Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reading through the posts looks like im not the only one that had or is having issues with there pentax 150 450mm lens , mine just recently stared to jam when retracing the lens barrel , it would stick around 200mm with a little jiggling i could get it to close fully , the lock also had stopped working , last time i had it out , it would not focus , the motor was running , i disconnected the lens and it appeared the rear optics had falling inside the lens casing , it would only sit in place when the lens was fully retracted , it was not jamming now but rattling , this lens is now 3 years old , I travel ( hike ) with this lens with a heavy strap . im thinking this is the reason it started to jam in the first place , with no warranty remaining , i removed the back lens plate for was curious what had broken inside ,from all the rattling . two round plastic cylinder type , with a screw in the middle fell out , im assuming this is what was holding the rear optics in place , how this came apart i can only guess from me trying to fully close the lens on several occasions , with last time being a struggle , when i tried to focus next time camera was powered up the focus motor strain must have snapped these tabs holding the rear optics in place , and from me trying to fully close it must have weakened the plastic tabs , only explanation i can come up with , I still don't know why then lens was jamming , I have dropped this off to my camera shop for return to supplier , but with no warranty i do not expect anything , only me being out the $3000.00 bucks , anymore then 500 bucks to repair i don't think is worth the risk , i think the parts to repair will be the problem , so my question is from reading all the posts on the issues with this lens , has it been corrected from the manufacture ? and if so is there any production date of the correction . i would hate to purchase another lens keeping the old one for parts , and finding out i have the same Friday production line ..... needless to say i'm very disappointed , being that i had saved and sold a few of my belongings off in order to buy this lens for wildlife photography , but anything with moving parts is always a gamble , wish there were more options with prime long lenes but they just dont exist in the pentax mount , nothing new at least . However one would think you would get more than 3 years out of a lens , if you own one of these lenes i would not recommend carrying it around on a tripod which i did do a lot of , and with the lock working half the time , i think this added to the problem for the lens would retract and extract on its own and not knowing this must have caused wear and damage internally , I don't think this is a work lens , after owning it and what has happened to it , keep it in is protective case until use , but then if your shooting wildlife with it like myself , animals don't tend to stick around long and wait for you to set up .

06-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you found the right thread but start reading my posts starting back in July of 2019:

DFA 150-450mm needs repair - PentaxForums.com

the posts talk about my experience with my Pentax 150-450mm zoom when the screws stripped and the part containing the optics separated from the controls section

bottom line I suggest you call Phototronic in Topeka Kansas

http://www.phototronictopeka.com/

he was able to help me with my problem

mine was out of warranty

the cost of repair was less than $300 [ but I didn't have to pay for any shipping ]

no contact was made with Pentax because it had no warranty and I bought it from a previous owner a couple of years before the problem arose

Thank you so much for your help and detail that really helps me realize we had the same exact issue. I am a bit of a do it yourselfer whenever I think itís not a huge problem or if it looks simple enough and I am almost keen to try and fix the issue myself but I canít get a hand on the blueprint or a diagram of the whole lens assembly like I have found on other lenses. If anyone has found one I would really appreciate a point in the right direction. If I can perhaps fix it myself before going thru the route you pointed me on perhaps I can save other a huge trouble and cash. I am happy to be part of the Pentax community and itís so great to see all the help provided this community is awesome.
07-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To give an update on my falling apart Pentax 150mm - 450mm, Sun Camera here in Canada would not touch it , $169.00 to ship it to Japan and i don't even know the cost of fixing it until it arrives , to say the least not impressed PENTAX
07-29-2020, 03:29 AM   #79
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
To give an update on my falling apart Pentax 150mm - 450mm, Sun Camera here in Canada would not touch it , $169.00 to ship it to Japan and i don't even know the cost of fixing it until it arrives , . . .
sorry to hear about your experience

07-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sorry to hear about your experience
thank you aslyfox if this lens cost any more than $500 Canadian dollor to repair they can toss it in the sea of Japan . Dont want to sound negative, but from the reviews i have read on this lens , where everyone loves it , noting but junk as far as I'm concerned , if repaired will be going up for sale ASAP .
07-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really hope the repair is not too expensive. I was in a similar situation in the past and it wasn't fun. Keep us posted!