Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
The DAL 55-300 had a broken mount and the filter ring is cracked. I ordered a replacement mount from Pentax. Has not given me one problem with zoom or focus. Even after fixing it, the total cost was about $57.
How did you order from Pentax?

12-30-2016, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How did you order from Pentax?
You used to be able to order parts directly from the Pentax parts department. I am pretty sure that went away after Ricoh took over. It was when they were still using KRIS for repairs. Maybe I ordered the mount directly from KRIS. It has been a few years and I can't find the email communication.
12-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got the lens back tonight. It looks like new, and they did a very clean job. Can't tell it was ever apart. No tool marks or any tell tales.

It works and focuses quick on my camera now, and the pics seem sharp on the lcd, but I need to download to my pc and look on my 27" to know for sure. Obviously they did fix something, because it works great now, no more stiff focus on the near scale and the AF is fast again.

The bag of parts is full of the whole lens front end minus glass, from the front ring hood mount, quick shift af/mf ring back to the distance scale. Most of the parts are heavy gauge aluminum and a thin steel band on one plastic part and I figured if anything cracked it had to be the steel banded plastic one. But...

Damned if I can find it! All looks fine. Ran my fingernail around everything, no catch. The plastic part has an inner sawtooth gear on the rear inner ring and I looked close to see if any teeth cracked or missing. Nope...

The front ring that the hood twists on to, would be the farthest forward exposed part, and it looks new, not even a scratch, never mind impact signs. I am at a loss.

The paperwork returned with it said "Cracked cam barrel". They all look like curvy slotted cam barrels to my untrained eye. Not sure which part they mean?

If I have time tomorrow, I'm going to put the parts in my photo tent and take some pics. Maybe some macro shots in that brightly lit tent will show me something I'm missing under the kitchen light.

As impresed as I am with the tidy work they did, and how well the lens seems to work now, I'd still really like to know what broke so as to avoid doing it again, if possible.
12-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, here we go... Macro's in the light tent were not enlightening.

(FWIW, I used my ancient Vivitar 100mm F2.8 MF Macro, because I was feeling nostalgic.)

First pic is assembled unit (sorta, by my reckoning)

Following pics disassembled, missed one part, added later, the smallest inner tube with the wide mask.

I've spent entirely too much time looking over each part, and I still can't find a "cracked cam barrel"... Maybe I'm blind or crazy, but I just don't see it.

Thinking I might make a call Monday

Attached Images

Last edited by Erictator; 12-31-2016 at 09:31 PM.
01-01-2017, 05:54 AM   #20

If the parts are metal, it doesn't need to be a crack, a slight distortion will probably be enough to jam the system.
01-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuno Almeida Quote
If the parts are metal, it doesn't need to be a crack, a slight distortion will probably be enough to jam the system.
These are mostly rigid heavy wall aluminum, you'd have to have a severe weight to bend. There was not even the slightest mar on the exterior.

Besides, the repair ticket specifically said cracked cam barrel.

My honest suspicion is that one of the tiny nylon glide balls popped out of its whole or a screw came loose and caused the bind at short focal range. I just can't understand why they would lie about it, unless the techs are on watch by management to not account for too many warranted repairs. That might put pressure on to make bad calls, to save a job? Dunno... but it sure doesn't make clients into happy repeat clients.
01-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #22

My own lens binds more at the extremes, my experience has industrial maintenance technician tells me in such a sensitive device any kind of distortion will lead to bind, it's one of the areas plastics (well chosen ones) have a advantage, although I'm far from being a lens expert and have never taken one apart.

01-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

I have taken several lenses and a flash apart.. the modern ones are rather complex -- many points of failure. That said, the only ones I've seen flaws in have been the ones made of plastic internally. And one had an issue with the screws on the mount ring being too tight, thus impeding the aperture from stopping down properly (too stiff). That is not much different from tightening the lug nuts on a wheel too tight in one spot -- you'll often see uneven rotor wear. Yet it is hard to see just looking at it before damage is done.

In any case, I'd be emailing, at least, with the photos and asking what was really broken. My GUESS is they don't have a clue what is wrong in the limited amount of time they have to look at each lens, so they just replace the entire front section of the lens versus troubleshooting to discover the actual cause.
01-02-2017, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
In any case, I'd be emailing, at least, with the photos and asking what was really broken. My GUESS is they don't have a clue what is wrong in the limited amount of time they have to look at each lens, so they just replace the entire front section of the lens versus troubleshooting to discover the actual cause.
This.
The service centre will have a troubleshooting guide. They will look down until they see the symptom described, then across to see the solution. 'Sticking focus mechanism at one end....replace front end of barrel', then they will put the fault code into their computer and it will spit out generic text to send to the user. Finding the exact cause of the sticking mechanism would take more time than is worth spending, when the solution would be the same regardless of the cause.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
From my experience, Pentax lenses are pretty resilient to impact damage. ... Sounds like normal fatigue of inferior parts to me.
Lets be fair on this lens though...you could replace it with new half a dozen times before you come close to spending the cost of the Pentax equivalent lens, and Pentax lenses are hardly immune to needing service themselves...

Last edited by victormeldrew; 01-02-2017 at 02:50 AM.
01-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So what's the next step? You seem to have a smoking gun and pictures to prove it. Time to bring The manufacturer into it.
01-03-2017, 04:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

If replacing the barrel worked, then that seems to have been the issue. Although it may not be visibly cracked, it may well be bent...without a jig it would be near impossible to tell.
The question is whether it took a hit or broke by itself. Even if it is cracked, there is nothing to say that wasn't due to a flaw in the materials rather than misuse. I had a rather expensive knife that cracked after attacking a stubborn swede and the manufacturer examined it and concluded that a microscopic flaw in the steel had been at fault rather than the vigorous impacts it took against the chopping board.

However, it comes down to whether you can persuade them that you didn't mistreat the lens, or whether they can make a good case that you did. Quite possibly their first move is to suggest that you did, then maybe 50% of people don't bother arguing, and they save cost. Then if you kick up enough fuss, they may reverse the decision and refund the fee...
01-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If replacing the barrel worked, then that seems to have been the issue.
In my opinion, that is not quite a logical statement, because, if a screw came loose or one of the nylon glide balls prematurely wore down in size and popped out of it's socket, then replacing the front barrel assembly would still have fixed the problem. See where I am going with this?

Any imaginable warranty covered issue would have also been fixed by replacing the front barrel assemble for that matter. So that really doesn't hold water for me.

Besides, any impact hard enough to effect the roundness of those barrels would have been so hard, that external damage would have had to show. This lens looked like new still. The exposed parts of the parts they sent back look like new still. Not a mar on them.

So... I've got an email into them NCE first, with pic's, as they were the go between and I'll give them first shot to negotiate with Tamron. We'll see what comes, or if I have to go to Tamron direct.
Eric
01-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
In my opinion, that is not quite a logical statement, because, if a screw came loose or one of the nylon glide balls prematurely wore down in size and popped out of it's socket, then replacing the front barrel assembly would still have fixed the problem. See where I am going with this?
Absolutely, hence why I said it could have been either a fault or damage...like I say, they are probably trying it on to see if you'll go away (as you would if you knew/thought it had been dropped) and will consider a warranty claim if you go back to them and complain. It's definitely worth stating the case. It's a shame that they're quibbling...but it's probably just the service centre doing that. I'd imagine they would get more money out of charging you than charging Tamron.
01-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Lets be fair on this lens though...you could replace it with new half a dozen times before you come close to spending the cost of the Pentax equivalent lens, and Pentax lenses are hardly immune to needing service themselves...
That's exactly right. When I was researching a possible purchase of the Tamron 70-200, I found it hard to believe that a lens nearly as good as the considerably more expensive OEM 70-200s could also have a six year warranty. So I did some research and found a common pattern which is this: over time, the Tamron 70-200 can develop mechanical issues through normal usage. If such a lens is sent in for warranty repairs, Tamron claims "impact damage" and refuses to provide a warranty repair. We can be indignant that Tamron does such a thing, but what is to be expected? We're getting a lens that provides, optically, 95%+ what lenses nearly three times as expensive provide. If in addition they supply a six or seven year warranty, that should raise suspicions from the get-go. It's been several years since I read the warranty, so I don't remember any details. I do remember not being impressed, and regarding it as a mere marketing gimmick, meant to ensnare the naive and the unwary.

I went ahead and bought a refurbed Tamron 70-200 for $640. It came with a non-Tamron warranty which I suspect is close to useless. But that's fine. If it had come with a legit warranty, it would have cost more money.

If you raise a big enough stink, you may be able to get them to honor the warranty --- or maybe not. But I wouldn't waste any calories being indignant about it.
01-12-2017, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update:

I sent Tamron support facility my inquiry about the repair, along with my pictures of the parts and spelled out my misgivings about the repair.

I was told in not so many words, that the repair facility had already taken my warranty into consideration, and while they were unable to disclose the dollar amount, that I had received a significant discount on the repair as the warranty was taken into account. They went on to say that the repair code used for cracked cam barrel also takes into consideration an out of round cam barrel, which they say can only happen with impact damage.

My reply was, to the effect, how in the world can you have an impact hard enough to send the barrel out of round without leaving even the tiniest mark on the exterior... and that such a gray area certainly should go to the customers benefit of the doubt. No reply as yet.

I guess the gist of their reply could be summarized as "you got a heck of deal on the price of the repair, you should be happy and move on".

There is probably an element of truth to that, and upon reflection I am certain the normal repair price would be well over double the $240 I paid, but still... it does feel like I've been nicked over something that a successful large company should have eaten gladly. I've owned a small business for over 25 years, and I always used warranty claims to show off to my clients how good we are at standing behind what we sell, and do it with a smile. It is one of the best forms of advertising, because word gets around that you stand behind your product and you get referral clients.

The last ball is in Tamron's court, it's up to them how they want me to perceive them from here on. I will post what their final response is if/when it comes.

Eric