Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Super-Macro-Takumar helicoid help

I need help putting the helicoid on my takumar back together. It looks very simple but it does not screw back into place in any easy way, the bronze ring goes counter clockwise. The previous owner left scratches to align infinity focus, but they are no help in putting the helicoid back together.

---------- Post added 12-28-16 at 08:03 PM ----------

One more thing, how will well will heavy weight tractor grease work in the helicoid? I had to remove all the original grease because at some point someone must have been using it as a sand castle mold.

12-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

Original Poster
Thanks for the good advice. I did not think that the mount needed to come off, but it did so I could uninstall and reinstall the bar the controls that aperture. The grease that I have handy is black lithium grease, that feels about the same consistency of the helical grease that was on the lens and other lenses. How much grease should be applied to the threads? and do I need fine grease for the fine threads?

Last edited by Pedroax; 12-28-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Image link not working
12-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #3

I threw out a tube of white lithium grease I had bought to repack the bearings on my bicycle. I also used it to re-grease the crank on my Bogen tripod head. It turned to clay rather quickly in the tripod head and separated in the tube that the oil actually migrated through the cap and made the whole tube oil. Not to mention the nice stain it left on the wood shelf where the tube was laying.

I like this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-Helimax-XP-Telescope-Instrument-Focusing/...F966YC6R6433PW

The specs give it a high service temp of 300F. I tested a dab in the oven and it didn't separate or start to migrate after an hour at that temp.
12-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

This thing is all fixed up now, and other than it smelling like the tractor it feels less wobbly and smoother than it did the day I bought it.

Last edited by Pedroax; 12-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.