Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It could have been (much) worse. An expensive lesson about heavy lenses on tripods. Let's hope it all goes smoothly.

01-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good to hear about Precision improving. My K30 took a nose dive off the tripod ( cabinet height onto a vinyl floor) just prior to the first of the year. It landed square on the front of the K55/1.8 that was mounted. No scratches or visible damage to either lens or camera. The only thing 0I can find is that the K30 now overexposes by about 3 stops. The lens is going to dcshooter for CLA and silvering. I need to send the body into Precision to get the meter recalibrated .
01-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #18

Original Poster
Status update:
They told me on the phone last week the repairs would take 7-15 business days, unless they had to order parts, which would then add another 7-15 business days. Yesterday, the status for both the camera and lens was "In Repair", but it was changed for the camera today. Looks like now they have to order parts for the camera and not the lens.
I have to say, customer service has been great so far. Both phone conversations have been pleasant with customer service, and they're definitely keeping the repair status lookup updated. No complaints so far!
Attached Images

01-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is good to be able to track the process on line. The frustration of hearing nothing makes time move slowly.

01-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #20

Communication is definitely one of the areas Precision has improved on.
01-11-2017, 05:08 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Communication is definitely one of the areas Precision has improved on.
Communication is definitely one of the areas Precision has improved on
That is good to know. I am sending myk30 in .
01-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #22

Original Poster
Update... woof. Got this in my inbox today
QuoteQuote:
Good Afternoon,

Our records indicate you approved the amount of $333.50 with your credit card on file. Due to an excessive amount of parts that need to be replaced, the repair cost has changed. In order to send your lens in to repair, we will need your authorization for the new estimate of $432.85. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.
This is in regards to the lens only. So I paid. It took them 2 weeks to figure out they couldn't fix it, and that they have to send it to the factory. The customer service woman said the extra $$ was mostly to cover shipping a high value item. She said to expect a delay of 3-5 weeks.

Double woof.

While I had her on the phone, I asked her about my K-1. The parts they needed are:
1.Top cover rubber (why, IDK)
2. Mode dial assembly (It appeared to work fine and be undamaged, but at this point, whatever)
3. Mount ring rubber
4. Mounting ring

She said the parts have been ordered, but there is no ETA available.

No ETA...triple woof. And it's been almost a month since I sent it in the mail.

01-23-2017, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The parts that you mentioned in #3 and #4 above are exceedingly basic and simple to replace. I know, last summer I removed and replaced them myself on my Pentax K1 camera

I am shocked that they don't have these K1 parts on hand! Being an authorized Pentax repair facility, I'd expect that they'd have a few cameras in inventory specifically for the purpose of canabalizing parts from. The fact that these common camera parts need to be ordered from Japan is unbelievable!

The K3 mount is identical to the K1 mount. Here's a broken K3 camera on ebay for $230 USD - http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-IS-Pentax-Ricoh-K-3-24MP-DSLR-Camera-Body-Only-Bl...EAAOSwImRYgnJE . I doubt it will sell for the $239 asking price - I bet he'd take $100 for it.

If this were my broken and not warrantteeed K1 camera, I'd buy a cheap broken K3 on ebay, use it's mount and fix the broken K1 myself.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-23-2017 at 07:13 PM.
01-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The parts that you mentioned in #3 and #4 above are exceedingly basic and simple to replace. I know, I've removed and replaced them on my Pentax K1 camera

I am shocked that they don't have these K1 parts on hand! Being an authorized Pentax repair facility, I'd expect that they'd have a few cameras in inventory specifically for the purpose of canabalizing parts from. The fact that these common camera parts need to be ordered from Japan is unbelievable!
  1. IDK that they said which parts had to be ordered
  2. Mode Dial Assy is probably the offending part from last spring that randomly failed. Hard to know whether Precision identified his as suspect or if they replace them all as a policy
  3. 'Top Rubber' and 'Mount Ring Rubber' are probably weather seals
In any case the part to be ordered is probably the mount ring itself. I can't imagine there is a frequent call for K-1 mount rings; and they aren't all alike.
01-23-2017, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #25
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The parts that you mentioned in #3 and #4 above are exceedingly basic and simple to replace. I know, I've removed and replaced them on my Pentax K1 camera

I wonder if it has to do with this? Kanban - Wikipedia
01-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IDK that they said which parts had to be ordered
There's no telling what they had to order. If Precision uses a Just-in-Time inventory scheme like everybody else since the mid 80s then it is possible to run out of parts if an unexpected number of repair orders came in that needed a certain part.

It is SOP to replace and not reuse weather seals.
01-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no telling what they had to order. If Precision uses a Just-in-Time inventory scheme like everybody else since the mid 80s then it is possible to run out of parts if an unexpected number of repair orders came in that needed a certain part.

It is SOP to replace and not reuse weather seals.
Perhaps.

More likely, when the box of a part is empty, Precision waits until there is a call for another one before they order the next box. That's known as the NIS* inventory system.

* Not In Stock.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-23-2017 at 07:31 PM.
01-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. IDK that they said which parts had to be ordered
  2. Mode Dial Assy is probably the offending part from last spring that randomly failed. Hard to know whether Precision identified his as suspect or if they replace them all as a policy
  3. 'Top Rubber' and 'Mount Ring Rubber' are probably weather seals
In any case the part to be ordered is probably the mount ring itself. I can't imagine there is a frequent call for K-1 mount rings; and they aren't all alike.
I own both a K3 and a K1. I closely inspected the mounting rings on each camera before posting my comment. I am very familiar with these mounts as I have actually removed them in the past in my lens/camera shop. They are identical. I am very curious as to why you claim they are not?
01-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wonder if it has to do with this? Kanban - Wikipedia
Interesting how that Japanese production principles have become so commonplace in today's manufacturing and business environments.

The Toyota Production System, and Kaizen, Kanban, the Fishbone Diagram, the 5 Whys, etc. are a huge part of the manufacturing business I am employed by.

When I worked at PACCAR the big thing was Six Sigma.

Although it has been fascinating for me to learn about them, I have never been sure if these things are actually beneficial for a business, or if they just give management types a reason for existence, which is to have meetings. Sure, I see the principles in action, but things don't always work as they should. Any system can only be as good as those who implement it and work toward ensuring the continued smooth operation of them.
01-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears to me my K-01 mount rings are narrower (not the diameter measure). I don't have a K-3 any more to compare and my K-S1 and K10D are boxed.