Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
From all that you've said and the fact that you wear glasses, I'm inclined to think that your ME Super is fine and it's just a matter of getting used to the split screen and/or getting a diopter adjustment. How is the splitscreen if you wear your glasses?

The optical design of a split screen is kind of interesting in that the light doesn't actually focus on the split screen surface but passes through to your eye. The carved shape in the plastic is actually two little half-lenses for refracting light coming from different parts of the lens aperture. If the lens is in focus then the two half-images will line up on the centerline of the splitscreen.

But that optical design can play tricks with people who wear glasses or need glasses because their eyes might not be correctly focusing the image coming through the little half-lenses. And if one's eye is off-center in the viewfinder, one of the half-lenses may be looking through the edge of the lens aperture, making it dim or fuzzy.

Good luck & enjoy the ME Super!
I wear my glasses all the time, whether OVF of SLR or EVF of my mirrorless. I need full diopter adjustment on my K-S2 and NEX-6 to get things working properly when wearing glasses. I also use a magnifying eye cup on my K-S2.

This issue happens when I put my glasses one, never tried with glasses off.

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 09:50 PM ----------

Here's the thing. My myopia and astigmatism is so bad that I am half-blind with glasses off, including through the OVF. So I have done everything with glasses. In fact I started photography as it helped to maintain my eyesight.

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 09:54 PM ----------

My current glasses are Hoya-made aspherical elements, does this have an influence?

02-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've worn eyeglasses nearly all my life and am extremely nearsighted (-10 diopter) with astigmatism to boot. I have never had any of the issues described by the OP with any of my MF cameras with split and microprism focusing screen.

It's only with slow lenses (f/5.6 or slower) that blackening of the split prism or micro collar becomes a problem which is usually solved by moving the eye/camera ever so slightly left or right.

It still sounds like an alignment problem to me. Something is off the plane of focus. You could always open the camera and put a piece of tracing or wax paper over the shutter opening and in bulb mode check the focus of the image projected on the tracing paper.. If something parallel to the film plane is out of focus on one side this would indicate the lens or mount being out of alignment. If only the image in the viewfinder shows unbalanced focus then the alignment problem is probably with the mirror or focus screen.

Send the camera back.
It's currently loaded with a roll of TMAX 100. I will probably wait for the film to be processed.

---------- Post added 02-25-17 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax made a series of slide-on adapters in various strengths called "Diopter Correction Lens Adapter M". They fit all Pentax K-mount cameras with the exception of K-series bodies. The negative diopters are much more common than the positive versions and are often found on Amazon and eBay.

PENTAX Diopter Correction Lens Adapter M reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
Is there a way to determine which adapter is needed from the diopter setting on my K-S2?

Sincerely

P.S. I found that if I shut my left eye tight, focusing experience is as pleasant as my KM, when having my FA43 attached.
02-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Is there a way to determine which adapter is needed from the diopter setting on my K-S2?
I guess you could look up what the min and max adjustment is for the K-S2 and count the number of clicks to figure out amount of change per click. Then count the number of clicks from one end or the other to your adjustment point.
02-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Send the camera back.
OK so today the camera developed sticky mirror syndrome. Called KEH, they gave me a full refund.

A community member auditing my French class saw my camera, and decided that she will kindly give me her set of ME, lenses, and accessories. Really expecting that!