Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Sad to say this failure has just happened to me. I'm in Tanzania at the moment and can't deal with the repair until I return to the US but the darn thing just came apart as I was using it. I've had it for about half a year. I did buy it used though...
I am so sorry to hear that! Pentax needs to realize they have an issue with this lens! I am happy to say that mine is being replaced by Pentax though. It has been two months getting to this point though. I am hoping to have it this coming week.

I would strongly suggest, if you go through Precision Camera, that you contact Steve Mongrain. He is Senior Customer Experience Manager. Email is Smongrain@precisioncamera.com. Phone is 860-272-2160. I spent over a month dealing with others and finally got a bit forceful and they connected me with Steve and things went much better.

Also, my lens was out of warranty as well. Please let me know how your experience goes.

08-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sborla Quote
I am so sorry to hear that! Pentax needs to realize they have an issue with this lens! I am happy to say that mine is being replaced by Pentax though. It has been two months getting to this point though. I am hoping to have it this coming week.

I would strongly suggest, if you go through Precision Camera, that you contact Steve Mongrain. He is Senior Customer Experience Manager. Email is Smongrain@precisioncamera.com. Phone is 860-272-2160. I spent over a month dealing with others and finally got a bit forceful and they connected me with Steve and things went much better.

Also, my lens was out of warranty as well. Please let me know how your experience goes.
Thanks, will do.
08-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #48

Original Poster
Thanks, will do.
You are welcome. Also, my lens was a display model when I bought it so was considered used as well. I wish you luck in getting yours either repaired or replaced!
08-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #49
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad to say this failure has just happened to me. I'm in Tanzania at the moment and can't deal with the repair until I return to the US but the darn thing just came apart as I was using it. I've had it for about half a year. I did buy it used though...
Wow! This is totally unacceptable for such an expensive lens!

09-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, will do.
any update you want to share

I'm worried about my D FA 150 - 450 mm zoom
09-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just mailed my DFA 150 -450 to Precision yesterday (9/25/17) for excactly the same thing. Never dropped and never bumped. i have used it for about 11 months and taking it out of the case it just came apart a the original poster said. Unfortuantly I failed to take any pictures of it only including the discription of the event. I may have to contact this Smongrain@precisioncamera.com before it arrives to state my claim. Any sugestions for me.

gatorpops
09-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my suggestions:

I would pm the other posters who have had this problem and get as much info about their claim as possible

serial numbers

who they have deal with at the repair place

the details of their experiences if there is more to the stories than has been posted.

provide all of that info as part of your claim

I am really getting worried about this now

I wonder how to find out if these lenses could be closely related re: manufacturing date

I also wonder if we could find out if this has happened to more lenses than we know about.

good luck

09-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have emailed this smongrin@percisioncamera.com to alert him to my lens in transit to him. Hope it helps!!!!

---------- Post added 09-26-17 at 07:10 PM ----------

My D FA 150-450mm lens # 4405843.
09-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have gotten a response from smongrin@percisioncamera.com this AM and am encouraged.
I have copied my email and his response here to help any who may or have this situation in the future.

Good Morning Mr. Wallace,

I will pass on your concerns to Ricoh-Pentax and provide the details of our evaluation for their consideration on how to proceed. I will follow up with you once I have more information.
Thank you for providing tracking information, I have created a notification to track your shipment into Precision Camera. Once received your unit will be registered and evaluated by our technicians.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact me directly through any of the methods below. Have a great day!

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Senior Customer Experience Manager
Smongrain@precisioncamera.com
Tel: 860-272-2160
Precisioncamera.com

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:04 PM
To: Steven Mongrain <SMongrain@precisioncamera.com>
Subject: Pentax DFA 150 - 450 zoom lens

I just shipped my lens ( Sept 25, 2017 ) to Precision for repair or replacement. I have included a description and the warranty and purchase slips as requested.

This lens is exactly as two other posters on the Pentax Forums Web Site: PentaxForums.com → Camera Help Central → Repairs and Warranty Service → DFA 150-450mm needs repair The lens just came apart in the middle as I removed it from the case. I have been using it for some 11mo. and it worked fine. It has had a Lenscoat on since I bought it. ( Serial # 4405843 Tracking # 739709594448 FedEx )

This email is to alert you to this serious fault with the lens. Pentax is doing something poorly in QC. Please advise as to repair or replacement. Thank you for your attention to this problem.
09-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #55

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorpops Quote
I have gotten a response from smongrin@percisioncamera.com this AM and am encouraged.
I have copied my email and his response here to help any who may or have this situation in the future.

I will pass on your concerns to Ricoh-Pentax and provide the details of our evaluation for their consideration on how to proceed. I will follow up with you once I have more information.
Thank you for providing tracking information, I have created a notification to track your shipment into Precision Camera. Once received your unit will be registered and evaluated by our technicians.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact me directly through any of the methods below. Have a great day!

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Precisioncamera.com

I just shipped my lens ( Sept 25, 2017 ) to Precision for repair or replacement. I have included a description and the warranty and purchase slips as requested.

This lens is exactly as two other posters on the Pentax Forums Web Site: PentaxForums.com → Camera Help Central → Repairs and Warranty Service → DFA 150-450mm needs repair The lens just came apart in the middle as I removed it from the case. I have been using it for some 11mo. and it worked fine. It has had a Lenscoat on since I bought it. ( Serial # 4405843 Tracking # 739709594448 FedEx )

This email is to alert you to this serious fault with the lens. Pentax is doing something poorly in QC. Please advise as to repair or replacement. Thank you for your attention to this problem.

I am sorry I cannot figure out how to reply to your PM. The serial number of my lens that failed (came apart) was 4403169. Evidently it was deemed unrepairable. Pentax replaced it with a refurbished lens. It took two months to get the issue resolved and receive my replacement.

I too feel there is an obvious design flaw with this lens. I would be most interested in knowing the cause of this problem and if there have been design changes made to correct the problem. I am quite concerned about the possibility of the same thing happening with the one I now have.
09-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sborla Quote
I am sorry I cannot figure out how to reply to your PM. The serial number of my lens that failed (came apart) was 4403169. Evidently it was deemed unrepairable. Pentax replaced it with a refurbished lens. It took two months to get the issue resolved and receive my replacement.

I too feel there is an obvious design flaw with this lens. I would be most interested in knowing the cause of this problem and if there have been design changes made to correct the problem. I am quite concerned about the possibility of the same thing happening with the one I now have.
I have emailed this smongrin@percisioncamera.com to alert him to my lens in transit to him. Hope it helps!!!!

---------- Post added 09-26-17 at 07:10 PM ----------

My D FA 150-450mm lens # 4405843.

mine is HD Pentax-D FA 150-450 mm F 4.5-5.6 ED DC AW 4372150

not sure how to read the serial numbering system If I had to guess mine is an earlier production.

no problem yet but with three reported incidents I wonder if I should be worried.

mine was not bought from a dealer but on the "experienced" market so I doubt if I would get any warranty protection.

anyone has any thoughts about preventative actions

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-30-2017 at 06:38 AM.
09-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tracked my lens to CT and it is supposed to be delivered Monday Oct 2. Hope to hear somthing before long.
10-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the most recent contact with Precision. The Responded with at phone call some 4 or 5 days afer recieving my lens and said they were giving it to the technitions for evaluation.. I have heard nothing since so I sent this most recent email to Steven Mongrain for a response. Hope i hear some thing soon.

Since I haven’t heard from you I thought that I would check back in on my lens and find out what your technicians found and what solution is being taken. It has been several weeks and a determination should be available. Please advise soon as the “birding season” is about to start for me. I need my lens or a new one as it is under warranty. Look to hear from you soon.

Gary Wallace
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:32 AM
To: GARY WALLACE
Subject: RE: Pentax DFA 150 - 450 zoom lens

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Precisioncamera.com

Gary Wallace
541-990-7166
595 NW Rondo Street
Albany OR 97321
wallyg1@msn.com

10-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i recieved a reply next day from Steven Mongrain at Precision on my lens and the following is his respons: I hope Ricoh / Pentax get it right and send it back soon.

Good Morning Gary,

I sent an a request for an update yesterday to Ricoh and just heard back a few moments ago. Ricoh has advised the lens should proceed as repair to the Ricoh-Pentax factory overseas as a warranty repair. Precision’s evaluation only entailed that there was no customer abuse to lens to cause the barrel separation. The repair required would need to be determined by the Ricoh-Pentax factory for this model, and specific issue of the barrel separation.

I will ensure this ships to the Ricoh-Pentax factory today and request if the repair can be expedited. Typical turnaround time is 3-5 weeks with ship days included, but I will work with Ricoh to get this back to you as quickly as possible in good working order.

If you have any questions or further concerns please let me know.

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Precisioncamera.com

Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:47 PM

Since I haven’t heard from you I thought that I would check back in on my lens and find out what your technicians found and what solution is being taken. It has been several weeks and a determination should be available. Please advise soon as the “birding season” is about to start for me. I need my lens or a new one as it is under warranty. Look to hear from you soon.

Gary Wallace

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Precisioncamera.com

Gary Wallace
541-990-7166
595 NW Rondo Street
Albany OR 97321
wallyg1@msn.com

12-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i recieved a reply next day from Steven Mongrain at Precision on my lens and the following is his respons: I hope Ricoh / Pentax get it right and send it back soon.

Good Morning Gary,

I sent an a request for an update yesterday to Ricoh and just heard back a few moments ago. Ricoh has advised the lens should proceed as repair to the Ricoh-Pentax factory overseas as a warranty repair. Precision’s evaluation only entailed that there was no customer abuse to lens to cause the barrel separation. The repair required would need to be determined by the Ricoh-Pentax factory for this model, and specific issue of the barrel separation.

I will ensure this ships to the Ricoh-Pentax factory today and request if the repair can be expedited. Typical turnaround time is 3-5 weeks with ship days included, but I will work with Ricoh to get this back to you as quickly as possible in good working order.

If you have any questions or further concerns please let me know.

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Precisioncamera.com

Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:47 PM

Gary Wallace

Regards,
Steve Mongrain
Precisioncamera.com

Gary Wallace
541-990-7166
595 NW Rondo Street
Albany OR 97321
wallyg1@msn.com

I mailed my DFA 150-450 lense to Precision on Sept 19,2017 and emailed, Smongrain@precisioncamera expaining that the lens was on its way and the condition.
I finally got back the same lens from Ricoh/Pentax repaired. However I was in the haspital recovering from a heart attack. My daughter in law signed for the lens on Novenber 29, 2017.
It has been a couple of weeks and finally got to use it a little yesterday as we went to a refuge near hear and, with my wife driveing I was able to see that it actualy worked.
Will do more testing as soon as I am able. Other than the long duration without the lens, I am satisfied with Precision's handeling of the situation. Dissapointed with Ricoh/Pentax however.