Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dirt inside my 150-450mm

Has anyone seen this before, it don't look lige dust, it is bigger flakes. I saw the spots 2 month ago.
There is nothing to se on the pictures, still razer sharp!
Pictures taken from the cameramount.
It is over waranty so I think I have to send it to repair and pay.

Erikro

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that inside, or just on the back of, the rear element? Have you used a dust blower (obvious, I know, but worth asking!)...
10-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is inside. I have tried with a dust blower.

Last edited by erikro; 10-11-2017 at 07:28 AM.
10-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
It is inside. I have tried with a dust blower.
Hmmm. That's a surprising amount of rather large debris. Obviously, it's possible for the 150-450 to suck in some dust and moisture, even with the weather resistant construction, but with your example I wonder if there's something internal - a broken or worn part - that's generating the debris. Personally, I'd send it in for service.

10-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been thinking the same thing, some plastic or painting, but I can't feel anything when zooming and the af is also working perfect.
10-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would keep an eye on this, and see if it gets worse. The size of the chunks does raise concerns, but I guess if they're not showing up in your photos, then there's no urgent need to service the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They look like gear shavings or barrel rub-offs to me. If its under warranty.. get it cleaned and or return it. Too much to ignore IMHO and it will certainly show on slow shutter I am thinking given the amount.

10-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just heard from Cameraservice in Sweden, estimated repairprice $900 !!!
They have to send it to Japan and I have to wait 10 weeks to get it back!
Now I have to deside what to do, get it back with no cleaning or spend a lot of money.
The lens is 2 years and 3 month old.
What would you do?
10-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
Just heard from Cameraservice in Sweden, estimated repairprice $900 !!!
They have to send it to Japan and I have to wait 10 weeks to get it back!
Now I have to deside what to do, get it back with no cleaning or spend a lot of money.
The lens is 2 years and 3 month old.
What would you do?
That sounds excessive, but I don't know what other options are available in your area. Have you contacted any other repair facilities to get some other quotes?

I guess the decision boils down to how important the lens is to you. If it's a vital tool for your hobby or work, then getting it repaired is still a lot cheaper than buying a new one to replace it. Otherwise, you could sell it privately with full disclosure of the dirt problem to potential buyers, and use the money towards a new one (or a different lens altogether)...
10-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There must be a camera dealer in the area/Dk with the skills to dismantle and clean Pentax lenses - I have a similar problem with dust inside my 300mm PLM lens (bought in February).
We 'just' have to find the one.