Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Replacement wide angle diffuser panel for AF540 FGZ II?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone know where you can buy a replacement diffuser (wide angle panel) for the Pentax AF540FGZ-II for a reasonable price? I pulled it out one time and the little hinge points broke right off.

Last edited by klh; 11-29-2016 at 12:22 PM.
11-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine broke on my 360. I didn't replace it but to get the zoom to work i stuck a piece of wood in its spot.
11-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about using a pop on diffuser?

Universal Foldable Soft Box Flash Diffuser Dome For Canon Nikon Sony Pentax | eBay
11-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Mine broke on my 360. I didn't replace it but to get the zoom to work i stuck a piece of wood in its spot.
Thanks swanlefitte. I may have to try that.

---------- Post added 11-28-16 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks UncleFanya, that would work for some shots, but the flash will always assume it is wide angle with the plastic diffuser panel broken so I can not set the focal length, even in manual mode. I typically use bounce flash, and a wide angle bounce is not always ideal.

Last edited by klh; 11-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.
11-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote

Thanks UncleFanya, that would work for some shots, but the flash will always assume it is wide angle with the plastic diffuser panel broken so I can not set the focal length, even in manual mode. I typically use bounce flash, and a wide angle bounce is not always idea.
I didn't realize that - hopefully the trick with a wood block works for you.
12-05-2016, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Can you drill a small hole and use epoxy glue to attach a piece of wire?

See this thread.

I'm sorry I lost all the intermediate photos. The one at a end of the thread shows the panel after being repaired.
12-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Can you drill a small hole and use epoxy glue to attach a piece of wire?

See this thread.

I'm sorry I lost all the intermediate photos. The one at a end of the thread shows the panel after being repaired.
Thanks. I saw your thread, and I may have to try something like that. The hinge tips on both sides broke off (but I do have them), so I am tempted to try gluing it back together first. The tips are much smaller on the model II. I am amazed at how flashes (not just Pentax) have such a cheap part that is so difficult to replace. It's really a poor design.

Last edited by klh; 12-06-2016 at 12:29 PM.
12-22-2016, 05:50 AM   #8
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's an update in case anyone else runs into the problem. Using the broken panel, I was able to push the sliding bracket down into the flash until it seated with a click. Of course, the panel won't stay in, but now the flash thinks it is so the zoom features work as they are supposed to. Since I don't really need the panel, it's not necessary to replace it. For the rare times I need a wide angle I can always use one of my Sigma or Yongnuo flashes.
12-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting as i recall on the 360 1, it was a button inside in the middle. My piece of wood holds it down while still letting the bounce card slide out.