Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Ok to swab focusing screen with sensor cleaner tool/solution

My focusing screen on my K5II has an insane amount of dust particles, fibers, and specs. Attempts to clean it with a rocket blower and brush made it 10x worse. Will I damage the screen if I use one of those sensor-cleaning kits with the special solution and pads?

12-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Extremely easy to damage. I wouldn't.
12-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Will I damage the screen if I use one of those sensor-cleaning kits with the special solution and pads?
That is very likely!
12-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

pull the screen out by dropping the holder (it's on a latch) and blowing off the screen itself and the area behind it.

simply drop the holder and grab the screen by the small tab. once you've blown that all out, you can put the screen back in the holder and then re-clasp it.

12-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

My focusing screen on my K5II has an insane amount of dust particles, fibers, and specs. Attempts to clean it with a rocket blower and brush made it 10x worse. Will I damage the screen if I use one of those sensor-cleaning kits with the special solution and pads?
VisibleDust Focusing Screen Swab
12-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do it like Wibbly describes it Have done this myself several times.

DO not touch the focusing screen with your fingers
12-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

basically all that dust is trapped behind the screen, so swabbing it won't help. you need to at the very least release the hasp and let it drop down, then use your blower behind it.

12-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ruined one once. I'd stay away from that area unless the viewfinder is actually obscured by particles.
01-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. WOund up just taking it in to be professionally cleaned, as I also had some sensor spots. They managed to clean most of the dust behind the focusing screen, but a few particles ....not worth doing anything more about. Before I took it in, it was an absolute mess. I think my rocket blower made it worse.