Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

K-5iis after being knocked over

My K-5iis was knocked over and it fell about 4ft to the floor. The lens popped out of the body and the plastic mount on the lens is busted. Immediately after the fall, the camera would not turn on. The top LCD would flash green, but nothing would happen afterwards. I also noticed that I could hear and feel something somewhat large move inside of the body. The censor and mirror seem to be ok. Now after a couple of hours, the camera turns on and seems to operate without problem, although I don't have a lens handy to test everything out. I've been thinking about opening the body up to take a look at whatever is moving around inside. My main worry is that opening the body could have some negative consequences. Does anybody have any thoughts?

05-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is working, don't fix it.
05-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
If it is working, don't fix it.
That's what I was thinking. Thank you!
05-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's moving may be the sensor in the shake reduction mounting. if this is it then this is normal.

Regards

Chris

05-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, some "clunk" sound is normal because the SR mechanism is loose until it activates, using magnets. Don't rattle the camera to recreate the noise! That can actually damage it.
Don't open it. If the damage is not in warranty and you don't have a paid gig coming up, just use the camera normally and have it repaired when it actually stops working correctly. If you need to rely on the camera 100% then you might want to bring along a backup body or something
There are numerous threads about the Clunk sound, even a sticky warning for newbies.

Too bad about the fall! Hope you can salvage the lens