Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I just don't trust that much weight on the connector to the camera.
I don't know why camera manufactures supply lenses in this size and weight category places one can attach straps to as a place to attach shoulder straps.

Both of the wildlife lenses a use have this and I use them regularly

Frankly if the lens start to get around the 4lbs mark and is longer than 1 foot it could be a deciding factor in the purchase of the lens

09-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #107
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great addition; however, most (I would guess) don't have this nifty feature. I could rig up a strap to the foot of the lens; but again, I'm simply careful handling the lens.
09-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #108
Pentaxian

I have never liked attaching a strap to a lens via anything attached to the lens foot unless there are 2 point of contact. I have seen to many come loose or break that even when using a swiss adapter on a foot it I use 2 points to anchor
09-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Both of the wildlife lenses a use have this and I use them regularly
Ian I am trying to imagine using your rig.
Is your kayak like a fighter plane and you have to point the kayak bow at the target. Then you use live view and a bit of elevation in the mount to get the target framed? (I guess you dont practice greenland rolls with the mount installed.)

09-20-2020, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Ian I am trying to imagine using your rig.
Is your kayak like a fighter plane and you have to point the kayak bow at the target. Then you use live view and a bit of elevation in the mount to get the target framed? (I guess you dont practice greenland rolls with the mount installed.)
I try not to

It swings up into place for use
09-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #111
Pentaxian

It swings up into place for use
ah okay, thats clear to me now...
09-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Having followed this thread over the years in anticipation of this event (like waiting for the other shoe to drop), I'm am sad report the lens barrel separation of my D-FA 150-450. I purchased my lens in July 2016 (serial number 4409156), and up until today, it has performed flawlessly. I had a sense this might be coming, as over the last few months the zoom was getting noticeably looser. I've always treated my lens with kid gloves, and never carried it in the down position with the lens zoomed to 450. So today, as I was zooming, the lens barrel just started to freely rotate. And that was that. Thankfully nothing fell to the ground, so the only damage is the lens barrel separation.

Given that my lens is long out of warranty, and my experience with "Pentax Authorized" repair centers has not been stellar (I have no direct experience with Precision but CRIS managed to not repair another lens twice before finally getting it right, and then it failed again two months out of warranty) I am inclined to go with Phototronic. I will be calling them tomorrow morning.
Another Victim of this stellar lens , sorry to hear of this Dave , i do hope it is repairable given the dollars that are put out for this lens , best regards Alan

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 05:03 PM ----------

Another Victim of this stellar lens , sorry to hear of this Dave , i do hope it is repairable given the dollars that are put out for this lens , best regards Alan

10-14-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 05:03 PM ----------

I finally got around to sending my D-FA150-450 to Mike at Phototronic.biz per Aslyfox's recommendation. After talking with Mike, I'm confident he can make the repair, or at worst, just make it a fixed 450mm lens.

Also, found out that he is familiar with the aperture block issue that many Pentax cameras suffer, and had a relatively inexpensive repair for that too (he said he doesn't actually replace the solenoid, but has a work around that fixes the issue). So I sent him my aperture blocked K-30 too. Getting everything fixed.
10-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #114
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I finally got around to sending my D-FA150-450 to Mike at Phototronic.biz per Aslyfox's recommendation. After talking with Mike, I'm confident he can make the repair, or at worst, just make it a fixed 450mm lens.

Also, found out that he is familiar with the aperture block issue that many Pentax cameras suffer, and had a relatively inexpensive repair for that too (he said he doesn't actually replace the solenoid, but has a work around that fixes the issue). So I sent him my aperture blocked K-30 too. Getting everything fixed.
I hope it works out well

if you don't mind, keep us posted
10-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never liked attaching a strap to a lens via anything attached to the lens foot unless there are 2 point of contact. I have seen to many come loose or break that even when using a swiss adapter on a foot it I use 2 points to anchor
Late comer to the news in this thread, but I would 100% advise against anchoring a strap with all contact bearing on the 150-450 tripod foot.
The photos in this thread give plenty of evidence that the foot is not capable of withstanding excessive force.

I had the same thing happen to my D-FA foot, like @vegasdenny's photos in that thread indicate.
10-22-2020, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #116
Pentaxian

Lens has returned

Well my 150 - 450mm DFA Pentax has returned from Japan repaired , this is the first chance I had to try it out , it appears to be normal , shot with the K 1 , its Now a $4000.00 Lens
Attached Images

10-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's hope that from now on it just brings you good pictures
10-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Let's hope that from now on it just brings you good pictures
with fingers crossed sergysergy