Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

645z top buttons and grip became sticky to fingers -- seeking replacement

I bought the camera in 2015. So, it is only two years old.

The buttons(ISO, EV, etc.) function normally, except that the button has become a bit sticky. They feel sticky in a way that if I press the button and lift my finger, I feel a bit of stickiness on the surface. After using the camera for less than five minutes, my right-hand finger feels a bit sticky by itself.

Is it possible that alcohol has damaged the surface of the plastic and rubber surface, making it a bit nasty to operate? Or is it some residue or film left from the wipe I have been using?

I sometimes quickly wipe the camera body using Zeiss lens cleaning wipe(contains a bit alcohol, no ammonia) because I needed something swift and disposable to wipe off skin grease and dirt while in the field. I probably have done such thing for five to ten times during my ownership of this camera. Only recently, I started to notice this stickiness problem.

I have now used baby wipes, soap water(handwash soap with water, dipped Q-tips and microfiber cloth) to wipe gently, but the stickiness only disappears when the affected areas are wet.

I understand this issue does not affect camera functionality, but it is getting more and more annoying to use the camera.

Any ideas for fixing this myself?

OR

If the only solution is to seek warranty(out-of-warranty) repair, should I go straight to Precision Camera(authorized repair center) and take that $815 quote?

I may sound stupid here, but will they change the quote after the repair is finished? For more than $800, a simple replacement of rubber grip and buttons seems a bit too much.

02-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #2

The user manual states (page 4, English version):

Do not clean the camera with organic solvents such as alcohol, and benzine.

So yes, I'd say you probably caused the material to break down.

You can try USCamera.com and see if they will order the parts for you if you think you can handle DIY replacement.
04-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

An old trick is to rub talcum power over it (just a tiny amount). No idea why it works but it seems to.