Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now What

My K-3 has been acting up (yep, the dreaded mirror rapid fire, problems focusing, etc.). I purchased it in 2014 and it has a 44,000 shutter count so it should be good for another 150,000. The firmware is up to date (including the update that was supposed to fix the problem.) It is not under warranty but it is insured and the cost will be refunded as long as it isn't worth more than the insurance value.

The Precision repair website does not tell me what I need to know before I send it in. I tried calling and had to leave a number but not sure I will hear back from them. The price quote seems to be a standard quote no matter the problem. This is OK but, if the camera is not fixable do I get that money back or do they charge me for diagnosing? I am unable to duplicate the problem so am not sure they can fix it without being able to do it either. Should I wait until it goes completely bonkers? The problem is a known problem so I feel they should be able to go ahead and fix it without being able to duplicate it. There doesn't seem to be any way, on the web form at least, to even tell them what the problem is. They do tell you how to pack the camera and I am assuming they would want a copy of the online form included with it along with some sort of description of what is wrong with it.

Can anyone give me any idea of where I should go from here? How long should I give them to return my call (it has only been 24 hours but surely their help line can't be busy 24 hours a day).

Thanks for any advice or help you can give.

02-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Geez, Susan, I've never been to this part of the forum before - I just happened to spot your name. Sorry to hear your camera is acting up.

This sort of thing is always a conundrum. I guess I'd give 'em a few days to return your call before doing anything else. Do they have an email address? Was your episode a one time event or is it sporadic? I had it happen to mine about 2 months after I bought it - the problem has never reappeared to this day.

I'm betting that this issue is sufficiently well understood that they know the fix, but . . . . . . . . . life has taught me to be cynical about such things. What do they want for their blanket charge? If it's a few hundred bucks, it might be better to just spring for a new camera.

I don't know why interaction with camera repair businesses has to be so painful. It's nothing new: I had to return a brand new LX to Pentax in Colorado for warranty repair back in '82; it took three months, yelling at a surly Pentax service guy over the phone and finally a letter to a Pentax VP (which they had in those days) to get it repaired.

Anyway . . . . . . . on a positive note, Happy New Year to you and yours!

Jer
02-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Geez, Susan, I've never been to this part of the forum before - I just happened to spot your name. Sorry to hear your camera is acting up.

This sort of thing is always a conundrum. I guess I'd give 'em a few days to return your call before doing anything else. Do they have an email address? Was your episode a one time event or is it sporadic? I had it happen to mine about 2 months after I bought it - the problem has never reappeared to this day.

I'm betting that this issue is sufficiently well understood that they know the fix, but . . . . . . . . . life has taught me to be cynical about such things. What do they want for their blanket charge? If it's a few hundred bucks, it might be better to just spring for a new camera.

I don't know why interaction with camera repair businesses has to be so painful. It's nothing new: I had to return a brand new LX to Pentax in Colorado for warranty repair back in '82; it took three months, yelling at a surly Pentax service guy over the phone and finally a letter to a Pentax VP (which they had in those days) to get it repaired.

Anyway . . . . . . . on a positive note, Happy New Year to you and yours!

Jer
Thanks Jer. I thought I would give them til the end of the week then start bugging them with more phone calls. There doesn't seem to be any method to contact them except by phone or filling out their repair form with my credit card info. The camera started doing weird stuff back in 2015 but only for a few shots then it began behaving again. This time it was worse and I would hate be stuck out in the wilds without any camera. I would like to get an estimate at least so my insurance would cover the cost of the repair or a new camera. I keep thinking if this was an automobile, I would have some recourse. RV's are the same way, the companies that make the darn things don't seem to have many regulations and no lemon laws.
Appreciate your chiming in. Happy New Year to you and yours too.
02-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Closed Account

Hi Susan, sorry to hear that your K-3 is playing up. This issue came up for another member a short time ago, and @stevebrot mentioned that the firmware update did not " fix " the problem, it made the camera aware that it was going to happen and shut it down after a few ( not prolonged ) shutter actuations. If your camera is rapid fire until you pull the battery, it is definitely faulty. If it shoots rapid fire for short time only, then stops, the firmware update is working. I hope Steve chimes in, as he explains this stuff much better than I do, and he may have some other questions for you to help out. Very good luck to you madam !!

02-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I hope Steve chimes in, as he explains this stuff much better than I do, and he may have some other questions for you to help out. Very good luck to you madam !!
Your explanation sounds fine. The full fix involves a low level reflash of the camera's electronics and should not be too expensive, but does require an authorized service facility.

Steve
02-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Susan, sorry to hear that your K-3 is playing up. This issue came up for another member a short time ago, and @stevebrot mentioned that the firmware update did not " fix " the problem, it made the camera aware that it was going to happen and shut it down after a few ( not prolonged ) shutter actuations. If your camera is rapid fire until you pull the battery, it is definitely faulty. If it shoots rapid fire for short time only, then stops, the firmware update is working. I hope Steve chimes in, as he explains this stuff much better than I do, and he may have some other questions for you to help out. Very good luck to you madam !!
Thank you so much. You know, I did have an older battery in the camera at the time. I have since tossed it and replaced it with a new one. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I will wait and see if the problem recurs.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your explanation sounds fine. The full fix involves a low level reflash of the camera's electronics and should not be too expensive, but does require an authorized service facility.
Steve
Thanks Steve. I appreciate all the help this forum provides. I will play the wait and see game.
02-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thank you so much.
You are most welcome. Happy to help.