Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
live view sound after camera being repaired

I got my k-3 back from Precision about a week ago. I had focus issues and on the notes of the ticket, it said:
af unit and associated items repair,
main flex circuit and cpu repair,
af test, refocus and realignment.

description of parts used:
AF Unit and associated parts

So, today was the first day I used in live view, (used it in the last week with viewfinder) and it sounded like popcorn popping inside the camera, and I could feel something moving around in the camera, knocking against the sides. In the 4 years I have had the camera, I have never noticed that sound before while in live view (or at all). I am assuming it is the stabilization inside the camera, would that be correct? Is it normal to be that loud or did something happen during the repair?

09-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a flex cable to the back of the sensor that might be part of the "main flex circuit" that they mention having repaired. If that's the case, it could be stiff or out of position and making noise as the sensor shifts around.

This link shows what it looks like on the K-5. It's similar on the K-3.
Google Image Result for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/RiceHigh/K-5/Inside/1005209_1333816429.jpg

(sorry, photobucket link, so no embedding in themessage)

I'd use it a bit to see if it settles itself in and quiets down. If not, I'd send it back to Precision.
09-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While it's normal for you to hear a sound, especially at longer focal lengths, it should be smooth & consistent, and inaudible several feet away from the camera.

If the knocking noise makes it sound like the sensor is hitting the limit of its travel, or if it's overly loud, I would send it back to precision.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
There is a flex cable to the back of the sensor that might be part of the "main flex circuit" that they mention having repaired. If that's the case, it could be stiff or out of position and making noise as the sensor shifts around.

This link shows what it looks like on the K-5. It's similar on the K-3.
Google Image Result for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/RiceHigh/K-5/Inside/1005209_1333816429.jpg

(sorry, photobucket link, so no embedding in themessage)

I'd use it a bit to see if it settles itself in and quiets down. If not, I'd send it back to Precision.
It seems to have died down, no more "popcorn" or knocking sound when turning it on. Hopefully that is it for the noise.