Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Sent my damaged K-1 and 15-30mm to Precision today 12-26-16

So here begins my tale of woe...hope there is a happy ending by the end of this thread!

My K-1 with the 15-30mm got knocked over backwards on a tripod. The fall was only about 18"-24". It landed on it's screen side, and I immediately thought the LCD was toast. The LCD was fine, not even a scratch. However, the weight of the 15-30 caused the lens mounts to be bent on BOTH the 15-30 and the K1.

The good news is the autofocus still works, and I was able to remove and reattach the damaged 15-30mm easily. The bad news is the mount on the 15-30mm pulled apart badly, and the mount on the K-1 is bent and a screw is missing\broken. I tried to attach my Limited 43mm 1.9 to the K1, no dice. But the bent 15-30mm goes right back on and works fine, aside from half of the image being out of focus. See attached images... it's not pretty.

I live in Buffalo, New York, and given the horrible reviews of Precision, I called around to get it repaired somewhere, ANYWHERE else...but no luck. No one local will touch it. I called KEH, they said they'd look at it, but being such a new camera, they would probably just send it to Precision. I even had the idea that, living 2 hours away from Toronto, CA, I would drive it up to Sun Camera, Canada's official Pentax repair center, because their reviews are much better. Ironically, the man I talked to at Sun Camera told me that they "don't have the tools to repair the K-1, and Pentax advised them to send K-1 repairs to Precision". D'oh!!

So, Precision Camera is the only option. I hope the online reviews and testimonies of the members of this forum are wrong. I do take comfort in the fact that the rep from KEH told me "Precision has gotten much better in the last few years, so I wouldn't worry", and the rep from Sun Camera had nothing but positive things to say about his personal dealings with Precision. And for me personally so far, the small experience with Precision has been good. They got right back to me when I asked for a quote online, and the customer service woman was very nice and knowledgeable when I called.

I will keep this thread updated as soon as I get new information. As I said in the beginning, I hope my Precision Camera story has a happy ending.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX (Typ 109)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX (Typ 109)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX (Typ 109)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX (Typ 109)  Photo 
12-26-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hope it's a quick and reasonably priced fix. I sometimes wonder about places that you hear horror stories about their service. I wonder how many people had great service and never say a word and you just hear all the bad reviews.

I had to send my Sigma 10-20 in for service and I read some bad things about them but I had a great experience. I sent my lens in and two days later I had it back on my camera working great all under warranty. I hope you have a similar outcome with Precision.
12-26-2016, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It certainly looks fixable. It seems only the mounts themselves were damaged, and they should be replaceable. Good luck!

It could have been worse. You could have dropped the 15-30 on your foot. Then you would never walk again.
12-26-2016, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck! It seems not having parts onhand is what makes them so slow a lot of the time. I hope they have your parts in stock!

12-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Hope it's a quick and reasonably priced fix.
if the mount only needs a fix.
12-27-2016, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #6

Most of the recent reports on Precision have been positive. Certainly not the plethora of horror stories we were seeing a year or so ago.

Precision like C.R.I.S. before them will at times send a lens to Japan for repair. Probably they lack the equipment or parts to repair and adjust some lenses or problems.
12-27-2016, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a positive experience with them. Similar situation but my flash and hot shoe mount popped off instead of the lens and camera mount.
On additional thoughts this could have been a DIY.
- A cheap or failing K-x/K-7/K-01 to get the ring part for the body.
- A cheap FA (whatever) to get the mount for your lens (not sure if the contacts holes are exact same though).
- A few precision and patient hours of your life.
Agree you may likely loose the weather resistance but could have saved you some.

On the other hand with Precision you are are in safer hands since only the mounts are in a disarray.

12-27-2016, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
On the other hand with Precision you are are in safer hands since only the mounts are in a disarray.
You don't really know that. There may be things particularly in the lens that may have been knocked out of kilter or alignment or broken.
12-27-2016, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a do it yourselfer engineering type and do lots of work/repairs/adaptions to my cameras and lenses. I have just about all of the tools that I need for most camera/lens repairs.

The camera damage described/shown by the OP looks to be a relatively easy fix. I've already taken the mount off of my K1 camera during one of my prior Frankenlens experiments.

I've previously contacted Precision and Pentax/Ricoh USA and under no circumstances will they ever sell parts to you for a self repair. I strongly disagree with this policy. Most of the work that I do in my little shop is on old equipment that's way out of warrantee, therefore their standard "it will void the warranttee" answer to my requests for parts does not hold water. And on my newer equipment that's still under warrantee I don't understand why they still won't sell me parts even if I agree (in writing) to give up the remainder of my warranttee on that piece of equipment.

Don't you just love dealing with dogmatic/in-flexible organizations who require their employees to blindly follow corporate policy!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-27-2016 at 12:46 PM.
12-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm a do it yourselfer engineering type and do lots of work/repairs/adaptions to my cameras and lenses. I have just about all of the tools that I need for most camera/lens repairs.

The camera damage described/shown by the OP looks to be a relatively easy fix. I've already taken the mount off of my K1 camera during one of my prior Frankenlens experiments.

I've previously contacted Precision and Pentax/Ricoh USA and under no circumstances will they ever sell parts to you for a self repair. I strongly disagree with this policy. Most of the work that I do in my little shop is on old equipment that's way out of warrantee, therefore their standard "it will void the warranttee" answer to my requests for parts does not hold water. And on my newer equipment that's still under warrantee I don't understand why they still won't sell me parts even if I agree (in writing) to give up the remainder of my warranttee on that piece of equipment.

Don't you just love dealing with dogmatic/in-flexible organizations who require their employees to blindly follow corporate policy!
you have a lot more guts than I do when dealing with this kind of thing. For me if it were under warrantee why wouldn't someone use it and to give up warrantee on the rest of the camera just so you can do it yourself seems like a lot to give up.
As to why they won't sell parts for out of warrantee work I would suspect that Precision and others like it do not want the competition and Pentax gives in to them, even if you only fix your own stuff, they want You to pay Them.
12-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
you have a lot more guts than I do when dealing with this kind of thing. For me if it were under warrantee why wouldn't someone use it and to give up warrantee on the rest of the camera just so you can do it yourself seems like a lot to give up.
As to why they won't sell parts for out of warrantee work I would suspect that Precision and others like it do not want the competition and Pentax gives in to them, even if you only fix your own stuff, they want You to pay Them.
Why would one ever be willing to give up a warranttee? How about when the damage was caused by the camera owner (me) when doing a misguided do it yourself project.

Or what about the case described in this post by the OP. In this case, the damage was due to dropping the camera/lens which was due to the negligence of the equipment owner and not any defect in manufacture or design. I doubt such damage caused by dropping equipment would be covered by a standard warranttee.
12-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SevenOneFlix Quote
I even had the idea that, living 2 hours away from Toronto, CA, I would drive it up to Sun Camera, Canada's official Pentax repair center, because their reviews are much better. Ironically, the man I talked to at Sun Camera told me that they "don't have the tools to repair the K-1, and Pentax advised them to send K-1 repairs to Precision". D'oh!!
Oh, great. That will add at least a month onto any repairs on the K-1 in Canada, since Sun will have send it to Precision or to Japan. That means at least 4 months turnaround time.
12-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #13

Original Poster
So I shipped it out Monday and my package, according to Fedex, was signed for and received today at 12:27pm. It cost $50.95 to ship ground with a declared value of $4,000.

Now I wait, although I'm not reasonably expecting a call or email from them until after the New Year. If I don't hear anything, I'll call them middle of next week.

So, have a happy New Year, Pentaxians!
12-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Oh, great. That will add at least a month onto any repairs on the K-1 in Canada, since Sun will have send it to Precision or to Japan. That means at least 4 months turnaround time.
That surprised me too. I was ready willing and able to make the drive up to Toronto to deliver and pick up in person.
01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
So I found out the bad news via email quote... $333.50 USD for the lens and $333.50 USD for the camera. In my estimation, this is a somewhat fair price...not cheap by any means, but not extravagantly overpriced either.
Going to talk with them on the phone tomorrow, to pay them and to see how long it will take.