Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

ZX-10 shutter problem (probably a motor or somthing but i need insight)

I started doing small repairs on film cameras about 2 years ago and thought i should start doing more in-depth repairs.

My friend gave me her ZX-10 and told me that all of a sudden it quit working and that it makes a weird buzz/wining sound every time shed half or full press the shutter. I said I'd try and see what happend and so i looked at manuals and innards and what not but i found nothing.

To be exact. Whenever you half or full press the shutter button it makes that sound and sometimes the mirror and shutter blades will move the tiniest bit. After pressing the button about 30 times it clicks and then you can take a picture BUT it doesn't listen to the shutter speed thats set it just stay open about 1/30.

So i dont know whats up. Anyone else know?

01-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's what I think could be going on.

There's a plastic gear inside the body that turns to cycle the shutter and mirror. Often times that plastic gear breaks and is unable to spin properly. Replacing that gear is possible. I think someone here found a suitable gear made of brass metal. However, the gear is worth more than the camera is many cases. It may be better to simply find a working ZX-10 on eBay or something instead.

I've had a few busted ZX-30 bodies that suffered from this.
01-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same thing happened to my ZX-7 I've got three working SFX(n)s though. Butt ugly but they don't break.
01-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I've had a few busted ZX-30 bodies that suffered from this.
Theory is that the only ZX/MZ-series bodies that do not suffer from plastic gear issues are those that are going to and those which have a metal gear.* There is an extensive thread on the subject with posts over several years that detail the problem, the fix and options for DIY.

MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - PentaxForums.com

Replacement gears have been sourced:

MZ5n mirror blocked, etc., post #92

...and the main thread has a couple sets of instructions on how to do the repair.

Steve

* some models such as the MZ-S were simply made that way and some others have a mixture of plastic and brass.