Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Use Yarn as Light Seals for KM?

Read somewhere that one can use black yarn for light seal replacement. Any experiences?

Sincerely

10-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would expect fibers in the yarn to be problematic. As a temp fix before sending a camera in for a professional fix, black camera tape over every seam where light can leak is inconvenient but works well.
10-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would expect fibers in the yarn to be problematic. As a temp fix before sending a camera in for a professional fix, black camera tape over every seam where light can leak is inconvenient but works well.
Can you recommend a particular type/brand of tape? This place has two grades, the "high-performance" is twice as expensive, but more light-proof:

Blackout Materials

Overkill?
10-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Can you recommend a particular type/brand of tape? This place has two grades, the "high-performance" is twice as expensive, but more light-proof:

Blackout Materials

Overkill?
Better overkill than underkill unless youʻre shooting in a cave with low ISO film. The aluminum black foil tape is best, but unless youʻre shooting high ISO in the desert one roll per day, the high-performance black tape in your link will work fine too. You can always double layer the tape too.

10-19-2016, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, yarn will work. Eric Hendrickson used it on my KX, but only for the light trap seals. He used a flocked material for hinge end and latch end seals and foam for the mirror bumper. I am not sure about the material he used except that it appears glossy and is actually more like a fine stranded cord than yarn.

While one might argue the permanence factor, there is little (nothing?) to be gained cost-wise by using yarn/cord over a custom kit from Jon Goodman. His materials are top-notch and easy to work with and the kits come with detailed instructions. The $10 USD that he charges is less than what one would pay for the roll of cord, cement, sheet foam, and flocked stuff* as raw materials. Although he used to do business as "Interslice" on eBay, he has shifted to word-of-mouth promotion and e-mail communication in recent years. To contact Jon:

JGood21967_at_aol_dot_com

Jon is truly one of the best photography-related people to deal with on the Internet and his kits are a much appreciated contribution to the vintage camera community.

Steve

(...has done one camera cut-your-own and about twenty using Jon's kits...the kits rule...)

* thickness is critical for cord and flocked material. If wrong, you will get a light leak or sprung door hinge. Likewise, the mirror foam must be the proper thickness and resistance to be effective.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.
10-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
His materials are top-notch and easy to work with and the kits come with detailed instructions.
Just a short note regarding what is needed in addition to the kit. Jon provides his special-cut bamboo scraping tool that works well for cleaning out old foam, but you will also require:
  • Steady hand
  • Clean cotton rags (superior to paper toweling...I use pieces of recycled undershirts) for cleaning off tools and fingers as you work
  • A small squirt can of naphtha (lighter fluid, Ronsonol)
  • Fine tweezers/forceps
  • Fine bladed scissors (cuticle type works well) or Exacto knife to trim the foam end, once set in place
  • Clean, padded workspace to allow work on the camera at odd angles without damage

Steve
10-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Read somewhere that one can use black yarn for light seal replacement. Any experiences?
I use it exclusively. 700 cameras so far this year, not a single light leak. The fibers aren't an issue as they get pressed into the channel. The yarn doesn't fall out of the channels because of friction, so no need to glue it in. Also, it won't turn to goo in 20 years.

10-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, yarn will work. Eric Hendrickson used it on my KX, but only for the light trap seals. He used a flocked material for hinge end and latch end seals and foam for the mirror bumper. I am not sure about the material he used except that it appears glossy and is actually more like a fine stranded cord than yarn.

While one might argue the permanence factor, there is little (nothing?) to be gained cost-wise by using yarn/cord over a custom kit from Jon Goodman. His materials are top-notch and easy to work with and the kits come with detailed instructions. The $10 USD that he charges is less than what one would pay for the roll of cord, cement, sheet foam, and flocked stuff* as raw materials. Although he used to do business as "Interslice" on eBay, he has shifted to word-of-mouth promotion and e-mail communication in recent years. To contact Jon:

JGood21967_at_aol_dot_com

Jon is truly one of the best photography-related people to deal with on the Internet and his kits are a much appreciated contribution to the vintage camera community.

Steve

(...has done one camera cut-your-own and about twenty using Jon's kits...the kits rule...)

* thickness is critical for cord and flocked material. If wrong, you will get a light leak or sprung door hinge. Likewise, the mirror foam must be the proper thickness and resistance to be effective.
I am actually considering sending my KM to him for this, thanks.

P.S. I tried fixing it myself using a K1000 light seal kit but possibly screwed up (haven't sent out the roll of test film yet), so I am considering sending it to a pro.