Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 04:49 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Positive experience with Precision

I feel compelled to make a post, because it's normal for people to only be vocal if they're wronged and disappointed. This is totally valid, but it does skew perception.

I bought my K-1 from B&H and received it sometime in late March. I dropped it from my lap while stepping out of a car in mid April and, as far as I could diagnose, the shutter ceased to open. I sought out the quote on Precision's webpage ($312.50) and got a work order to ship it in. It was delivered to Precision on April 20 and marked as "IN REPAIR" on April 21 (my birthday - how depressing). On April 28 the status changed to "OUT OF REPAIR", they charged my credit card for the quoted amount, and I had a tracking number immediately. It was back in my hands on May 1 (shipped to my work address as I requested), with a ticket stating it had the shutter replaced and was generally cleaned and calibrated. It was returned to factory settings, and it still has the scuffs from the fall, but they did leave my screen protector on. ;-)

Besides the embarrassment of dropping the thing, the fee for repair, and suffering without it for (a mere) two weeks, it was totally painless! The camera works perfectly and is making those beautiful camera sounds instead of scary clunky ones.

Cheers!

05-02-2017, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good post.
it is always pleasing to hear the good experiences!
05-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #3
Closed Account

Excellent news and outcome Sara. As Rod said, too often only the " bad " experiences are shared. Happy shooting, and happy birthday for the 21st !!!
05-02-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's great to hear, Sara, and good for you in posting this. Nice to learn of a positive experience... I'm sure you're not the only one, but as Pete says, usually we only get to hear of the bad stuff...

05-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hopefully this is the new normal. I do not recall seeing any Precision bashing threads in a while. Thanks for sharing.
05-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's encouraging, and thanks for sharing. I should check on my DA 16-50 that I sent in a while ago, but have not heard anything. Did you do anything to get the prompt repair?

Update: I just checked. My 16-50 was received on April 20 and went into repair the same day, but has not come out of repair yet. I am suspecting there is a difficult problem, though that was not apparent with the lens. Hmmmmm........

Last edited by GlennG; 05-02-2017 at 06:54 AM. Reason: more information
05-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great to hear Sara, it is nice to hear positive feedback about these services.

05-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
My 16-50 was received on April 20 and went into repair the same day, but has not come out of repair yet. I am suspecting there is a difficult problem, though that was not apparent with the lens. Hmmmmm........
It could be that being logged as "into repair" really means "we have received it at our facility." Or it could be that they are waiting on parts that need to be ordered in. If that was the case it would be nice if they added that note to your status.
05-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to see some compliments for Precision that are deserved. They have helped me in a positive manner in the past.
05-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
It could be that being logged as "into repair" really means "we have received it at our facility." Or it could be that they are waiting on parts that need to be ordered in. If that was the case it would be nice if they added that note to your status.
I believe they do exactly those things, actually! There's kind of a flow chart on the website so you can check the repair status. 'Received' is separate from 'In Repair', and there's a separate note that pops up on the 'In Repair' window if they're waiting for parts. I didn't have to wait for parts, but I saw the screen shot in another thread... I forget who the OP was.
05-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

That is good to know. Sounds like they have a good system. Glenn, I hope you get an update soon.
05-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I believe they do exactly those things, actually! There's kind of a flow chart on the website so you can check the repair status. 'Received' is separate from 'In Repair', and there's a separate note that pops up on the 'In Repair' window if they're waiting for parts.
Yes, that is correct. I tried to paste a snip, but could not do it. I did not see the repair parts window, though. The four status boxes are received, in repair, out of repair, and shipped confirmed.
05-02-2017, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got to add another vote of good service from them. It was a warranty repair on a DA 16-85 that had the zoom mechanism lock up. Even though it had to be sent back to the Pentax factory ultimately, the overall turn around wasn't bad for a round trip from the East Coast to Japan and the overall time you'd expect for diagnostics. I had a human call me pretty quickly after sending it in and feel the communication was pretty good. And of course, the next obvious question is how long? I'd have to look at the receipt to be 100%, but in the 3 week time frame. Again, for a round trip to Pentax and back, I don't think too bad at all.

I have just sent in a SMCP-DA 14 this past Friday, e.g. took it to the Post Office last Friday, and it shows received yesterday and in repair process today. Fingers crossed, but hoping it will be another good experience.
05-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #14

The past 10-11 months Precision seems to be having quite a few positive experiences posted. It looks like there are positive outcomes on the work done, turn around time and communication. Improvements include faster turn around times, phone calls with status updates as well as more updates on the online job status. People who say they've heard nothing but bad things about Precision need to look at the recent postings of others experiences and not just read the first couple of pages on the older threads.
05-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've got to add another vote of good service from them. It was a warranty repair on a DA 16-85 that had the zoom mechanism lock up. Even though it had to be sent back to the Pentax factory ultimately, the overall turn around wasn't bad for a round trip from the East Coast to Japan and the overall time you'd expect for diagnostics. I had a human call me pretty quickly after sending it in and feel the communication was pretty good. And of course, the next obvious question is how long? I'd have to look at the receipt to be 100%, but in the 3 week time frame. Again, for a round trip to Pentax and back, I don't think too bad at all.

I have just sent in a SMCP-DA 14 this past Friday, e.g. took it to the Post Office last Friday, and it shows received yesterday and in repair process today. Fingers crossed, but hoping it will be another good experience.
Ricoh Japan fixed your lens, not Precision in CT then. I look forward to how/what Precision does with your DA 14.

The bigger issue, with Precision, has been with their lens repair abilities. It seems their camera body repair has been fairly good all along. The more complaints seem to be with how they handle lens repair specifically and communication in general. Perhaps it is now their routine to send the lenses off to Japan though if they require serious work?

Either way speed seems to be decent.. and communication seems well in your experience. Hopefully they have learned their lessons and sorted out the issues there.