Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 50-135 Horror Story

Hello all let me tell you a sad sad yet very short story. I have a DA* 50-135 that has served me relatively well and although it's been out for a repair or 2 I can't complain. I've had her since 2012. I opened my camera bag the other day to find it broken, just straight broken where the mount meets the zoom ring. I honestly have no clue how it happened but here we are.

What do you all think I'd be looking at for repair cost? What course do you recommend?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
02-22-2018, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Contact Precision Camera. I have a 60-250 that I bought used and messed up with a bad barrel. They just replaced the whole barrel and a whole bunch of other stuff for the flat rate fee. I know some have had bad experiences with them, but so far, they have taken care of several lenses for me, and I'd send more to them.

Camera Repair Service Center | Precision Camera
02-22-2018, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The price for a failed sdm version is pretty low. The lens has lost value from sdm, apsc vs full frame, etc. It might be simpler to sell that one for parts and buy a screw drive converted version. Alternatively the sdm versions aren't extremely expensive. My guess is the repair will be deemed too expensive and it will be easier to buy another.

I am very sad to see that lens in that condition...
02-23-2018, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeremytheIndian Quote
Hello all let me tell you a sad sad yet very short story. I have a DA* 50-135 that has served me relatively well and although it's been out for a repair or 2 I can't complain. I've had her since 2012. I opened my camera bag the other day to find it broken, just straight broken where the mount meets the zoom ring. I honestly have no clue how it happened but here we are.

What do you all think I'd be looking at for repair cost? What course do you recommend?
I have the same problem with the DFA* 70-200. The connection between the mount and the outer tubus was broken after 4 months and I honestly have no clue how it happened. Send it for repair and reactivate my nearly 30 years old A 70-210 (still working).

02-23-2018, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting to hear of a similar failure on two different lenses. Do you all have any recollection of how they were last carried before this appeared? I'm wondering if they were in a camera bag and oriented vertically and if put down hard enough, could this be caused by impact? And I'm thinking that the "hard enough" might not have been anything you would have noticed, but a heavy bag with lots of gear might have some momentum to it and have a bigger "thud" when it hits and energy transfer to the contents than one might expect. Thoughts?

Last edited by clickclick; 02-23-2018 at 06:20 AM.
02-23-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #6

The gremlins have been at it! Did any of the family members look particularly guilty when you discovered the condition of the lens ?

You'd need a repair estimate to better decide to repair or replace.
02-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
It was stored in a LowePro bag. A sizeable one with various other gear. I suppose I could have set it down too quickly. That could be it because I thought it was odd that there were no "signs of impact".

And hah! I have 4 little Gremlins but they are pretty good and honest. They have never messed with my camera stuff and looked genuinely confused when I asked about it.

Flat repair after I looked it up was around. 360ish sooooooooooooo I just don't know. I guess I could throw it on eBay for parts and be depressed at the offers I get. There is also a part of me that would rather buy a converted used one or switch to a different lens. I was tempted by the Tammy 70-200 back when I bought my dearly departed 50-135

02-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I had a Sigma lens with the very same injury once, but that was because it fell out of my car and onto the pavement with a Canon 30D attached to it! The Canon still worked and works - given to a relative as a gift, many years ago...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 02-23-2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
02-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Interesting to hear of a similar failure on two different lenses. Do you all have any recollection of how they were last carried before this appeared? I'm wondering if they were in a camera bag and oriented vertically and if put down hard enough, could this be caused by impact? And I'm thinking that the "hard enough" might not have been anything you would have noticed, but a heavy bag with lots of gear might have some momentum to it and have a bigger "thud" when it hits and energy transfer to the contents than one might expect. Thoughts?
The DFA 70-200 was always carried in a LowePro backpack but with the front lens (protected by an UV-Filter) at the bottom.
02-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flat repair after I looked it up was around. 360ish sooooooooooooo I just don't know. I guess I could throw it on eBay for parts and be depressed at the offers I get. There is also a part of me that would rather buy a converted used one or switch to a different lens. I was tempted by the Tammy 70-200 back when I bought my dearly departed 50-135
PM Sent. And don't be fooled. Precision really doesn't offer flat rates. That's a best guess. Plenty of lenses have gone there only to get the reply - lens is unrepairable or beyond economically feasible repair.
02-23-2018, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really looks like a bizarre failure, and there must have been some sort of impact. The way these lenses are angled from the base would indicate a fair amount of torque. Where the lenses attached to cameras bodies when found like this? In the bag with body attached? I'll often have that scenario.

Regardless, I can see a real toss up on fixing the 50-135 versus buying a used one. But based on my bad experiences with used lenses, I'd be tempted to toss the lens out out on eBay for parts and take the proceeds for a new lens or pay to repair in the hopes it will be "like new" when returned. If you look over on another thread right now regarding Precision and K-1 upgrades, I've got a bit of a horror story though on fixing my 60-250 that I bought in need of repair. I'll think we'll get there - Precision has now sent it back to Pentax, so I feel confident it will be OK, but I've basically been chasing this for months now. I still buy used vintage glass, but if it's a lens I can buy new, I've decided to pretty much wait and save. Plus that gives money to Pentax, and I'll take the philanthropic spin that it's nice to directly support the source. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't some great lenses out there used. Perhaps go for it if you can find the right seller you can flip it back to without hassle if not what expected. I know we've got some good people on this forum I have/would buy from in the right scenario. Yes, I am willing to eat my hat later when the right one comes along.....
02-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Long about the end of September, I dropped my DA* 50-135mm and it separated slightly at the section above the mount. Precisely where yours appears to have separated. I mailed it off to a recommended lens repair service, Precision Camera, where it received immediate attention, was repaired quickly for a flat fee of around $325 and sent back via UPS. Signature was required upon delivery and UPS tried to deliver three times when no one was at home of course. After a brief struggle online, I called UPS to try to arrange that they deliver the lens to a UPS Store near me where I could pick it up. They could not find the package. We started the process for investigating where it might be and replacement cost. Two days later, they still did not know where the lens was. Four days later, I found it was delivered back to the repair shop. I contacted the shop, asked them to send it back to me, they agreed and soon it was on it's way back to me, via UPS. UPS gave me the email notice that it would be delivered during this four hour window and experience told me I might be able to be there. One delivery failed but I was able to set it up so that the lens would deliver to a store where I could then pick it up at my convenience. I was able to get the lens but when I mounted it to a body, it would not auto-focus. Would not even make a sound. I contacted the shop who told me to write "re-do" on the receipt and send it back. This time they had if for a little more than a week.
When I got the email from UPS that the package was being delivered, I again tried to set delivery for a UPS Store so I could pick it but I was unsuccessful. I had someone wait in my house to sign for the package should it arrive before I did and the lens was mine again. The repair shop did replace the motor drive and I was not charged anymore than the initial flat fee of $325. But I was without the lens for about a month. It was a very long month.
The shipping issues I had were no fault of the repair service so I would recommend Precision Camera to anyone.
02-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Long about the end of September, I dropped my DA* 50-135mm and it separated slightly at the section above the mount. Precisely where yours appears to have separated. I mailed it off to a recommended lens repair service, Precision Camera, where it received immediate attention, was repaired quickly for a flat fee of around $325 and sent back via UPS. Signature was required upon delivery and UPS tried to deliver three times when no one was at home of course. After a brief struggle online, I called UPS to try to arrange that they deliver the lens to a UPS Store near me where I could pick it up. They could not find the package. We started the process for investigating where it might be and replacement cost. Two days later, they still did not know where the lens was. Four days later, I found it was delivered back to the repair shop. I contacted the shop, asked them to send it back to me, they agreed and soon it was on it's way back to me, via UPS. UPS gave me the email notice that it would be delivered during this four hour window and experience told me I might be able to be there. One delivery failed but I was able to set it up so that the lens would deliver to a store where I could then pick it up at my convenience. I was able to get the lens but when I mounted it to a body, it would not auto-focus. Would not even make a sound. I contacted the shop who told me to write "re-do" on the receipt and send it back. This time they had if for a little more than a week.
When I got the email from UPS that the package was being delivered, I again tried to set delivery for a UPS Store so I could pick it but I was unsuccessful. I had someone wait in my house to sign for the package should it arrive before I did and the lens was mine again. The repair shop did replace the motor drive and I was not charged anymore than the initial flat fee of $325. But I was without the lens for about a month. It was a very long month.
The shipping issues I had were no fault of the repair service so I would recommend Precision Camera to anyone.
Thanks Matt I was only half paying attention when I looked at the repair quote the other night (4 kids running around). Looks like the "flat rate quote" is $312. This may be worth a shot. I can't see making more than a hundred off eBay from it broken after fees, shipping and other troubles.

03-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

Original Poster
Just a little update. I was quoted $312 and sent the lens in to Precision Camera. After about a week they responded letting me know that the lens needs to be sent overseas to Ricoh/Pentax for special parts and retooling and they will let me know if the estimate changes. At that point I can approve or deny the repairs. If I deny it there will be a $18.50 shipping/diagnostic fee for them to send it back to me (seems pretty reasonable). They were very helpful answering questions once they reached out to me about it needing to be sent out. I told them to go ahead and send it.

Wish me luck! ::fingers crossed::

03-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very sad to see the lens, I guess we should all develop 'do it ourselves' skills (joke).

Good luck.