Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aperture block repair reliability

Hi
I have just spent too much money having my K30 aperture block fixed by Pentax. I assumed it was a reasonable investment but have just been told that lots of repairs also fail. Is this the case? Also, am I right in thinking the same aperture block system is in the K70 and KP?

Currently feeling a bit rattled! I thought fixing the K30 was a good idea but now I don't know if I trust it.

02-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

The aperture block in my K3 failed after about a month last summer after being repaired by Precision. The current one has been in there since September, and seems OK since.
02-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
The aperture block in my K3 failed after about a month last summer after being repaired by Precision. The current one has been in there since September, and seems OK since.
K3???????? I thought the K3 was immune!

I had my K30 fixed by Johnstons Photopia who are the official Ricoh repairer in the UK. They imported the parts from Japan (I had a new CMOS battery installed as part of the repair). One thing that springs to mind is in many cases, people reporting failure of the repair are not saying who performed it. It would be interesting to know just how many Ricoh aperture block repairs stand the test of time as, you would assume, they will use genuine and hopefully proven parts.

Footnote. Since its return my K30 has been fabulous and it has been well tested as I was also trying out my new 18-135mm. I have smiled a lot in the last few weeks
02-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out of interest, how much does the k-30 aperture block fix cost ? (UK)

02-19-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
I don't know exactly how much it costs but the numbers I've seen bandied about suggest to me that it's far more cost effective to replace the camera than to repair it. I have a K30 that's working fine for now but whenever the aperture block failure occurs, I will just sell it on eBay as being for parts or repair and let it be somebody else's headache. At that point, I'll have to decide whether I need to invest in another camera or just use the ones I've got. My thinking at this point is toward going with what I've got.
02-19-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
The aperture block in my K3 failed after about a month last summer after being repaired by Precision.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
K3???????? I thought the K3 was immune!
The K-3 has completely separate subsystems for aperture actuation/control and is essentially dissimilar in that regard to the K-30/K-50/K-500 models that have been plagued with the fatal parts-sourcing problem of those models. It is possible for the aperture mechanism in the K-3 to fail, but such should not be conflated with the aperture/mirror control failures in the K-30 and similar models.

Steve
02-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
£140 +tax (20%) so you are looking at around $230.

I just about had enough to pay for a repair but not to buy the camera I want to move up to (K3). I was worried that buying another used camera may be buying problems whereas a main dealer service and repair will give me time to save up.

02-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a K3ii but still have the k-30 I haven't fixed or sold yet. That does seem steep. I was going to give it a mate who is competent enough to fix it, but he's not popped by for a while, so thought I might get it repaired.

02-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I bought a K3ii but still have the k-30 I haven't fixed or sold yet. That does seem steep. I was going to give it a mate who is competent enough to fix it, but he's not popped by for a while, so thought I might get it repaired.
A competent mate sounds like the best plan. The trouble with main dealers is their rates are stupid. I spoke to them at 10am and they said the engineer will be getting on it shortly. An hour and a half later it was done, equates to £120 per hour! OK, say £30 for parts so that's £100ph! I really am in the wrong job. I used the main dealer because I want to give it the best chance. If and when my K30 dies it will become a body for manual lenses, because I don't have any mates
02-19-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
because I don't have any mates
Be your own best friend, do it yourself.
It's instructive.
02-19-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #11

Though I've not read every message on this board about the failures on the K-30/K-50 family I seem to recall only two people reporting second failure after Pentax Authorized repair (one in the US one in South Africa (or was it the Netherlands). Two failures from the fellow in California and at least three to five failures of the DIY fix - either modifying or replacing the suspected faulty horseshoe solenoid. One of the DIY repairs involved damage to other parts of the system possibly during the repair attempt itself. Other DIY failures possbily from incompatible solenoids being used.

The Diaphragm/Aperture control block/assembly (part number 77860-G0100) is the entire assembly involving gears, levers, sensors, motor, ribbon connector and solenoid. Pentax and Ricoh use the term block and assembly interchangeably. Failure can occur in any one or combination of the components in the block which is probably why Ricoh treats each failure on a case by case basis. It appears that this block is used in the K-S2 and K-30/50 family (K-500 etc.). I'd have to see the service parts list for the K-01, K-S1, K-70 and KP to see if these also use the same assembly. Supposedly the K-70 and KP use a different block. The "flagship" models use a different block as well

US Ricoh, in some recent cases, seems to be willing to cover the repair on the K-30/50 on a case by case basis. One poster reports sending in their K-30/50 for some other unrelated warranty repair and along with that repair the diaphragm control block was listed as replaced. It may be that US Ricoh is having the block replaced whether it has failed or not much as people reporting having sent in their K-1s in for some other work and having the mode dial replaced without it having failed.

So if your K-S2, K-30/50 develops aperture stop down problems outside of warranty contact Ricoh. They may just be willing to cover the repair.
02-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw this a few days ago and thought they might be worth checking out if one wishes to use a local shop or DIY...

Pentax K-S2 K30 K50 Diaphragm Control Block. USCamera Pentax PartsUS Camera

I believe this is a new part and the date on the assembly is June 2017. The price is right too.

Steve
02-20-2018, 02:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I saw this a few days ago and thought they might be worth checking out if one wishes to use a local shop or DIY...

Pentax K-S2 K30 K50 Diaphragm Control Block. USCamera Pentax PartsUS Camera

I believe this is a new part and the date on the assembly is June 2017. The price is right too.

Steve
Replacing the whole assembly is much more difficult to do-it-yourself than filing down the horseshoe or replacing the solenoid.
Just a quick reminder for those who haven't yet studied the thing thoroughly.
02-20-2018, 03:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sent my daughter's KS-1 to a place in California that tweaked the solenoid somehow and it has worked fine since (about six months ago). The charge was 100 dollars and he gave a year's warranty on the repair. My guess with Precision is that they are putting the same part back in that they are replacing and so it is still prone to failure, even after the repair, but I don't know.
02-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess with Precision is that they are putting the same part back in that they are replacing and so it is still prone to failure, even after the repair, but I don't know.
Or the replacement assembly may have to flaw corrected (see Stevebrot's post above) much in the same manner that the replacement motors for the MZ mirror lockup problem had metal gears instead of plastic. The low reports of second failures of authorized repairs might suggest this. As I recall one of the reported second failures was very early on and Ricoh may not have seen a pattern yet.

I haven't seen any reports of second failure of the K-1 mode dial so the replacement parts may have the flaws correct too. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.