Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF360FGZ Hot Shoe Split

I was using my AF360FGZ tonight to test some Cactus Transceivers I just got. The bottom of the flash hot shoe split on each of its sides and came off of the transceiver stand. It is only the very bottom of the hot shoe. None of the electrical contacts seem damaged and the flash menu system and flash still operate, but I cannot attach it to the camera. I have attached an image of what I am referring to. I have three of these and the last time I bought one was approximately 10/2015 so most likely it is not under warranty. As I said the flash is like spotless except for the plastic missing on the sides of the hot shoe. It cost me about $199 originally and I don't know if there is a part I can get to easily repair it, send it to Precision which may cost more than it is worth, or if I should I just get a YN560IV or something like that to replace it for manual shooting off camera. It is a nice flash, I would like to salvage it, but like I mentioned the 65 dollars or so for a YN560IV may be a better solution unless I can repair it myself for a cheaper price with the proper parts.

Any opinions welcome.

Thank you.

Edit: Does anyone know where the hot shoe replacement part for the AF360FGZ can be obtained at a reasonable price and if the installation is simple?

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-15-2017 at 09:51 PM.
06-16-2017, 01:36 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Genuine AF360 FGZ Flash Replacement Spare Repair Parts | uscamera.com

Good news, it's very cheap (when compared with most camera related things...)

I'm in two minds about the plastic shoe. It does mean that it's a weak part, but I think it's better that the plastic shoe breaks than if it were strong enough to snap the top off your camera.

(I've bought parts from US camera before without problems.)
06-16-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a second vote for the shoe foot from US Camera. I bought one from them and installed it without any problem. For just over $12 bucks, you can't go wrong. I also agree that maybe it's OK to have this week link to prevent ripping the camera apart. Tough call on that, but easy fix if it breaks.
06-16-2017, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Pentax Genuine AF360 FGZ Flash Replacement Spare Repair Parts | uscamera.com

Good news, it's very cheap (when compared with most camera related things...)

I'm in two minds about the plastic shoe. It does mean that it's a weak part, but I think it's better that the plastic shoe breaks than if it were strong enough to snap the top off your camera.

(I've bought parts from US camera before without problems.)

Thank you so much. I will probably purchase one today.

---------- Post added 06-16-17 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Just a second vote for the shoe foot from US Camera. I bought one from them and installed it without any problem. For just over $12 bucks, you can't go wrong. I also agree that maybe it's OK to have this week link to prevent ripping the camera apart. Tough call on that, but easy fix if it breaks.
I just looked at the product price. You are right, that is really a good deal. I am not sure on exactly how to remove the old one and replace it with the new one yet. If you possibly know a link to instructions on the procedure I would be interested. I wonder if it comes with instructions or if there is a video I could watch or something. I'm curious as to if I would have to remove the four screws on the bottom of the flash to do it.

Thanks so much.

---------- Post added 06-16-17 at 11:34 AM ----------

I went ahead and ordered the part listed below from USCamera. I saw a video about a shoe foot replacement and have the basic idea of how to do it.

Genuine Pentax replacement flash shoe foot for the AF360 FGZ flash unit.

Only $12.16

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-16-2017 at 08:42 AM.
06-16-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's really easy. You'll undo those 4 screws on the bottom of the flash, and the base will come away. Be gentle. There is a bundle of fine wires that connect to the body of the flash. Carefully grab the connector, not the wires, where it attaches to the board in the body of the flash, and you can gently pull/wiggle it free. You'll now have the base in your hand. When you look inside, there are 4 screws you'll have to undo. This will release the broken foot, but also holds some metal pieces and the pins that connect to the ends of the wires. The solder connections and wires are delicate, so handle accordingly e.g. don't dangle the base by them. Pay attention to how the pieces connect/sit, and you shouldn't have any problem. Here's a thread from awhile back where another user posted some pictures that show the insides of the foot once removed:

trying to remove broken foot of Pentax 360 flash to fit new one. - PentaxForums.com
06-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It's really easy. You'll undo those 4 screws on the bottom of the flash, and the base will come away. Be gentle. There is a bundle of fine wires that connect to the body of the flash. Carefully grab the connector, not the wires, where it attaches to the board in the body of the flash, and you can gently pull/wiggle it free. You'll now have the base in your hand. When you look inside, there are 4 screws you'll have to undo. This will release the broken foot, but also holds some metal pieces and the pins that connect to the ends of the wires. The solder connections and wires are delicate, so handle accordingly e.g. don't dangle the base by them. Pay attention to how the pieces connect/sit, and you shouldn't have any problem. Here's a thread from awhile back where another user posted some pictures that show the insides of the foot once removed:

trying to remove broken foot of Pentax 360 flash to fit new one. - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the instructions. Do you know if a #0 Phillips head screwdriver (small) would fit the Phillips head screws that are on the base of the flash and the 4 screws inside? I almost bought the #0 Phillips size today, but I decided to check here on the forums to see if there is another size or sizes that I may need. Please let me know if you can. Thanks.
06-16-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome. A #0 will do the trick as will some small jeweler's screwdrivers. However, if you think you might get into fiddling with cameras, pickup something vintage of eBay to fiddle with and try your repair hand at etc., get a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. They are a little different, and if you get into really tight screws, you run a good chance of stripping them out with a phillips. That said, for this instance, I think you'll be fine with a #0. You can find the JIS screwdrivers easily enough on Amazon and eBay.

06-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll most likely pick up a #0 Phillips screwdriver or a Jewelers screwdriver set that includes the #0 within the next few days. I saw the JIS type screwdrivers you mentioned on ebay. I also watched a video comparing JIS and Phillips head types. I see what you mean about the differences in their structure. If I do ever get more involved in camera repair I will most likely get the JIS "S" type tools. It will probably be a few days until I get the part I ordered. I will just make sure to be careful/gentle with the repair, and not use too much pressure when loosening and tightening the screws.
06-17-2017, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

My general camera/ computer repair tips:

Take a photo of EVERY step of dissembley. (Nothing that looks obvious when assembled is actually obvious when going back together!)
Use an egg carton to keep track of the order that you removed screws. Also stops them falling off your desk.
:-)
06-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My general camera/ computer repair tips:

Take a photo of EVERY step of dissembley. (Nothing that looks obvious when assembled is actually obvious when going back together!)
Use an egg carton to keep track of the order that you removed screws. Also stops them falling off your desk.
:-)
Thank you for the advice.
06-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is it best to use magnetic or non-magnetic tools if I am doing this type of repair?
06-17-2017, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I can't see magnetic being a problem with the flash. Wouldn't use on a computer though.

If you intend to do a bit more DIY repairs, pointed tweezers are very useful and I also I have a cool little three pronged thing called a 'pearl catcher tool' that is good at holding tiny screws or rescuing them when they fall inside impossible to reach areas.
06-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't see magnetic being a problem with the flash. Wouldn't use on a computer though.

If you intend to do a bit more DIY repairs, pointed tweezers are very useful and I also I have a cool little three pronged thing called a 'pearl catcher tool' that is good at holding tiny screws or rescuing them when they fall inside impossible to reach areas.
Thanks.

Do you use magnetic JIS tools or do you think non-magnetic are sufficient (not a big difference)?
06-18-2017, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

If buying, i would get non magnetic. You can always make any screwdriver temporarily magnetic by sticking a magnet on it!
06-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know.