Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dropped Lens - Camera Won't Recognize And Asks To Clean Lens Contacts

If this thread needs to be moved for being about non-Pentax gear, I understand.

A friend of mine dropped a Canon EF 50 1.4 lens (don't think it was on the camera when it was dropped). Now, her Canon T3i won't recognize the lens. Every time she connects it to the camera, it'll shoot, but the message that follows is that the contacts on the lens need to be cleaned.

I inspected the lens and really couldn't see any serious damage. Nothing sounds loose and the only damage I found was a (kind of) bad scratch near the front of the lens. I haven't had a chance to clean the contacts with anything to see if that would fix the problem, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I should try in the case that cleaning the contacts doesn't fix the issue. Has anyone had any similar experience?

It seems like the lens does autofocus, but no picture is actually taken. Just the "clean the contacts" message appears. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

10-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmmm...
It worked before.

It was dropped.

It does not work now.
Circumstantial evidence indicates that something was broken in the fall.

Steve
10-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Likely a circuit board trace or a wire broke and the lens isn't communicating. Repair or trash and replace. This assumes only this lens no longer works on the camera body.
10-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Metal rear mounts are awesome, but unlike plastic when dropped, will bend and not break. If your friend is lucky, it isnʻt an internal issue, but just a flange that needs replacing so the lens to camera contacts are snug. At $350 new, I would be concerned that even a $200 repair may not perfectly correct any de-centering or other shock damage that may have weakened the integrity of other parts that will fail sooner than later.

The good news is that the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is one of the best value lenses around ($125), and if a new f/1.4 is not possible, the f/1.8 is a bargain replacement.

10-28-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

With Canon stuff, the culprit 90 percent of the time is the aperture.
Usually the electro/mechanical unit itself jams wide open, or the flexible connector to the circuit board is damaged. Sometimes the position sensor or switch that confirms the aperture properly reopened is damaged.

Either way, the circuit board doesn't get confirmation the aperture worked properly and the camera shows that as an error.

First test is to figure out if the camera still works fine with other lenses.
10-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
With Canon stuff, the culprit 90 percent of the time is the aperture.
Usually the electro/mechanical unit itself jams wide open, or the flexible connector to the circuit board is damaged. Sometimes the position sensor or switch that confirms the aperture properly reopened is damaged.

Either way, the circuit board doesn't get confirmation the aperture worked properly and the camera shows that as an error.

First test is to figure out if the camera still works fine with other lenses.
The camera works fine with other lenses. I will be checking out the lens again in a bit. Hopefully, it's something simple, but from the sound of it, it won't be.
11-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
The camera works fine with other lenses. I will be checking out the lens again in a bit. Hopefully, it's something simple, but from the sound of it, it won't be.
Sorry to hear about your friend's accident.

Hope is great to have, but sometimes you have to face reality.