Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

MX focusing screen

Unfortunately my MX's focusing screen has dirt embedded in it. I tried cleaning it but the dirt is practically part of the screen now.

Is there a way to clean this? I heard about using lighter fluid or some form of isopropyl alcohol to clean it but I'm not too sure.

If it can't be salvaged where can I get an SC-1 screen from. I really like the microprism collar so would like to stick with that one. Haven't been able to find any on ebay.

Thanks,

Kingsley

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A3003  Photo 
08-17-2017, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go for a beaten up MX being sold for spares, but check with seller condition/type of screen first. I made the mistake of trying to clean the focus screen once and regretted it. i learned to live with tiny hairs and dead insects after that.
08-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I think that's my best bet. None going on ebay in the UK at the moment though, will have to keep an eye out.

Thanks!
08-18-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my MX in the early 80s I immediately swapped out the original screen and replaced it with an SC-21 grid screen because I did a lot of architectural photography (I still do). When I first saw this post, I looked for it but found only screens for my digital Pentaxes. Not an hour ago I tripped over it in reorganising my equipment. It is a C-21 screen with a split image rangefinder surrounded by a microprism focusing area. It is clean except for a few light abrasion marks; what effect these would have on the image through the viewfinder I cannot say. I would be happy to mail it to you if you send me your address in a pm.