Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Repair of K-50 with 18-135mm WR Lens

Hello,

My camera fell from the Tripod on a hard floor which smashed entirely the filter glass. There does not seem to be damage on the glass of the lenses, however the filter (Hoya) does not want to unscrew and seemingly there is a damage to the screws. Do you think that this can be repaired and is it likely that the cost will be more than the cost of new lenses of the same type?

Secondly the camera seems to work okay on automatic mode, but when turned to manual mode it only produces pictures which are fully black. My husband suggested that this could be a problem with the sensor as the mirror looks undamaged, but again we are not sure. Do you know if this could be repaired?

I feel terrible as the camera is my husband's and he loves using it, but toddler pushed it to the floor by accident. I am concerned that if I send this for repair it might cost too much and be better to buy a new camera and lenses entirely.

Thank you for your help!

Tsvetelina

11-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You would have to send the gear in to get a quote. A few things you can to narrow things down is to check if the shutter and lens diaphragm are operating properly. Does live view work too? If so, then maybe the problem isn't as serious as it sounds.

The value of this combo is $500-600, so I'd say you may be able to get it repaired for less than the cost of a full replacement. Best of luck and sorry to hear this happened!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsvetelina Quote
My camera fell from the Tripod on a hard floor which smashed entirely the filter glass. There does not seem to be damage on the glass of the lenses, however the filter (Hoya) does not want to unscrew and seemingly there is a damage to the screws. Do you think that this can be repaired and is it likely that the cost will be more than the cost of new lenses of the same type?
If the glass is fully removed from the filter ring - it should serve the same purpose as the original filter ring but would protrude slightly. If you can remove the remaining glass from that ring you may be able to simply leave it there. If not try a filter wrench designed for that purpose. These can help you remove the existing filter:
amazon.com : Camera Lens Filter Wrench Set for 46mm-62mm Filters, Package of 2 : Camera Lens Accessories : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Secondly the camera seems to work okay on automatic mode, but when turned to manual mode it only produces pictures which are fully black. My husband suggested that this could be a problem with the sensor as the mirror looks undamaged, but again we are not sure. Do you know if this could be repaired?
First there are a lot of possible things going on here. It seems unlikely that the sensor is damaged if you get pictures in automatic mode. Can you try another lens? There are multiple automatic modes - which one or one's work?

I feel terrible as the camera is my husband's and he loves using it, but toddler pushed it to the floor by accident. I am concerned that if I send this for repair it might cost too much and be better to buy a new camera and lenses entirely.

Thank you for your help!

Tsvetelina
Cost for repair as Adam says can be established by a repair estimate to a degree. My guess is that a repair for the bent filter ring is something you could get done locally if you can find a camera repair shop. That may not require any pentax specific parts. The camera/lens combo not working on some modes is more concerning. It could end up costing as much as half or more of the value to repair if something costly is broken. Another option might be to see if someone else with a Pentax body / lens can test your lens and your body to determine if they are working with their lens / body. Then you could consider replacing only the broken item if only one is affected.
11-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1st: the filter is removable. Using a rubber band on it, or something called lens filter wrench, or by pushing the filter on a highly friction surface and turning the lens. Anyway, it is repairable.
2nd: Do you have another DA lens that you can try on the K50? Did you get the same black image at manual model? If yes to both, maybe the camera has issue. Not sure why the problem shows at manual model only. Maybe sell it to someone never need manual model to get some $ back for a new camera?
3rd: if the black image issue happens only to 18-135, then try to move the aperture lever on the rear end to see if it was bent.

At least you can find out which part has issue, lens or camera. and then you can decide if it is worth to repair it.

11-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
1st: the filter is removable. Using a rubber band on it, or something called lens filter wrench, or by pushing the filter on a highly friction surface and turning the lens. Anyway, it is repairable.
Are you insured? Check with your insurance agent. Grahame mentions a highly friction surface, we have a rubber jar opener in the kitchen that works well for this kind of thing. Good luck, you've already had the bad luck.