Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
60-250 SDM going bad or a different issue?

Had my DA* 60-250 for about 1.5 years. I purchased it new. Recently a few times the auto focus has stopped working. Here is what I have experienced:

Been using it for an hour or more and then all of a sudden I notice it isnít focusing. I notice it sounds like it is trying with a momentary electrical squeak. Trying to manually focus I notice the outside barrel used to manually focus is not reliably moving the mechanism (looking through the window where the focus distance shows it moves slightly then stops). After manually working the focus barrel back and forth zooming etc. and not feeling anything mechanically binding it seems to start working again....

1) do you think it is mechanical?
2) do you think it is electronic (SDM)?
3) any tests I can do to confirm?
4) where do you think I should get it repaired?

Thanks

11-13-2017, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
My copy (bought used around a year ago) suffers from the same issue on rare occasion (3 times over the past year). The quick fix is to use a small screwdriver to turn the focus drive screw. Works every time. It's not the infamous SDM issue. I believe it's some issue where the clutch that engages between quick shift focus and SDM driven focus gets stuck between the two, engaging nothing and making the strange sound as a result.
11-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
My copy (bought used around a year ago) suffers from the same issue on rare occasion (3 times over the past year). The quick fix is to use a small screwdriver to turn the focus drive screw. Works every time. It's not the infamous SDM issue. I believe it's some issue where the clutch that engages between quick shift focus and SDM driven focus gets stuck between the two, engaging nothing and making the strange sound as a result.
Thank you- I will start carrying a tiny screwdriver and give it a try next time
11-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
j5m
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where is the focus drive screw?

11-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidDwight Quote
Had my DA* 60-250 for about 1.5 years. I purchased it new. Recently a few times the auto focus has stopped working. Here is what I have experienced:

Been using it for an hour or more and then all of a sudden I notice it isnít focusing. I notice it sounds like it is trying with a momentary electrical squeak.
Sounds like the infamous Pentax SDM-failure. Just google around for that term and you'll find plenty of material
11-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

Look at the camera mount end of the lens. On the face of the mounting ring, you will see what looks like a small slotted screw. That's it.
11-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
j5m
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the camera mount end of the lens. On the face of the mounting ring, you will see what looks like a small slotted screw. That's it.
Got it. Thanks. Had this problem with my 16-50.
11-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by j5m Quote
Got it. Thanks. Had this problem with my 16-50.
Good luck. I've never heard of this specific issue happening with the 16-50, i.e. hearing internal motor/mechanism sounds and not being able to manually focus in addition to auto focus not working. If your 16-50 is totally unresponsive in terms of autofocus (i.e. no sound of motor/mechanism), but still allows you to manually focus using quick shift, I suspect you may have a dead SDM motor.