Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SMC 14 mm - broken filter tread

Hallo all.
I've found a used 14 mm I'm interestd to but the seller says it has some problems with the filter tread : it has a degree of movement . Obviously it seems a damage but I ask: is it repairable? Does it affect the performance of the lens? The seller was honest declaring the problem and lowering the price of the lens. He/she also says that otherwise the lens is perfect.

Is that a huge problem? Thanks in advance for every suggestion. Best regards.Matteo

Last edited by bm75; 01-31-2017 at 08:43 AM.
01-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you want to use filters with it, it may be an issue (of course) and if that also means that the hood would not fit correctly, that could be another issue....
01-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The seller says that filters, cap and hood all fit in; just all the plastic/metal piece (the base for those) moves freely by some degree and is "just captive to the lens body". Honestly I don't understand what does it mean but the seller cannot explain better.
01-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Personally, I'd pass on this lens unless I had the chance to try it myself and it was very cheap.

The reason I'd pass is that filter damage typically results from dropping the lens onto something hard. A shock like this can damage alignment, which can ruin pictures.

Of course, it could be something else entirely and maybe the optics are great. That's why you test it personally and pay careful attention to your results.

I imagine that a Pentax repair facility can replace the filter threads and realign the lens for a fee of, I'd guess, $100-$150. So then lens would have to be cheap enough that repair is economically feasible, plus factor in 2 months of wait time to ship the lens, wait in queue, and get it back.

Here's a question for you: if the lens is perfect and repair is cheap and the seller is trustworthy, then why is he selling it?

01-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're right. I'm exactly doubting about lens alignment and damage caused by hard shock. But I never had got a 14mm in my hands so I have no ideas of how rough the lens is . And -i did not understand how this part of the lens barrel could be damaged until being "captive to the lens body". In my opinion such a damage would intest the frontal lens/group of lenses thus forcing some degradation of the IQ. Perhaps some images taken with the lens would show some decentering issue. I will ask the seller for those

Last edited by bm75; 01-31-2017 at 11:10 AM.
01-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It is a trivial repair. 10 minutes of work.
Great !! I'll give a chance to the lens, if the seller would provide any test shot with the lens- Thank you all.
Matteo
01-31-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

How do these screws become loose? I've used a lot of lenses and haven't ever seen those screws come loose.

What is the likelihood that whatever caused the loose screws doesn't also mean that the seller is hiding something?

01-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it could be that a shock had loosen the screws, That's why I need more info from the seller. But the lens could be fine , then.
01-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

with pentax screws are their weakest point.
02-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think there could be something strange in lens design/construction because I own some old primes but they are rock-hard and never happened to loose screws. Perhaps is a lens construction weak point; by the way I never heard of that from any lens.
02-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hood of DA14 is notoriously hard to put on and get off. If someone has forced it and has done it incorrectly (e.g. holding the back section, not the front section) and repeatedly, it could contribute to the looseness.
02-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Hood of DA14 is notoriously hard to put on and get off. If someone has forced it and has done it incorrectly (e.g. holding the back section, not the front section) and repeatedly, it could contribute to the looseness.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm quite convinced that the lens could be optically good. The problem would be find a laboratory in my country for repairs. Perhaps LTR in Torino would do the job. I'll ask them via email . Thank You all.

Matteo