Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Could be that their rarely a Pentax repaired!! This is why a very low inventory of parts

01-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Interesting how that Japanese production principles have become so commonplace in today's manufacturing and business environments.

The Toyota Production System, and Kaizen, Kanban, the Fishbone Diagram, the 5 Whys, etc. are a huge part of the manufacturing business I am employed by.

When I worked at PACCAR the big thing was Six Sigma.

Although it has been fascinating for me to learn about them, I have never been sure if these things are actually beneficial for a business, or if they just give management types a reason for existence, which is to have meetings. Sure, I see the principles in action, but things don't always work as they should. Any system can only be as good as those who implement it and work toward ensuring the continued smooth operation of them.
That is still big in some places.. including the gov and many larger US companies apparently.

I suspect they don't help nearly as much as they are touted to... at least in what I've seen. Because I've even seen people set up meetings to plan for the meeting. A meeting for the meeting. So number of meetings increased notably.

And jargon starts flying.. swim lanes and synergies and paradigm shifts etc
01-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I suspect they don't help nearly as much as they are touted to...
Kind of like how computers were supposed to get rid of paper.
01-24-2017, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #34
mee
Veteran Member

Kind of like how computers were supposed to get rid of paper.
I was thinking about that recently when I noticed all the paper recycle bins at work.

01-27-2017, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #35

Original Poster
Latest update...they do have an ETA for the parts ordered. But don't hold them to it...
Attached Images

02-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #36

Original Poster
Surprise update... they shipped my K-1 today. According to UPS it will be in my hot little hands on Monday.

So by my count, 18 business days. Originally they told me 7-15 business days, unless they had to order a part (and they did), which would add another 7-15 business days. 18 business days is a great turn around time, IMO.

Strange though... following the timeline of this thread, last week they had no ETA. Six days ago, they gave me an ETA of the parts arriving to Precision Feb 15th. Today, the camera is fixed and shipped. Weird, but I'll take it and I'm thankful
02-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by SevenOneFlix Quote
Strange though... following the timeline of this thread, last week they had no ETA. Six days ago, they gave me an ETA of the parts arriving to Precision Feb 15th. Today, the camera is fixed and shipped. Weird, but I'll take it and I'm thankful
The part may have been ordered in time to make it into an earlier order shipment. Ricoh probably waits until the shipment is big enough before sending it to cut costs rather than send stuff out piecemeal. Unless it is a high priority order.

02-07-2017, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #38

Original Poster
Update:
Last night I got my K1 back!
It appears to be fixed and working correctly, but I only did a quick test and will put it through it's paces over the next few days.

It came back very clean, with the new 1.4 firmware installed. Packaged well, but was shipped UPS ground with no signature required. Thankfully my wife was home

I snapped a few pics with my FA 43mm Limited. The lens felt like it attached as it was supposed to. The pics turned out OK, handheld wide open in a dimly lit room. Again, I will put it through the paces in the next few days.

So far, so good!

Now I just have to wait a while longer for the 15-30mm lens to get back from the factory.
02-07-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love happy endings.
02-23-2017, 11:35 PM - 3 Likes   #40

Original Poster
Final update
Happy to report last Friday I received the 15-30mm. On the invoice it said "Due to the replacement of certain parts on your unit, it now has a new serial number", and under "description of repairs" it says: "New serial number is ########### Factory replacment."

Everything works and looks like a dream to my eyes. Very happy with the service and repairs Precision performed, and I will give them positive reviews wherever I can.

Attached are some samples of this weekends shoots with the K1 and the 15-30mm. The Wonder Bread rooftop is one frame of a timelapse you can check out here Instagram
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #41

Everything works and looks like a dream to my eyes. Very happy with the service and repairs Precision performed, and I will give them positive reviews wherever I can.
You ought to chime in with the FUD merchant threads - one afraid to buy a K-70 because it may develop aperture problems like the K-30/50 or the one afraid to buy a K-1 because of the mode dial problem who has "heard nothing but negatives about Precision".

Nothing but negatives?
Post K-1 bugs/issues (feedback for Ricoh) - Page 27 - PentaxForums.com
02-24-2017, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #42
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Final update
Happy to report last Friday I received the 15-30mm. On the invoice it said "Due to the replacement of certain parts on your unit, it now has a new serial number", and under "description of repairs" it says: "New serial number is ########### Factory replacment."

Attached are some samples of this weekends shoots with the K1 and the 15-30mm. The Wonder Bread rooftop is one frame of a timelapse you can check out here Instagram
Congratulations!

So by 'new serial' they mean the lens was simply swapped out for another, right?
02-24-2017, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations!

So by 'new serial' they mean the lens was simply swapped out for another, right?
Heh. Same thought I had.
02-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am glad all is good to go neighbor. (I live outside of Rochester) .

Nice shots. Seeing the paperwork on the safe takes me back a long time when phone numbers were remembered that way. I can still remember our phone number after 60 years, BE verly 53924. Followed later by TU xedo 92419 when we moved to a larger house.

As that number has only 4 following digits it has to be a real old timer.
02-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Be sure to check lens centering (and mount centering on the body with a lens you know is okay) . I would be very cautious after any repair attempt which required tinkering with mount pieces. Changes are high that something is a bit off here.