Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,799
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Glad your insurance will cover.



None for your K-S2, though the waterproof lines of Pentax adventure cameras are standards compliant. To the best of my knowledge, NO digital interchangeable lens camera is standards complaint for water resistance. What's more, all makers disallow warranty coverage if evidence of water incursion is found, even on "waterproof" models.

There's the Nikon AW1, but I've heard some horror stories about water getting into the camera anyway.

02-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
There's the Nikon AW1, but I've heard some horror stories about water getting into the camera anyway.


I thought they quit making that one. So much for standards-based seals, eh?


Steve
02-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #18
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 10,484
Read on. As @stevebrot said several times "none"

From the first link above:
QuoteQuote:
Note: PENTAX DSLRs and lenses which are designated as dust, water or weather-resistant are not graded using JIS classifications.
02-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #19
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Libau, MB, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 75
Original Poster
On Monday Feb 6th 2017 I took my questions to Pentax speaking daily I finally got my answer Thursday Feb 9 2017. To quote Pentax

" There is no standard/classification of weather resistant, because it is not waterproof product.

Weather resistance is a material's ability to hold up against deterioration from exposure to harsh elements.
This may include strong sun, wind, rain, humidity, snow or extremely hot and cold temperatures.
Although a material maybe determined to be weather resistant, this does not mean that it will not incur any damage.
You can find more detail information how to carrying the camera in the operating manual page 147

Based on our inspection this camera was water damaged, PCB corrosion and some screws are rusted - see pictures attached.
The camera seems to be exposed to water or liquid for a prolonged period of time. "

This camera was splashed once and only once in Hawaii as where I live is covered in snow. So there is the answer there is no external body to which Pentax answers to. They would not define what testing was done to ensure weather resistance. They would also not indicate where the water came in from. So I would recommend after this to use the definition of weather resistant with caution. As for my next camera purchase weather resistance will not play a factor in the decision.

02-09-2017, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 16,393
QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
On Monday Feb 6th 2017 I took my questions to Pentax speaking daily I finally got my answer Thursday Feb 9 2017. To quote Pentax

" There is no standard/classification of weather resistant, because it is not waterproof product. ...etc.
Yep, I think we said all this.

Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc ... all toe the same line.

Here for your future reference, is an explanation of standards:

Water Proof, Water Resistant, and IPX - What Does It All Mean? - Outdoor Tech Blog

Look for the Ipx rating on products. Not many have one.
02-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
On Monday Feb 6th 2017 I took my questions to Pentax speaking daily I finally got my answer Thursday Feb 9 2017. To quote Pentax

" There is no standard/classification of weather resistant, because it is not waterproof product.

Weather resistance is a material's ability to hold up against deterioration from exposure to harsh elements.
This may include strong sun, wind, rain, humidity, snow or extremely hot and cold temperatures.
Although a material maybe determined to be weather resistant, this does not mean that it will not incur any damage.
You can find more detail information how to carrying the camera in the operating manual page 147

Based on our inspection this camera was water damaged, PCB corrosion and some screws are rusted - see pictures attached.
The camera seems to be exposed to water or liquid for a prolonged period of time. "

This camera was splashed once and only once in Hawaii as where I live is covered in snow. So there is the answer there is no external body to which Pentax answers to. They would not define what testing was done to ensure weather resistance. They would also not indicate where the water came in from. So I would recommend after this to use the definition of weather resistant with caution. As for my next camera purchase weather resistance will not play a factor in the decision.
Sorry you had this experience. The question, "How good are Pentax seals?" comes up frequently on this site. The comments on this thread (answers to your questions) were drawn from previous questions on the topic and from early experiences going back to the K10D where users found out rather painfully that the seals are a deterrent to incursion and not a guaranty of being waterproof. I appreciate that you found the responses to your question unacceptable, but they were true, none-the-less. What is also true is that those who responded also own the gear (some for a decade or longer) and never made the assumption that their cameras were immune from leakage.

Again, it is very sad that your wife's camera was killed by a splash of seawater. OTOH, your insurance has offered to cover, so all is not lost. There are many nice bodies in the same price bracket that have no seals and one of those may be a better choice.


Steve

(...thinking about my "black label" Gore-Tex that eventually leaks...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-09-2017 at 08:57 PM.
02-09-2017, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Libau, MB, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 75
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry you had this experience. The question, "How good are Pentax seals?" comes up frequently on this site. The comments on this thread (answers to your questions) were drawn from previous questions on the topic and from early experiences going back to the K10D where users found out rather painfully that the seals are a deterrent to incursion and not a guaranty of being waterproof. I appreciate that you found the responses to your question unacceptable, but they were true, none-the-less. What is also true is that those who responded also own the gear (some for a decade or longer) and never made the assumption that their cameras were immune from leakage.

Again, it is very sad that your wife's camera was killed by a splash of seawater. OTOH, your insurance has offered to cover, so all is not lost. There are many nice bodies in the same price bracket that have no seals and one of those may be a better choice.


Steve

(...thinking about my "black label" Gore-Tex that eventually leaks...)
Thanks Steve.

I have a outdoor wedding to shoot this summer which I now will have to better prepare for. Before this incident I was confident in my WR equipment now I will rethink it and be prepared like the old days.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k110d, ks2, olympus, pentax, pentax service, repair, service, warranty, water, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water-damaged 645Z: not covered by warranty?!?! BrunoL Pentax Medium Format 63 01-01-2017 03:37 PM
KS2 for Weddings and events? john5100 Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 9 06-19-2016 10:32 AM
To KS2 or not to KS2, that is the question soliony Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 20 06-14-2015 02:09 AM
KS2 and 15mm Ltd shiner Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 2 06-02-2015 05:25 AM
Pentax warranty and extended warranty eligibilty rrwilliams64 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 01-31-2014 05:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top