Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

SquareTrade Experience?

Long story short, I bought a HD DA 20 40 used from B&H and bought a SquareTrade warranty. Yesterday I noticed it was slightly decentered. Although it is not really a problem in real world shots, I still want to know if SquareTrade will cover it and how long does it takes. I am currently not in USA and will be back by September. The warranty expires November.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

05-15-2017, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Long story short, I bought a HD DA 20 40 used from B&H and bought a SquareTrade warranty. Yesterday I noticed it was slightly decentered. Although it is not really a problem in real world shots, I still want to know if SquareTrade will cover it and how long does it takes. I am currently not in USA and will be back by September. The warranty expires November.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro
Give B&H a jingle and get their take on the problem mentioning the square trade coverage if they can't help you and see if they have some advice. Some problems like decentering may not be considered a real "defect" unless you can prove it affects lens performance significantly so it might be a hard sell to square trade. If square trade will cover it, all they will do is refund your money or pay to have it repaired (if that can be done), so politely asking B&H if you can return it against a new lens might be your best option.

Personally, I had only anecdotal experience with square trade and it's mixed. If a covered item goes out of production and is unavailable, they obviously can't arrange for repairs. It's good to have that coverage if a failure occurs but it's all a gamble because the likelihood of failure in many products is so low you're playing the odds. I've been lucky and had one item fail that I bought insurance for (not square trade) and got it replaced, but I've had many, many items that I didn't insure and they are all still working - a gamble. Just my take.
05-15-2017, 10:31 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I bought a Square Trade warranty for my very first Pentax DSLR body, an *ist DL. I killed the camera with a botched firmware upgrade and they didn't mince words. I got a full refund of the purchase price in a couple of weeks and I got to keep the lens and all the other accessories that came with it.
06-07-2017, 09:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4

i've had several positive experiences with squaretrade. they fixed my ipod, which i sent on a monday and received back a week later. they refunded me for a blender that died, and their repair people figured out that the "scratch" on the sensor of my used panasonic G3 from B&H was only hardened gunk and cleaned it and sent it back within two weeks from my dropoff to receiving. i had tried wet cleaning myself but it didn't move, and samy's repair guy said it was a scratch, so i was happy to discover that all it needed was a professional cleaning. btw, i'm in the u.s., so shipping didn't take that long.