Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

W90 immersed in salt water no longer working

I would like to find a schematic for W90 so I can attempted to repair/clean it as the camera value is probably less that repair cost. Any help would be appreciated!

07-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tyrone Quote
I would like to find a schematic for W90 so I can attempted to repair/clean it as the camera value is probably less that repair cost. Any help would be appreciated!
Sorry, but, in most cases, electronics meeting salt water, is the kiss of death. Further, as far as I know schematics / service manuals are typically unavailable.
07-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Sorry, but, in most cases, electronics meeting salt water, is the kiss of death. Further, as far as I know schematics / service manuals are typically unavailable.
i am hoping that's not the case , someone else said theirs had similar issue and was able to take it a part a clean with distilled water. I guess i'll just attempt to take it apart and see what happens.
07-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Be forewarned: if you do end up taking it apart and successfully get it working, chances are it won't end up watertight when you put it back together, so I wouldn't take it snorkeling anymore...
yeah , already considered that, gonna try anyway it not doing anything for me as it is.

07-14-2017, 03:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back when I used to use a Nikonos, the seals, which were much larger, had to be assiduously cleaned and have a layer of silicone grease applied every time you changed a roll, and even then, once in a while a tiny piece of sand or just a slightly mispostioned seal would lead to a flooded compartment, lost film, and a soak overnight in distilled water.
I remember those days, but if you did look after the O-rings, I found the failures were pretty rare (Nikonos II) .
07-14-2017, 03:48 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

related question if I may

I may be going out onto salt water with a K 3, K 5 II and/or K 1 along with several lenses some with WR rating, some not

what suggestions do you folks have for protection of such equipment, especially the lenses without WR rating

would WR be sufficient to protect the equipment from any damage/issue so long as there isn't immersion ??

would wiping it off with dry toweling be sufficient?
07-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are using non-WR, I'd consider something like this.

If you are totally WR, you should be ok with salt spray. Just give it a good rinse or wipedown with room temperature water when you are done (do not submerge, of course), then towel dry. Don't change lenses unless indoors or in calm air with no spray.

A bigger concern than salt spray is sand, which can get in even with WR. If you are on a boat, it shouldn't be much of an issue, but be very careful if you are on the beach. A UV/clear filter is also a good idea to protect the front glass from pitting from blowing sand.
thanks I just chose to get this type -

Op/Tech 9001132 18in SLR Rainsleeve for Cameras

it seems to protect the camera and overall lens and leaves the actual lens and view finder clear

you get 2 units for the price no shipping fees from Aorama

07-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I may be going out onto salt water with a K 3, K 5 II and/or K 1 along with several lenses some with WR rating, some not

what suggestions do you folks have for protection of such equipment, especially the lenses without WR rating

would WR be sufficient to protect the equipment from any damage/issue so long as there isn't immersion ??

Living in Florida, this was a real concern. But after hundreds of portrait shoots on the beach with my K10 D and many more with my K5, I've never had an issue. Plus my K10 D works flawlessly to this day. With non-WR lenses, I would blow the camera-lens off with a can of compressed air before wiping down with a damp cloth. With WR lenses I have a spray bottle of distilled water and I would mist it before wiping it down.

As the last poster said, a good filter is a must on a windy day. Much cheaper to replace than a lens.
07-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Salt water and sand are potentially the most damaging forms of exposure that you can subject a camera to. My solution was to just buy a water proof compact camera (Nikon AW110) rather than risk my expensive equipment. However, it depends on how risky the activity is. Just taking photos from the deck of a boat or from the shore is one thing. Taking your gear kayaking is another.
07-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Salt water and sand are potentially the most damaging forms of exposure that you can subject a camera to. My solution was to just buy a water proof compact camera (Nikon AW110) rather than risk my expensive equipment. However, it depends on how risky the activity is. Just taking photos from the deck of a boat or from the shore is one thing. Taking your gear kayaking is another.
we are considering going on a small tour - 8 guests - whale watching in the Sea of Cortez (California) and then crossing Baja California and staying several days on the beach at San Ignacio Lagoon

obviously I will have to be concerned about sand on the beach and then the wind/spray/waves on the 22 foot boats
07-14-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

we are considering going on a small tour - 8 guests - whale watching in the Sea of Cortez (California) and then crossing Baja California and staying several days on the beach at San Ignacio Lagoon

obviously I will have to be concerned about sand on the beach and then the wind/spray/waves on the 22 foot boats
I think whale watching will be fine from a boat esp as the boats tend to keep their distance. A compact camera lens will probably be too short for whale watching unless they are very close.

However, I don't take my Pentax DSLR and lens to the beach although they are both WR but that amazing video of Pentax WR gear being used in Afghanistan seems to suggest it will do just fine! YMMV

07-15-2017, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for the help and suggestions

you are all awarded " BONUS POINTS " which you can use to buy coffee at your local diner when you add $
07-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #13

that is a very good video but at the end I saw a lens cap on the camera to your right. I don't know if it matters but I caught it. Good vid none the less