Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax ME Super Shutter speed fault

Hi guys,

I bought a Pentax ME Super about 2 weeks ago, and yesterday sent in the first roll of film to be developed and all the pictures came out dark, in fact they said that the film looked like it had not been exposed at all.

When I got home I found that the light meter is working and is showing the correct shutter speed for the lighting situation, but the shutter speed seems to be at the maximum, so to me that says that what ever is controlling the shutter speed is not working correctly and the shutter speed to way too fast, thus causing the pictures to not be exposed.

Has anyone else had this problem and can it be fixed?

This is my first film camera and I really want to get into shooting film.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

02-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably the shutter magnet isn't isn't holding the second curtain so the shutter doesn't open. Sometimes it is caused by the shutter not getting cocked and sometimes the the magnet is dirty or has failed. Cleaning the shutter may fix it. Tuner cleaner might work. Don't get it anywhere but the shutter.
02-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Are you sure the film engaged on the take spool at all? Was there some resistance on the rewind handle for more than just a few turns? And you can usually hear and feel when the tail of the film disengages from the take up spool, goes past the pressure plate and ends up in the cassette. You should also see the cassette spool knob rotate when you advance the film. If the film wasn't engaged on the take up the knob won't turn.