Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Non-Pentax Repair Question about which Glue to use on a Camera Part

This is a really trivial matter, but thought I'd seek some advice.

I have a 50 year old Yashica 4X4 LM twin lens reflex that was a gift to my father that he never used. I ended up getting it back when he passed. I recently started back into film with a K1000 and now an LX (for which I keep buying accessories, duh). Anyhow, decided to use the Yashica as B&H has 127 film available. Started to check out the Yashica and the cover on the shutter speed setting dial, which is there only for appearance, dropped off. It is metal as is the dial; apparently the glue holding it on dried up. The residue seems to be some light tan glue.

I can just put a drop of JB weld on it, but I was wondering if there is anything better? BTW - The light meter still functions and matches my Gossen's readings.

Church Key

11-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 44 LM is a nice little camera. I own the original "Baby Gray" 44. I can't say much regarding glue except for the usual caution regarding cyanoacrylate (super glue), the vapors from which may craze plastic optics such as focussing screens, small windows and such.

Steve
11-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Contact cement/adhesive is what is normally used for metal to metal/plastic adhesion where the parts may need to be separated with a little gentle persuasion. Apply a touch to each surface, let dry, then press together (which which why it's call contact). Pliobond brand will have the advantage that you could use it if you need to glue down the rubber/leatherette covering on a camera body.

You could probably use a tiny dab of hot glue which seems to have replaced contact adhesives on assembly lines.
11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, plus one on using contact cement. Very similar to what was used originally.

11-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll see if I can borrow a hot glue gun; otherwise contact cement; thanks for your suggestions. Will post the results.

Church Key
11-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3M Fast Tack automotive trim adhesive. Used it for years building bicycle racing wheels using glue on tubular tires. When you really don’t want to roll a tire off a rim descending at 50+ mph.
11-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Church Key Quote
This is a really trivial matter, but thought I'd seek some advice.

I have a 50 year old Yashica 4X4 LM twin lens reflex that was a gift to my father that he never used. I ended up getting it back when he passed. I recently started back into film with a K1000 and now an LX (for which I keep buying accessories, duh). Anyhow, decided to use the Yashica as B&H has 127 film available. Started to check out the Yashica and the cover on the shutter speed setting dial, which is there only for appearance, dropped off. It is metal as is the dial; apparently the glue holding it on dried up. The residue seems to be some light tan glue.

I can just put a drop of JB weld on it, but I was wondering if there is anything better? BTW - The light meter still functions and matches my Gossen's readings.

Church Key
Contact cement would be best, but Krazy Glue or Gorilla Glue will also work just fine. Be careful with Gorilla Glue. Like all polyurethane adhesives, it tends to foam up quite a bit and can migrate outside of the repair if too much is applied.