Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 12:04 AM   #1

Dented filter thread on my Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

So I left my camera on the table and as someone walked by, it snagged their leg and fell 1ft to a tile floor. Upon inspection the filter thread is badly dented and I have difficulty putting the lens cap on, with no chance of using a filter.

Would it be worth a repair or just cheaper to buy a new one?

Attached Images

01-31-2018, 12:22 AM   #2

To repair that, you will have to remove/unscrew the "beauty ring" (the ring with the writing on it) but, because the filter ring is bent, you're going to have a hard time (maybe impossible) getting that unscrewed. Once you get the beauty ring off, there'll be 3 screws underneath it, and then the filter ring comes off after you remove those screws.

You'd probably also need to get the parts to replace the bent filter ring.

Overall, probably not worth it, but it'd be a good learning experience ...

Jim
01-31-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks repairable, but ideally you'd need a lens vise::

DSLRKIT Pro Lens Vise Tool Repair Filter Ring Ajustment Steel 27mm to 130mm | eBay

At approximately AUD$40, it's more expensive than buying a replacement of that particular lens... but it's a useful tool to have, especially if you end up needing to use it more than once
01-31-2018, 01:28 AM   #4

A lens repair person would probably charge about the same as the vice tool outside of shipping. Most likely they will have a similar and other tools as well as blacking to repaint/coat the damaged area. They may even include a CLA.

Not a rare lens by any measure and easy to replace. If you never use filters you could always just live with it.

01-31-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reliable and effective method (unfortunately most of the descriptive pics are missing but the write up is sufficient):

Easy filter ring dent removal TTP with photos.

It'll never be perfect but with care you can straighten it to accept filters, unscrew nameplate etc..
01-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Reliable and effective method (unfortunately most of the descriptive pics are missing but the write up is sufficient):

Easy filter ring dent removal TTP with photos.

It'll never be perfect but with care you can straighten it to accept filters, unscrew nameplate etc..
Good article. I've used pliers covered in Dust Tape, they've worked. Article appears easier. As a final step I use a Thread File to remove any burrs and straighten threads.
Good Luck.
02-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy another one, there are loads of them out there for 20 for a mint one. I had three of these at one time that came with film bodies I bought cheaply. All of them in almost new condition. I kept one due to them having little resale value and haven't used it in years.

Not worth repairing or CLA work... false economy!
02-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks similar to the problem I had with my 16-85mm

oops, my lens has a boo boo - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

here is a photo

oops, my lens has a boo boo - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

as I relate in the thread, I went to my local brick and mortar photography store and an employee used a tool to move the damaged area back into line and I have placed a filter on the lens to keep it in place

no charge

do you have access to a brick and mortar photography store, perhaps you could get lucky and there won't be a charge