Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2017, 02:29 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
It should have been easy to screw a metal bridge or cover plate into the chassis to support the flash unit.
At the design stage, I agree that applying strength to the top element of the body would have been a good idea.

Even a body that is [carbon fibre] plastic everywhere, like the D750, has a metal top plate.

The Pentax design choice on this for the K-1/KP must have some perfectly valid engineering or manufacturing logic. But I can't see it.

11-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it might have been prima facie preferable to extend the metal chassis to cover the hot shoe, we don't actually know whether or not this was in fact considered and if it might have been considered and rejected. It might just be another of those necessary design compromises that testing didn't show up as a problem - if it actually is a problem - does anybody know of any other instance of this occurring? Perhaps it should be classed as less ruggedness against a particular form of damage than as a weakness per se?
11-29-2017, 06:08 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Perhaps it should be classed as less ruggedness against a particular form of damage than as a weakness per se?
11-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The Pentax design choice on this for the K-1/KP must have some perfectly valid engineering
or manufacturing logic.
Having worked in several engineering design offices I can assure you that is not necessarily true.

12-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Having worked in several engineering design offices I can assure you that is not necessarily true.
This is not good, i was planning to use my K-1 and Metz flash to take pictures at my family gathering Christmas! I tried taking pictures indoor without flash Thanksgiving with no luck : Lucky i still kept my K3
12-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
This is not good, i was planning to use my K-1 and Metz flash to take pictures at my family gathering Christmas! I tried taking pictures indoor without flash Thanksgiving with no luck : Lucky i still kept my K3
Jus don’t put unusual lateral stress on the flash shoe. Put the camera down on its back, not propped tripod style on the side and flash head. Don’t swing it around with one hand below your waist.

You should be fine.
12-01-2017, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
This is not good, i was planning to use my K-1 and Metz flash to take pictures at my family gathering Christmas!
I would not hesitate using an external flash on the K-1.
a) The Pentax flash that the OP used is very robust and weather-sealed. The Metz is not and I would expect 9 times out of 10 its foot would break before the shoe on the camera would peel off.
b) Whenever using an external flash on any hot shoe, care must be taken to not accidentally hit or put any undue stress on the attached flash unit. I wouldn't treat the K-1 any differently than a K-3, even if the K-3 has a stronger hot shoe.
c) If you use flash OFTEN, then I'd get a bottom mounted side bracket with a Pentax hot shoe adapter.

Vello CB-600 Straight Flash Bracket CB-600 B&H Photo Video
Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Last edited by Alex645; 12-01-2017 at 04:07 PM.
12-01-2017, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would not hesitate for one second using an external flash on the K-1.
a) The Pentax flash that the OP used is very robust and weather-sealed. The Metz is not and I would expect 9 times out of 10 it's foot would break before the shoe on the camera would peel off.
b) Whenever using an external flash on any hot shoe, care must be taken to not accidentally hit or put any undue stress on the attached flash unit. I wouldn't treat the K-1 any differently than a K-3, even if the K-3 has a stronger hot shoe.
c) If you use flash OFTEN, then I'd get a bottom mounted side bracket with a Pentax hot shoe adapter.

Vello CB-600 Straight Flash Bracket CB-600 B&H Photo Video
Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Thank you Alex! Even though i do not like using my flash, those two are very inexpensive and a good investment. I have them on order

12-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
got the cost estimate back from the repair house in Hamburg. 205,42 shipped back to me in "3 weeks or so". the top casing apparently costs 69,62, the rest is labor, shipping and taxes.

They deny any warranty coverage, they say it's caused by a fall. I know this isn't the case, but they're not going to believe me.

I'll close this out when it comes back. Waiting is the hardest part.
12-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigoak Quote
Best I can get:
You know, you COULD try to just place it back and use some adhesive to attach it properly

Just kidding, while it might work the hotshoe would probably not be very sturdy and it would certainly be ugly...
12-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I will play devil's advocate. Around 30 years ago I tested a Ricoh KR-5 with it's thin plastic top cover and mounted a Vivitar 285 flash on it. It took a lot of force to get that to break. Yes, a metal top would be more durable but I suspect that something happened that the owner didn't know about.