Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dead K5 and dead SDM

Hi all,

I’ve been quite destructive the last weeks and have a dead 60-250 and a dead K5 now :/

A few weeks ago my 60-250 stopped focusing (sdm...). Yesterday I had some spare time, fiddled about, turned every wheel while pressing the af-button, I temporarely shortened the sdm contacts, covered them, etc.all with no effect.

Eventually tried this – or started to try:
How To: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive + Video - PentaxForums.com
After connecting the cable (computer to K5) the camera turned on shortly, the battery symbol blinked empty and turned off again. After inserting a new battery, the symbol changed from full to empty in less than a second. Now the K5 seems completely dead, even when using a fully charged battery. I tried removing lens, card, battery, waited several hours, no effect.
Sooo… any idea what I could try to bring the K5 to live again? Shouldn't the K5 blink when inserting a card even when off? Anyone in need of spare parts or an idea for another dignified application?

To me the battery indication, i. e. the fast change from full to empty looks like an internal short circuit, which eventually killed the K5 completely. That’s why I don’t dare to mount the lens to my K1. Do you think its plausible that the lens damaged the body?

01-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by chochichaeschtli Quote
I temporarely shortened the sdm contacts, covered them, etc.all with no effect.
Do you think its plausible that the lens damaged the body?
My guess, yes.

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 02:15 PM ----------

I temporarely shortened the sdm contacts, covered them, etc.all with no effect.
Do you think its plausible that the lens damaged the body?
My guess, yes.
01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few weeks ago my 60-250 stopped focusing (sdm...). Yesterday I had some spare time, fiddled about, turned every wheel while pressing the af-button, I temporarely shortened the sdm contacts, covered them, etc.all with no effect.
You shorted the contacts on the camera, or on the lens? If you did it on the camera, that could potentially have damaged it. If it was on the lens, not connected to the camera, that shouldn't have any effect.
01-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does not sound good for the camera..... However, it sounds like what happens when the mirror return motor gets stuck. The motor is in a 'locked rotor' state and looks like a short circuit to the camera. Battery shows empty even on a full battery. Happened to my K-5, was fixed under warranty at the time.

Also please note that the 60-250 CANNOT be changed to screwdrive. The video you were looking at is for the DA*50-135. The 50-135 and 16-50 can be changed to screwdrive. As far as I know no one has figured out how to change the 60-250.

01-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't feel too bad. I dropped my K-5 down a canyon with a DA15 attached. We all make mistakes.
01-03-2018, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
You shorted the contacts on the camera, or on the lens? If you did it on the camera, that could potentially have damaged it. If it was on the lens, not connected to the camera, that shouldn't have any effect.
Just on the lens, not connected to the camera - to discharge any resicual capacities. I also thought that should not have any effect on the camera. Proper designed, not even a defect (shorted) and mounted lens should have an effect...

---------- Post added 01-04-18 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does not sound good for the camera..... However, it sounds like what happens when the mirror return motor gets stuck. The motor is in a 'locked rotor' state and looks like a short circuit to the camera. Battery shows empty even on a full battery. Happened to my K-5, was fixed under warranty at the time.

Also please note that the 60-250 CANNOT be changed to screwdrive. The video you were looking at is for the DA*50-135. The 50-135 and 16-50 can be changed to screwdrive. As far as I know no one has figured out how to change the 60-250.
Thanks for the hint. But with a "locked motor" the battery charging state is shown? My camera does not turn on at all.

I'm aware that no one yet succesfully changed a 60-250 to screwdrive (except this one russian...). Some partial success with limited focus range was made. Nothing to lose - i thought

---------- Post added 01-04-18 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Don't feel too bad. I dropped my K-5 down a canyon with a DA15 attached. We all make mistakes.
Thanks for cheering up. It's not to bad as i hardly used the K5 anymore...
01-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the hint. But with a "locked motor" the battery charging state is shown? My camera does not turn on at all.
If I remember right, on mine it would turn on and then off almost instantly showing a red battery indication. But that was some years ago.