Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 - SD Card Slot #2 defect

Hi all,

first of all Happy New Year to all Pentax forum Members !

About a week ago, while shooting a concert my K1 froze (it happens very rarely) and I had to unplug the grip, remove battery etc.
I quickly checked the pictures I took before it froze and the last couple frames were missing.

Because the K1 writing speed is really slow, I can't use the feature where the Pictures are written on both SD cards simultaneously, therefore Im using some smaller size SD cards that I change quiet often on the spot. When I tried to change the SD Card in slot #2, I noticed I couldnt re insert a Card inside this slot. Something gets in the way.

So here it comes, I emailed Pentax Ricoh France and they told me I need to get back to the store where I bought the camera in order to get the warranty service.
I've got a couple shoot already schedule for early january and I have no idea how long it's gonna take to fix this issue, Ricoh couldnt tell me unfortunately. So I might wait a little bit until sending my camera.

Anyone had this issue before ?

Attached Images

01-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are two possibilities- either something is stuck inside (then you should be able to see/remove it with a pick) or the spring/locking mechanism is broken. I'd use a light to check for debris as a first step.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy New Year!

The freeze of the camera is quite often related to dirty (i.e. not conducting properly) lens contacts - on several occasions I had to remove battery from K-S2 when I started to use 12-24. Design of card slots in K-1 seems to be far from optimal - I always have problems with removal of cards because they are slightly blocked by something in the reader*, and it looks like your case might be related to it. Please let us know once you find out what is wrong with card reader in your camera.

*) K-S2 behaves in exactly the same way.
01-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not connected, but one of my card slots' spring is very weak on K-1. I set-up to write in parallel to both and only ever remove the normally sprung card, to upload images for fear of mechanical failure. It's the only problem I've had with my K-1. I notified my supplier that I had the fault so if it fails fully, then I'll have some claim on the 2 year warranty.

01-04-2018, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the heads up, the problem is the system with the spring is broken, I just sent the camera to repair service.

Estimated turnaround time is 3 weeks
01-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Camera came back from repair in 12 days round trip, not bad.
In the meantime I noticed one of my SD Cards is broken, some plastic pieces are gone and I've got difficulties inserting in either K3 or K1, Im scared it could damage the camera slots once agina, I decided to order a new card.
01-24-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I definitely would not try inserting a broken SD card in the camera! Good you ordered a new one!