Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2017, 10:22 AM - 4 Likes   #1

My experience with Precision Camera

I have a Pentax 17-70 that I bought about 7 years ago. I really liked the lens, but after 2 SDM failures, the second out of warranty I put it on the shelf. Recently I looked back over some of my older pictures and was really impressed with some of the pictures I'd taken with the 17-70 and decided to look into getting it repaired. A finally decided on Precision and sent it off for repair. I really agonized over spending $212 to get it repaired instead of using that money towards a new lens but decided a successful repair would be cheaper than any new lens. Here' the chronology.

Aug 23 - Put in the mail UPS.
Aug 28 - Arrived at Precision and put into repair cycle
Aug 29 - Out of repair and sent back UPS
Sept 5 - Arrived back at home

I've taken about a fifty photos just around the house and the neighborhood and I couldn't be happier. So far (fingers crossed) the SDM is working great, quick and accurate at all focal lengths. I remember now what I liked so much about this lens. The pictures are crisp, colorful and the lens is sharper than I remember.

All in all I've been very happy with how Precision worked out. The quality of the repair is what counts to me. They never sent me any emails about the status of the repair other that that they had received my payment and gave me instructions on how to send the lens to them. They have a web page that you can use your order number to look up how the repair is going and when to expect the lens back. I guess they figure that is your responsibility. They never told me what they had found or what they were going to do, though the receipt included with the lens when it was returnedit did list the types of repairs they had done and the parts used. Now if the SDM parts have really been made reliable by Pentax, I'll be very happy.

09-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is good to hear.
09-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They fixed my RZ18 a couple years ago and it was the same experience, no communication but a good job done in a reasonable amount of time.
09-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

When the SDM on my 17-70 started becoming problematic I decided to put the extra $200 and get a like new used DA 16-85. I hope the autofocus which seems to be an improvement, proves to be reliable. I hope you also have good luck with your repaired 17-70. I really liked mine a lot, except for the autofocus. Regarding Precision repairs I had my HD DA 40 Limited repaired by precision under a third party extended warranty. It took two months but they did a very good job on the repair.

09-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is nice to hear good things from them.
On the other hand you mentioned UPS. Yesterday I waited all day and they ran up with my notice and left without knocking. Then after being on hold they told me they would call back in an hour and didn't. So today I have sat at my front door with it open for 12 hours. They didn't show. Now I am on hold waiting for them to answer and tell me why I have had to sit at my front door for over 20 hours to not get the items I sent to myself. Which by the way they told me are being sent back to the place I sent them from if I am not here today because I wasn't here yesterday when I was 25 feet from the door. Its luckily cool enough today. with the door open its only about 85 degrees.
09-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't say I had the perfect experiences with precision camera repair department though. My first fix was my 77mm limited. something in it snapped off by aging, so autofocus was broken. They fixed it perfectly. Second time, the hood was bent and due to that, the autofocus was broken and aperture iris wasn't perfect shape when size down. I sent in, came back fixed on the hood (replaced the hood but the hood no longer prints this lens is made in Japan). However, they didn't fix the autofocus.

When I request to send back again for the autofocus fix, they want to charge me autofocus $275. After arguing with them, they decided it was their fault that they didn't fix it when I first send the lens in. So they wanted me to spend shipping again and they would take care of it.

When the 77 is finally back, focus is working on manual mode, but autofocus went out of whack! No matter how I adjust from the DSLR, it simply won't focus correctly! I realized the autofocus isn't matching the distance scale. but at this point I already sent this lens 3 times, and the cost of repair is already cost more then the brand new 77mm limited! So I gave up! I use it as manual focus.

And NO.. they never did fix the aperture shape when size down issue.
09-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do we have anyone from Precision Camera repairs on the forums? My lens for warranty repair was received by them on the 5th Sept and the status is still "Received". I called them a couple times but could not speak with anyone.