Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

Successful Repair to Aperture Block Failure

I'm putting in another plug for Mark at PentaxCameraRepair.com.

A few weeks ago, my K30 came down with the same problems that so many others have described - totally black photos, unless I used old lenses with aperture ring in manual mode. I found the link on this site, contacted Mark by email, heard back from him immediately. Shipped off my K30. Literally, within days, and with great email updates from Mark along the way, I had my camera back.

I've only had it back a few days, so I cannot speak to the longevity of the repair. But the camera is working as well as it ever did. For $100 and with a one year warranty on the work, I'm VERY happy.

Like the original poster in this thread, I have no affiliation with the repair site. I'm just a happy customer. Happy to be using my K30 again.

12-19-2016, 02:54 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
A few weeks ago my K30 developed the dreaded aperture failure. Just under 10,000 shutter clicks. I saw on here in a thread dealing with this problem, a mention of a gentleman/ company in California that was offering to repair the problem with a one year warranty and a reasonable price IMHO. He repairs the problem as opposed to replacing any parts. He says it is, or should be a permanent fix.

I emailed him with a few questions and after receiving the reply I decided to take a gamble and sent him my beloved K30. He was extremely good at keeping me informed of the receiving, repair and shipping back of my camera. He found an issue with my K30 while testing it. It shoots about 1/2 stop underexposed as compared to his. I explained that that body has always done that when compared to my other Pentax DSLR's. I actually like it that way.
At any rate I have my K30 back and it works as good as new .

If anyone is interested in having their camera Aperture block repaired I am adding his web site information . It has all his information along with price for repair.

Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

One other thing the Disclaimer. I am not affiliated with this place other than being a satisfied customer
Nice find
12-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Nice find
Yes it was.
12-21-2016, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #19

My k30 also have the same problem.
I tried the remedy of rapid firing the exposure continuously for a while. After that the problem was gone but returned back a couple of days after. Again did the same remedy and it worked for a day or two.
After 4 iterations my camera stopped completely and i could not make it work- only black exposed picture every time and the remedy failed to work.

Then I found the same CA based guy and sent my k30 for repair. The camera is still in the service shop, but after reading from the forum I am confident that the repair will work.

Edit on 2017 Dec 1
I am very happy to say that after almost a year, the repair is fine. Never had the problem again.

Last edited by Avishekm1983; 12-01-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: updating the review after one year of use
12-22-2016, 04:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am still happy with his work. It has only been a few weeks but my K30 is still working correctly.
01-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
update
As some of you know My K-30 fell off the tripod a few weeks ago. Only visible damage is an extremely small crack on the base plate. Metering is another issue all together. With the DA21 it meters correctly. DA35/2.4 over by 1-1.5 stops depending on aperture setting. Tamron 90 Over by 2.5 Wide open to 4 stopped down. TAV mode does not work tho in M the green button with Auto ISO with the K55/1.8 is pretty close to correct . I think it will be my manual camera There is a K-S2 on its way to replace it .
04-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Just tried the rapid firing fix and it worked! Curious to see how long it holds out for. If not, I'm glad to hear that people are happy with Mark at Pentax Camera Repair.

I called Pentax's repair service, Precision Camera, before finding this solution, which is on the other side of the country from me but, from the look of many of the reviews, their service is terrible. I'd really prefer not to send my camera to them if I can help it.

05-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #23
mfd

QuoteOriginally posted by JMG73 Quote
FIXED!!!!!
Having had this same problem and reading up on it, as my K-30 is already out of warranty, I tried something which WORKED:
The issue seems to be a magnetisation of a small metallic piece used to drive the lens aperture mechanism (it is pulled up by an electromagnet and ends up getting charged that way). Many people have written that the fix involves degaussing (demagnetising) this piece, and it seems to be linked to low use or longer periods of non-use.
Instead of taking my camera apart, I tried the following:

Put the camera onto rapid photo mode, high speed.
Go onto manual, set the shutter speed highish (100), and using various aperture settings, just keep the shutter button pressed.
I took a few hundred photos at varying setting within a few minutes.
I did also first have a lens with manual aperture setting on, but don't think this is relevant.

Lo and behold, after about 10 minutes of continous shooting, the aperture control was working again, and is still working reliably.

Try this first guys, give me feedback if it works for you too!

Just for reference, my camera had about 4000 shots on it, and I hadn't used it that often in the past 2 to 3 months
I ill now make a point of just shooting a few rapid sequences every now and then at varying f-stops to keep things running smoothly.
Sure beats dishing out €200,- in repairs or buying a new body. I like my K-30!
This worked for me, for a time. It's now taking all shots at minimum aperture again. I've been looking at taking it apart for a fix but this who have done it say they are reviving a dead, unusable, camera.
My problem is that even with the problem it takes great pictures in manual mode with older lenses.
I suppose I just need to build up more courage.

Last edited by mfd; 05-17-2018 at 12:27 AM.
05-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Avishekm1983 Quote
My k30 also have the same problem.
I tried the remedy of rapid firing the exposure continuously for a while. After that the problem was gone but returned back a couple of days after. Again did the same remedy and it worked for a day or two.
After 4 iterations my camera stopped completely and i could not make it work- only black exposed picture every time and the remedy failed to work.

Then I found the same CA based guy and sent my k30 for repair. The camera is still in the service shop, but after reading from the forum I am confident that the repair will work.

Edit on 2017 Dec 1
I am very happy to say that after almost a year, the repair is fine. Never had the problem again.

This is May 14, 2018. My K30 is back again with the same problem. The repair is failed after around 15 months or so
07-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #25

My K-30 had the same problem. Precision Camera charges $212 for the repair, which I think is ridiculous. So I decided to not to repair it. Instead I bought a K1 Mark II. Now I'm wondering what I should do with my K-30. Is it worth getting it repaired by Mark at Pentax Camera Repair for about $140 and then selling it?
07-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vaeianor Quote
My K-30 had the same problem. Precision Camera charges $212 for the repair, which I think is ridiculous. So I decided to not to repair it. Instead I bought a K1 Mark II. Now I'm wondering what I should do with my K-30. Is it worth getting it repaired by Mark at Pentax Camera Repair for about $140 and then selling it?
When I got the KP, I packed up my K-30 with several aperture-ring equipped lenses and have it as my backup.
07-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Avishekm1983 Quote

This is May 14, 2018. My K30 is back again with the same problem. The repair is failed after around 15 months or so
Thank you for letting us know.
This may serve as warning for others who think of following that path in the future.
07-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the "dark frame" problem more severe at larger apertures than smaller ones? My K-30 gives much better results on Av mode @ f/8 (than wide open) & progressively gets even better as the aperture is made even smaller.

My gut feeling was that the reverse would be true since the aperture was held open wide & assumes the set aperture value only when the shot is taken. So staying at wide should have given comparatively "lighter" frames theoretically & going to narrower apertures would take more time & give darker frames if it were only the solenoid.

Like everyone else's, mine works fine on M with stop down metering which is also perplexing since the solenoid would be responsible for closing down the aperture.
07-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Is the "dark frame" problem more severe at larger apertures than smaller ones? My K-30 gives much better results on Av mode @ f/8 (than wide open) & progressively gets even better as the aperture is made even smaller.
The basic problem is that the aperture is closed down to the lens's smallest opening regardless of what the body called for.

Assume the lens's smallest opening is f/22.
If the body calls for f/4, it will get f/22.
If the body calls for f/8, it will get f/22.
If the body calls for f/16, it will get f/22.
Thus you get better results "at larger apertures" because the value called for is more distant from what it actually gets

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Like everyone else's, mine works fine on M with stop down metering which is also perplexing since the solenoid would be responsible for closing down the aperture.
The solenoid controls limiting the amount of closedown, not causing the closedown, so it has nothing to do during 'green button' metering..
08-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vaeianor Quote
Sell it unrepaired. There are people including myself that will be happy to use it with Takumar or other manual lenses . I bought one off Ebay a while back for $55 that has this problem and would happily have paid double that.