Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly at issue with a lens such s the DFA 150-450 is not only its durability and reliability, but also its repairability - and that is a continuing quandary with Pentax, at least in some countries.

From my observations, Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Olympus (for now) don't have this problem. Panasonic, OTOH, has had this issue to such a degree that they refuse to repair even expensive lenses out of warranty. I don't know if this policy still holds or not.

09-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just an update for those that maybe interested , My Pentax 150 - 450 mm arrived at the Pentax Factory in Japan , with an estimated cost of $ 700.60 for parts / Labor , plus the $169 I've spent for shipping ... is it worth it ?? I'm told 6 month warranty on repair .
09-18-2020, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
Just an update for those that maybe interested , My Pentax 150 - 450 mm arrived at the Pentax Factory in Japan , with an estimated cost of $ 700.60 for parts / Labor , plus the $169 I've spent for shipping ... is it worth it ?? I'm told 6 month warranty on repair .
Different ways of looking at this..... but in simple terms..... lots would pay $870 for a 2nd hand dfa 150-450.
09-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #94
Unregistered User

hey sergysergy thanks for the comments , i'm not getting my hopes up , i'm thinking ill never see this lens again , i'm lost without it , thinking of purchasing the DA 300 mm , but may just invest into a Nikon Body and build a kit from there for shooting wildlife , so much more available with the other brands used and new
I've emigrated to Canon-land, myself. Not as innovative, and a bit more pedestrian than Pentax, but fewer horror stories about customer service issues (which seems to be what's hit Nikon pretty hard). Fantastic lenses available for Canon, esp. newer ones from Tamron. I got a 5DS-R, in effect a medium format camera in a dslr box.

I would still be a loyal Pentax fan if their stuff didn't fall apart so easily, and would be even if it did, if they'd been honest about honoring their warranties. Terrific engineering and design, but reliability is lacking. All a matter of opinion, of course, but that's mine.

09-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #95
Veteran Member

If you are going to replace it yes it is worth it but if not then it's debatable (although you would get more than that on the used market I would have thought).
09-19-2020, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is nightmare fuel, and has 100% affected how I behave when using this lens.

In transit it's now fully supported in a backpack, even if I'm only walking 20 feet over.
And I'm keeping it in its padded case or hard case (sometimes both) at home.
Not to mention I keep the tripod foot detached all the time now, up until the moment where I'm mounting it on a tripod. And only for those moments.
And only adjusting the pan/tilt/elevation at the tripod foot to reduce torque on the lens/foot interface.
09-19-2020, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Different ways of looking at this..... but in simple terms..... lots would pay $870 for a 2nd hand dfa 150-450.
that true , thanks for the reply noelpolar

---------- Post added 09-20-20 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I've emigrated to Canon-land, myself. Not as innovative, and a bit more pedestrian than Pentax, but fewer horror stories about customer service issues (which seems to be what's hit Nikon pretty hard). Fantastic lenses available for Canon, esp. newer ones from Tamron. I got a 5DS-R, in effect a medium format camera in a dslr box.

I would still be a loyal Pentax fan if their stuff didn't fall apart so easily, and would be even if it did, if they'd been honest about honoring their warranties. Terrific engineering and design, but reliability is lacking. All a matter of opinion, of course, but that's mine.
thank you DIh for the feedback interesting on the Canon Products , i'm not privy to ether brand Nikon or Canon , i do know i need to put my eggs in other baskets , im not knocking Pentax , ok i am ... just this lens, so far , just seems to be many with the same issue ...

---------- Post added 09-20-20 at 12:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
If you are going to replace it yes it is worth it but if not then it's debatable (although you would get more than that on the used market I would have thought).
thanks for the note Mike.P , my biggest fear is getting it back and not working correctly , I'll never spend that amount on camera equipment again with out extra warranty .

---------- Post added 09-20-20 at 12:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
This thread is nightmare fuel, and has 100% affected how I behave when using this lens.

In transit it's now fully supported in a backpack, even if I'm only walking 20 feet over.
And I'm keeping it in its padded case or hard case (sometimes both) at home.
Not to mention I keep the tripod foot detached all the time now, up until the moment where I'm mounting it on a tripod. And only for those moments.
And only adjusting the pan/tilt/elevation at the tripod foot to reduce torque on the lens/foot interface.
Sorry for inducing nightmares disasterfilm , I have decided to go forward with repairs , when this comes back and works as it should , fingers crossed , it will be carried around as you have described , I carried it as i would a shot gun over my shoulder on a heavy peak design camera strap , the lens being heavy as it is I believe the lock for the lens barrel is not made to take the downward weight this lens carries , this is where my problem began , the lock not holding and finding my lens barrel fully retracted while walking / hiking .

09-20-2020, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Veteran Member

thanks for the note Mike.P , my biggest fear is getting it back and not working correctly , I'll never spend that amount on camera equipment again with out extra warranty .
To be fair you were carrying it around on a tripod with it banging open and shut over your shoulder, personally I would be very suprised if any piece of precision made equipment would get through that unscathed.

I have had mine 5 years and even dropped it 4ft onto a Hide floor with the K-1 attached and it still works as it did when new and it's easily my most used lens and goes with me absloutely everywhere.

Anyway, I think you are wise to get it fixed and maybe carry it differently when you get it back
09-20-2020, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #99
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even my much smaller Tamron 70-200 F2.8; I never carry it hanging down off the camera. I either have it in a bag that supports the weight of it (with camera); or I'm holding it by the tripod mount. I just don't trust that much weight on the connector to the camera.
09-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #100
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
. . . I just don't trust that much weight on the connector to the camera.
Optech USA sells a strap designed to go around a large lens to help support it and take the strain off the connection between the lens and the camera

it connects to their over the shoulder straps
09-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #101
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Optech USA sells a strap designed to go around a large lens to help support it and take the strain off the connection between the lens and the camera

it connects to their over the shoulder straps
I have one of Optech's, and never use it. Just don't like how it fits, and is more bother than practical; at least for me. Optech's headquarters is only 90 miles from me, so I use a lot of their products.
09-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #102
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I have one of Optech's, and never use it. Just don't like how it fits, and is more bother than practical; at least for me. Optech's headquarters is only 90 miles from me, so I use a lot of their products.
I have one too and never tried it

I don't see the need frankly
09-20-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

bottom line I suggest you call Phototronic in Topeka Kansashttp://www.phototronictopeka.com/
Having followed this thread over the years in anticipation of this event (like waiting for the other shoe to drop), I'm am sad report the lens barrel separation of my D-FA 150-450. I purchased my lens in July 2016 (serial number 4409156), and up until today, it has performed flawlessly. I had a sense this might be coming, as over the last few months the zoom was getting noticeably looser. I've always treated my lens with kid gloves, and never carried it in the down position with the lens zoomed to 450. So today, as I was zooming, the lens barrel just started to freely rotate. And that was that. Thankfully nothing fell to the ground, so the only damage is the lens barrel separation.

Given that my lens is long out of warranty, and my experience with "Pentax Authorized" repair centers has not been stellar (I have no direct experience with Precision but CRIS managed to not repair another lens twice before finally getting it right, and then it failed again two months out of warranty) I am inclined to go with Phototronic. I will be calling them tomorrow morning.
09-20-2020, 12:59 PM   #104
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
. . . I am inclined to go with Phototronic. I will be calling them tomorrow morning.
He did good work for me but be warned, he can be slow, he works on the what needs to get done first system, not what comes in the shop first

he is up front about that so take the time to talk to him about it

he works in the PM, so I doubt if you will get him in the AM

as I said he did a good job for me

my repaired 150-450 is working fine

good luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-20-2020 at 01:07 PM.
09-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He did good work for me but be warned, he can be slow, he works on the what needs to get done first system, not what comes in the shop firsthe is up front about that so take the time to talk to him about itas I said he did a good job for memy repaired 150-450 is working finegood luck
Thanks for the information. From what I can tell for other's experiences with Precision, they weren't exactly fast either, so I can work with slow. Plus I'm happy to give my business to a small shop. And it's also good to know that you're lens repair has lasted.