all of that. I did use a tripod, 2 sec delay, camera at 45 degree angle, aiming at a green sticker on a book. The green sticker was out of focus at 50mm and f2.8. When I changed the number by only 2 I didn't notice anything so I started doing bigger steps. Went the wrong way at first so I went the other way and only did -5, then went -10 and said "hey that looks better".

So are you saying that -8 or -9 could be better then the -10? I figured it was a linear scale and was measuring distance.
10-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kjphilippona's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wrong Side of Heaven
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 884
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It needs calibrating. If it's in warranty, send it to them and it should be mostly free (apart from postage). Their warranty is location dependent, I'm not sure how long it is on the other side of heaven, but here it is 5 years as long as you register it at purchase.
I purchased the lens from a member on the Marketplace, not sue how old it is
10-18-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,795
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I purchased the lens from a member on the Marketplace, not sue how old it is
It's highly likely they didn't know that the lens might need calibration. It seems a number of people assume that the lens just isn't that sharp at f/2.8 and/or at close distances, so they stop down to f/4 or f/5.6 at which point the depth of field is probably enough to give decent results. It's also more than possible that on their camera body, it was within the +/-10 limits for AF fine adjustment.

The good news is that this isn't an uncommon situation, and you can get it calibrated by Tamron's service facility. It will cost, yes, but only a fraction of what the lens is worth - and it makes sense to get such a nice lens performing as it should. While the lens is at the service facility, they'll check it over generally, so you'll have peace of mind that everything else works properly too

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.
10-18-2016, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,795
QuoteOriginally posted by GolNat Quote
I did not do all of that. I did use a tripod, 2 sec delay, camera at 45 degree angle, aiming at a green sticker on a book. The green sticker was out of focus at 50mm and f2.8. When I changed the number by only 2 I didn't notice anything so I started doing bigger steps. Went the wrong way at first so I went the other way and only did -5, then went -10 and said "hey that looks better".

So are you saying that -8 or -9 could be better then the -10? I figured it was a linear scale and was measuring distance.
It is a linear scale, yes. Can I recommend that you read and follow the process outlined here:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles

Hope this helps
10-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kjphilippona's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wrong Side of Heaven
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 884
Original Poster
Thanks Mike, this was very helpful. my only question is, does it matter if the test is done indoors or out ?
10-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,795
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Thanks Mike, this was very helpful. my only question is, does it matter if the test is done indoors or out ?
You're welcome Indoor or outdoor is fine, but you want a good amount of light... e.g. natural light from big windows on a bright day, or strong incandescent (not fluorescent) overhead lighting like you'd have in the kitchen.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
focus, focus adjust tamron, k-3, pentax service, repair, service, tamron, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you have to fine adjust the focus on your K-1? Lampo Pentax K-1 39 12-13-2016 11:46 AM
Fine Dust in D-FA* 70-200 2.8 Zoom/Focus Rings Joshua A Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 06-12-2016 03:06 PM
Manual lens works fine on K200d but not on K-3 simon_199 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 03-29-2015 08:39 PM
Tamron 70-200 auto focus faster with k-3 or k-5 IIs ? skid2964 Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 01-25-2014 12:27 AM
K-01 with Tamron 70-200 will not nail focus treebeard Pentax K-01 8 03-22-2013 05:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top