Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #1

K-50 - Opps, what did I break?

So I was inside of my K-50 to repair the 'dark image' problem and managed to snap one of the ribbons from the top of the camera body. What did I break? What functionality did I lose? I think it may have something to do with the flash. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you,

Tom in CT

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HTC Desire 510  Photo 
11-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Without the parts list or circuit diagram I have no idea of what the cable connects. Could be flash related. Could be for the green button and power switch on the top plate. Put it back together and see what doesn't work.

BTW: according to some posters the DIY repair can be done without removing the top plate.
11-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm thinking you just lost all the controls on the top plate.
11-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Without the parts list or circuit diagram I have no idea of what the cable connects. Could be flash related. Could be for the green button and power switch on the top plate. Put it back together and see what doesn't work.

BTW: according to some posters the DIY repair can be done without removing the top plate.
Yeah, it still needs to be free to lift the front face off since it is lipped under the top plate slightly. But I should have placed it back on when doing the repair to the aperture motor. My mistake... I'll make more. Got a K-50 paperweight laying around?

11-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I'm thinking you just lost all the controls on the top plate.
I can confirm I can not longer use the LV/trash button left of the viewfinder and can no longer switch modes and no flash. If I can get a broken k-50 I feel I can make the replacement and I don't care what color! My wife's camera. I did endless research before settling on this for an xmas gift 2 years ago. Very disappointed when it failed us. Not a good first impression for Pentax.