Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What happens to your insurance premium if you need to replace a camera?
It depends on the state you live in & the reason for replacement.
They 'actuate' all of this & some state legislators pass laws to protect insurance companies.
In most states, your premiums will be raised to cover the costs they incurred~it's a great
racket!

01-18-2017, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
It depends on the state you live in & the reason for replacement.
They 'acuate' all of this & some state legislators pass laws to protect insurance companies.
In most states, your premiums will be raised to cover the costs they incurred~it's a great
racket!
That's pretty much what I figured.. so it really might not be that beneficial to ensure these under home owners. YMMV
01-18-2017, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's pretty much what I figured.. so it really might not be that beneficial to ensure these under home owners. YMMV
Truly.
It only helps if you need the replacement STAT & then the insurer is your credit~
01-19-2017, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must admit increased premiums is a risk I've rolled around in my head. Your state/insurer/track record all come into play. I've got a very good personal track record of not breaking/losing stuff, so as I contemplated routes for having coverage on everything, it seemed like the homeowner's would be the way to go. But, that said, I'd be hesitant to start making a bunch of individual claims. Figure it's really good though when I drop the bag with 3K of gear into the river as I jump on the boat, or whatever the scenario might be.

01-19-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I must admit increased premiums is a risk I've rolled around in my head. Your state/insurer/track record all come into play. I've got a very good personal track record of not breaking/losing stuff, so as I contemplated routes for having coverage on everything, it seemed like the homeowner's would be the way to go. But, that said, I'd be hesitant to start making a bunch of individual claims. Figure it's really good though when I drop the bag with 3K of gear into the river as I jump on the boat, or whatever the scenario might be.
I think it makes more sense to get a personal items rider for your camera gear. I've looked into it, and that way you can keep an eye on costs of claims versus value of insurance. Save homeowner's insurance for the things it was meant to tackle- disasters and break-ins, and that keeps that policy clean and cheap.
01-19-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I think it makes more sense to get a personal items rider for your camera gear. I've looked into it, and that way you can keep an eye on costs of claims versus value of insurance. Save homeowner's insurance for the things it was meant to tackle- disasters and break-ins, and that keeps that policy clean and cheap.
I should have been more clear. It is a personal items type rider. The standard home owners would cover total loss e.g. fire/theft, and probably dropping the bag into the river. However, if my D FA 150-450 were to just die out of warranty, given the cost of the lens, I'd make the call, but if my DA 50 1.8 dies, I'd eat it.
01-19-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I should have been more clear. It is a personal items type rider. The standard home owners would cover total loss e.g. fire/theft, and probably dropping the bag into the river. However, if my D FA 150-450 were to just die out of warranty, given the cost of the lens, I'd make the call, but if my DA 50 1.8 dies, I'd eat it.
Ah, then that makes sense.

01-27-2017, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, some credit cards offer coverage for damage - you might check with your's.