Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Do I have aperture block failure (and where do I fix it)?

Hey, folks. So I have K50, about 2 years old, about 4000 pictures taken. Recently, my LCD started showing (now and then) all black pictures. I see the flashing yellow underexposed silhouette of my subject, but thats it. Today, I went out, and thats all I was getting. I tried it in Manual, Auto and AV modes, with flash and without --- the aperture just doesnt stay open long enough. So what do you say? Is that what a lot of folks are having an issue with? Where did you fix it and what did you pay? How long did it take? I found some place in California that fixes it (supposedly) for $100 -- are they trust worthy?

Thank you all.

12-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It certainly sounds like the failure.

I'm assuming that where you are, your camera is now thoroughly out of warranty. If it is perchance still IN warranty, you should get on to the Ricoh service people in your country immediately (I'm assuming that's the US as you mention a repair place in California).

Without knowing the name of the repair place, we cannot guide you as to its trustworthiness.

You have three choices:
1) Attempt to have it repaired.
2) Buy an M42-K adapter and some old M42 manual focus lenses (which don't need the aperture control module), and go old-school.
3) Offer it for sale, with the problem fully disclosed, as a body suitable for anyone who wants to dedicate it to M42 use.
12-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

If your camera is still under warranty send it in for repair. For the most part factory serviced cameras seem to stay fixed but there are at least one report of second failure.

If not under warranty you can try a DIY repair - there are several threads on possible solutions. Or you can try the alternatives listed above.

People who have sent their cameras to the guy offering a repair solution have so far given positive reports.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/334112-k30-a...-repaired.html
12-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It certainly sounds like the failure.

I'm assuming that where you are, your camera is now thoroughly out of warranty. If it is perchance still IN warranty, you should get on to the Ricoh service people in your country immediately (I'm assuming that's the US as you mention a repair place in California).

Without knowing the name of the repair place, we cannot guide you as to its trustworthiness.

You have three choices:
1) Attempt to have it repaired.
2) Buy an M42-K adapter and some old M42 manual focus lenses (which don't need the aperture control module), and go old-school.
3) Offer it for sale, with the problem fully disclosed, as a body suitable for anyone who wants to dedicate it to M42 use.
THank you for your response.
Yes, I am in the States -- NY, in fact. This is the place I am referring to in California. He specifically talks about this block failure:
Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

The reason it caught my eye is that someone else had mentioned that they had it fixed for a flat fee of $100

thanks

03-12-2017, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
So just to provide an update -- the guys in California I was referring to did fix it. Total cost $135, had taken about 2 weeks including the shipping time both ways. Very happy.
03-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redridinghood Quote
So just to provide an update -- the guys in California I was referring to did fix it. Total cost $135, had taken about 2 weeks including the shipping time both ways. Very happy.

Ditto. Quick turn around and perfect results!