Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions about my lens repairing

Hey. I just sent my DA* 16-50 in for repair on weather seal and auto focusing. Is the email of the form that you just filled out's email reply suppose to be instant? Or does it take awhile. I have not heard back from RIcoh or Precision Camera. I am a bit anxious.

11-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless something has changed at Precision they do not communicate unless you happen to call and someone is bored and actually picks up the phone. So while their website asks for an email address so they can keep you updated, they won't use it.

I hope you sent the lens signature required so that you have proof it was actually received?
11-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Typically you should have a number that they give you when you send it in. You can track your lens's progress by logging into their website and using that number. That should give you the details.
11-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Unless something has changed at Precision they do not communicate unless you happen to call and someone is bored and actually picks up the phone. So while their website asks for an email address so they can keep you updated, they won't use it.

I hope you sent the lens signature required so that you have proof it was actually received?
It has changed then. PrecisionCamera's website showed how much it costs for the lens repair and all the other stuff like name and address. It also asks for credit card number at the end.

Here is the website Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

11-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It has changed then. PrecisionCamera's website showed how much it costs for the lens repair and all the other stuff like name and address. It also asks for credit card number at the end.

Here is the website Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair
Didn't they send you an e mail with a web number on it? Log onto their site and use that number to find your camera's status.
11-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has always shown all that information. They just do not ever communicate, despite the website saying they will. If I remember right you can login to the website and enter your ticket number and it will show you the status of your repair. The updates on that were not particularly prompt or consistent but at least it was something. My lens was in 'arrived' or something like that for weeks, then went to 'in repair', 'waiting for parts' and 'shipped' all within a day or so. I suspected at the time they just updated the website when they shipped it back. But maybe they have improved. YMMV.
11-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help you guys. Precision Camera just emailed me back with all information of the inquiry. Here is what it says at the end,

Sub-Total: $212.50
Tax: $0.00
TOTAL: $212.50

11-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's great! Glad they got back to you. My experience was with warranty repairs so that might be the difference, no need to communicate with me, only Ricoh to approve the repair. Anyway, glad you heard back and good luck with your repair.
11-20-2017, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Glad you got a response. I sent in my 16-50 for a frozen zoom. To Precision Camera. Initial quote was what yours is - I believe that is default quote. My work was not warranty work. After a while, they asked for my authorization for a total price of about $280, for reasons that they did not explain. The repair, from send to return, required about 2.5 months - so prepare for a long turnaround time. I checked the Precision progress tracker often. At some point, there was no update and I sent notes asking for an update, which I eventually got. Eventually received the lens, works well. I got the impression that it was not an easy fix, had to send to Pentax in Japan or somewhere distant. So, took a long time and was expensive. Other than that it was fine.
11-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is a frozen zoom a common problem with these? Mine's been functionally a 16-35mm for a couple years now and I've only taken it out of the cabinet maybe twice since then. Didn't want to spend the money getting it fixed since I never used it much
11-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

From most of the related threads it seems Precision is better at calling and leaving status updates than sending out status emails.
11-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Is a frozen zoom a common problem with these?
I have not heard of a frozen zoom that often. Mostly, I've just heard of SDM issues. My lens was stuck at 16 mm, but took fine photos there. I tried to determine if I had somehow caused the frozen zoom problem. It occurred near the end of a 9-day trip to US national parks in Utah and Arizona. Camera and lens was in and out of a backpack often, backpack was set down on rocks and picked up a lot. The lens was never abused or dropped, but it was handled often. So maybe I did something, or maybe not. I was not able to get any understanding from Precision if my practice was too rough for the lens. I thought it was acceptably gentle handling, but there the lens was frozen, so maybe I actually helped cause it somehow.
12-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a update you guys The $212 I paid down is apparently the final price. I had the lens sent in November 20th from Precision Camera, and it arrived back home December 5th, today.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-05-2017 at 02:07 PM.
12-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a update you guys The $212 I paid down is apparently the final price. I had the lens sent in November 20th from Precision Camera, and it arrived back home December 5th, today.
Thanks for sharing the final outcome! That's not a bad turnaround at all, and a fair price IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say that is great work and a fast turn around at a fair price. Glad it worked out well for you. And glad Precision took good care of you.