Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Replacing the whole assembly is much more difficult to do-it-yourself than filing down the horseshoe or replacing the solenoid.
Just a quick reminder for those who haven't yet studied the thing thoroughly.
Good point. Thanks for the reminder. It is nice to know though that the full assembly is available should there be collateral damage to the gear train or the electronics resulting from operation of the mechanism in an indeterminate state. I have assumed that was a possibility due to the fair number of cases (including the K-50 I sent in) with mirror position as well as aperture control issues.

Steve

02-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good point. Thanks for the reminder. It is nice to know though that the full assembly is available should there be collateral damage to the gear train or the electronics resulting from operation of the mechanism in an indeterminate state. I have assumed that was a possibility due to the fair number of cases (including the K-50 I sent in) with mirror position as well as aperture control issues.

Steve
This is interesting... we recently had a chat on an Italian forum about a forum member whose K-cant'remember (30 or 50) randomly produced pictures with a black band in the lower part of the picture (1/5th? 1/6th?), and the consensus seemed to be it was the mirror... but it was the first case of mirror troubles we had encountered with a K-30/50.
You are saying yours had mirror problems as well? were the symptoms similar?
02-21-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are saying yours had mirror problems as well? were the symptoms similar?
Yes, mirror problems. The camera was an early production K-50 and started having symptoms about a year after purchase. The symptom was that the viewfinder image was consistently blurred (mirror not fully homed to down position). IIRC, the first flurry of aperture controller failure had similar presentation and that is how I recognized the problem on my friend's camera.

That same solenoid coordinates the mirror travel and timing.

Steve
02-23-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #19

Be your own best friend, do it yourself.
It's instructive.
I second that. Since I repaired mine I feel I really own it

04-13-2018, 02:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
US Ricoh, in some recent cases, seems to be willing to cover the repair on the K-30/50 on a case by case basis. One poster reports sending in their K-30/50 for some other unrelated warranty repair and along with that repair the diaphragm control block was listed as replaced. It may be that US Ricoh is having the block replaced whether it has failed or not much as people reporting having sent in their K-1s in for some other work and having the mode dial replaced without it having failed.

So if your K-S2, K-30/50 develops aperture stop down problems outside of warranty contact Ricoh. They may just be willing to cover the repair.
In Australia, the official Pentax distributor, CR Kennedy (who do the repairs) have NOT been willing to do any aperture block failure repairs for free outside the warranty period. I just paid AU$140 (US$110/GBP75) to have mine fixed. CR Kennedy said as Pentax has not issued any service advisories in relation to this issue, it's not covered.