Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Broken Hood Mount Ring Advice

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good Day Everyone

I have a Pentax Lens 14mm 2.8F

The lens was purchased used and I have little to no experience with cameras. Ive seen a hood on Ebay (link below) that screw in. (looks like they do anyways)

Mennon 77mm Wide Lens Hood Petal Shape for Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF)

I can rotate the ring and it feels like it can lock into its original position but won't stay there completely as if a glue or link was broken. Would the screwing in of the hood create sufficient pressure to lock the ring in. Should I just Glue it back in?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
11-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, I have often found cheaper 3rd party brands arenʻt as snug or precision made as OEM and are either too loose or too stiff when you try to rotate the petal to the correct position. Yes, you could glue the hood to remain locked in position, but if you find yourself detaching and re-attaching this hood often, it will never be perfectly positioned and drive you a bit nuts.
11-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Unfortunately, I have often found cheaper 3rd party brands arenʻt as snug or precision made as OEM and are either too loose or too stiff when you try to rotate the petal to the correct position. Yes, you could glue the hood to remain locked in position, but if you find yourself detaching and re-attaching this hood often, it will never be perfectly positioned and drive you a bit nuts.

The simple solution, at least for me, would be to get a screw on rubber or metal lens hood.

Something like this Pro Optic 77mm Metal Lens Hood PROLHM77 or this Pro Optic 77mm Wide Angle Rubber Lens Hood PROLHRW77 or this B + W 77mm #970 Aluminum Lens Hood for Wide Angle Lenses 65-069652
11-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
The simple solution, at least for me, would be to get a screw on rubber or metal lens hood.

Something like this Pro Optic 77mm Metal Lens Hood PROLHM77 or this Pro Optic 77mm Wide Angle Rubber Lens Hood PROLHRW77 or this B + W 77mm #970 Aluminum Lens Hood for Wide Angle Lenses 65-069652
For sure any of those screw-in round hoods will work, but they are less effective than a well-designed petal hood. 14mm (or 21mm for FF) is so wide that it is really easy to catch flare, but the round hood has to be very short to avoid vignetting. However, because I prefer the protection any hood offers and avoid filters when possible, I do use round hoods like the ones BigDave linked because it is hard to find the OEM petal version.

Iʻd recommend metal, as Iʻve had too many rubber ones break or separate off the ring.