Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 05:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I had to come back and look again

it is a sight I hope I never see personally

the only problem I have had with mine is that I damaged the tripod foot where it attaches to the lens, sheared a part of the actual attachment but it still works well.

[ haven't found any replacements for the tripod foot, do they exist ?? ]
When I damages the foot for my 60-250 I wrote Sun Camera, the authorized Pentax repair company and they sent me a new one. My guess is Precision could do the same.

06-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I damages the foot for my 60-250 I wrote Sun Camera, the authorized Pentax repair company and they sent me a new one. My guess is Precision could do the same.
thanks for the hint but not according to the person who answered their phone this AM
06-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

thanks for the hint but not according to the person who answered their phone this AM
Bummer, you'd think somewhere in the world there would be someone with a Pentax parts catalogue, or one on-line.
06-27-2017, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Wow. Just... Wow
My response when I saw it was far more scatalogical in nature ! Best of luck getting it repaired.

06-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #20

Original Poster
It is shipping to Precision Camera today. Estimate is $312.
06-27-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OMG! No where in the manual it says that happens...

Just had to send mine for warranty service for the less dramatic, but still unexpected and disappointing focus motor death. Just shooting and it stopped focusing part way through. Can't say my manual focusing skills were up to the job of catching peregrine falcons on the move... ...just hope they come back as good as new!
08-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #22

Original Poster
Update: I was finally contacted by a customer service manager at Precision Camera yesterday. He informed me that my lens had been shipped to the Pentax factory in Japan. He also later provided me with a photo of the lens that was sent to him by the factory which depicts "the impact damage" the lens has incurred as well as their estimate for repairs (over $900). I am appalled!!! What happened to my lens? The original photo I posted shows the condition of the lens at the time I carefully packaged and shipped it insured to Precision Camera. At that time, the lens was in pristine cosmetic condition, the only issue being that it had fallen apart! Now I am being sent a photo showing a lens covered with scratches, bent metal pieces, etc., and am being accusing of having caused "impact damage" to it. I emailed Precision stating if it were in that condition at the time they received it, the box it was shipped it would surely have been damaged and they should have informed me so that a claim could have been made with the postal service. Having heard nothing, I am assuming the lens was in the same condition when they received it as it was when I shipped it. Someone, either at Precision Camera or Pentax factory has caused some serious damage to my lens! The original repair estimate was less than $400, and now it is nearly $1,000. Any suggestions?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX WG-3 GPS  Photo 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Precision Camera Estimate - Tag 4556253.pdf (132.0 KB, 141 views)
08-01-2017, 04:43 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sborla Quote
Update: I was finally contacted by a customer service manager at Precision Camera yesterday. He informed me that my lens had been shipped to the Pentax factory in Japan. He also later provided me with a photo of the lens that was sent to him by the factory which depicts "the impact damage" the lens has incurred as well as their estimate for repairs (over $900). I am appalled!!! What happened to my lens? The original photo I posted shows the condition of the lens at the time I carefully packaged and shipped it insured to Precision Camera. At that time, the lens was in pristine cosmetic condition, the only issue being that it had fallen apart! Now I am being sent a photo showing a lens covered with scratches, bent metal pieces, etc., and am being accusing of having caused "impact damage" to it. I emailed Precision stating if it were in that condition at the time they received it, the box it was shipped it would surely have been damaged and they should have informed me so that a claim could have been made with the postal service. Having heard nothing, I am assuming the lens was in the same condition when they received it as it was when I shipped it. Someone, either at Precision Camera or Pentax factory has caused some serious damage to my lens! The original repair estimate was less than $400, and now it is nearly $1,000. Any suggestions?
yes

I would call them immediately after taking a big breath and demand to talk to a supervisor of the manager. be sure to get that person's full name

explain the situation. assume the conversation is being recorded and act accordingly

do not lose your temper or say anything stupid

tell them you can send them a copy of a photo of the lens as it was when you shipped it if you can

if you didn't take photos then, you have the one you posted to the forum

hopefully you have additional photos as well

the EXIF data bears the date of when the photo was taken

" Date Taken 2017-06-26 05:58 PM "

it shows the condition of the lens at that time look at the photo as zoomed as much as possible on your computer to see if there was damage you missed

do you have additional photos showing the all sides of the lens

is the damage they say is now on the lens on the same side of the lens shown in the photo you posted

see what they say about the situation then.

follow up the contact with a summary email setting out what you talked about and what you and the supervisor settled on.

offer to send copies of the photos via email ( if that will show the EXIF data ( on that I am not sure but I think the "magic" of digital is that it has the EXIF embedded automatically

good luck

[ I am required to add this:

" This is not intended as legal advice but rather as a suggestion on how to proceed. Should you need the advice of an attorney, consult one that is licensed to practice law in your area " ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-02-2017 at 03:19 AM.
08-01-2017, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really feel sorry for the OP regarding this "adventure" in trying to get this lens fixed.
As for the reply from the repair "service" ...

Best advice is to follow Aslyfox's recommendations in the preceding post and hoping this will be taken care of properly.
08-02-2017, 06:43 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully you may have a photo showing the side(s) of the lens and cover that they photographed, to show there was no damage when you had it.

Please keep us informed!
08-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #26

Original Poster
yes

I would call them immediately after taking a big breath and demand to talk to a supervisor of the manager. be sure to get that person's full name

explain the situation. assume the conversation is being recorded and act accordingly

do not lose your temper or say anything stupid

tell them you can send them a copy of a photo of the lens as it was when you shipped it if you can

if you didn't take photos then, you have the one you posted to the forum

hopefully you have additional photos as well

the EXIF data bears the date of when the photo was taken

" Date Taken 2017-06-26 05:58 PM "

it shows the condition of the lens at that time look at the photo as zoomed as much as possible on your computer to see if there was damage you missed

do you have additional photos showing the all sides of the lens

is the damage they say is now on the lens on the same side of the lens shown in the photo you posted

see what they say about the situation then.

follow up the contact with a summary email setting out what you talked about and what you and the supervisor settled on.

offer to send copies of the photos via email ( if that will show the EXIF data ( on that I am not sure but I think the "magic" of digital is that it has the EXIF embedded automatically

good luck

[ I am required to add this:

" This is not intended as legal advice but rather as a suggestion on how to proceed. Should you need the advice of an attorney, consult one that is licensed to practice law in your area " ]
I only have the one photo of the lens (which I originally posted) but it happens to be the same side of the lens as the photo the factory sent showing the "impact damage" plus all the scratches. I am communicating with Precision Camera exclusively by email at this point so that I have a record of communications. I have provided them with the photograph, indicated to them if it was damaged in shipment I would have assumed they would have contacted me so I could have processed a claim again insured shipping. I am receiving no replay other than "we are awaiting a decision from Ricoh." I specifically stated to them, if it was not damaged in shipping, either Precision Camera or Ricoh-Pentax has damaged the lens and asked for input as to which entity would be accepting responsibility for damage to my lens. No reply.
08-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sborla Quote
I only have the one photo of the lens (which I originally posted) but it happens to be the same side of the lens as the photo the factory sent showing the "impact damage" plus all the scratches. I am communicating with Precision Camera exclusively by email at this point so that I have a record of communications. I have provided them with the photograph, indicated to them if it was damaged in shipment I would have assumed they would have contacted me so I could have processed a claim again insured shipping. I am receiving no replay other than "we are awaiting a decision from Ricoh." I specifically stated to them, if it was not damaged in shipping, either Precision Camera or Ricoh-Pentax has damaged the lens and asked for input as to which entity would be accepting responsibility for damage to my lens. No reply.
good luck
08-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is so bizarre! Are you sure the damaged lens they picture is actually your lens?
08-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
This is so bizarre! Are you sure the damaged lens they picture is actually your lens?
Unfortunately, yes. The serial number is the same.
08-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How was it packed for shipping? It seems the box would have had to have been kicked around the mailroom a couple of times for that sort of damage!